Show Us Your Rig [4]


  1. Posts : 315
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
       #1561

    That's a great rig, Dallas. Good job!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,223
    Win 10 x64 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 15.10 x64
       #1562

    Not sure if any of you have found your answers to the 4-pin vs 8-pin CPU power connector yet, but just in case... I did quite a bit of research on that topic after I saw my XFX 750a board had the 8-pin. It was time to replace my PSU and that was one of the points that weighed in with the end choice.

    The 8-pin connectors are pretty common on server boards, if I remember correctly, they first came out on dual-CPU server boards. Later this idea was also adapted by dual-CPU consumer boards and those designed with overclocking in mind. The main reason is to provide more stable power at higher loads, so unless you're running two procs or (if possible) making your single proc do the work of two, you shouldn't ever need to worry about it. Hope that helps..
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 24,479
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
       #1563

    Lady F you certainly are patient one. I think you are the only member who can disassemble you connectors to sleeve them.

    Dallas7 that is a nice and clean build. You can also upload original pictures. Hit the big orange reply button to get to the Advanced editor, click the Show Us Your Rig [4]-capture.jpg then browse to your image and upload. A full size pic is better to see detail. Ex.

    Show Us Your Rig [4]-p1020799.jpg
    When you open it in a new tab and click on it once more, it's full size.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 11,425
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    Thread Starter
       #1564

    Britton30 said:
    Lady F you certainly are patient one. I think you are the only member who can disassemble you connectors to sleeve them.

    Dallas7 that is a nice and clean build. You can also upload original pictures. Hit the big orange reply button to get to the Advanced editor, click the Show Us Your Rig [4]-capture.jpg then browse to your image and upload. A full size pic is better to see detail. Ex.

    Show Us Your Rig [4]-p1020799.jpg
    When you open it in a new tab and click on it once more, it's full size.
    I agree Britton30, she not only sleeves the darn things but cuts them to length where possible and routes the wires so that they look like hard piping with zero twist in the cable/sleeves.....just amazing. You think people don't notice.....we do and totally understand the level of attention. Your mad woman....mad....and I love it ! You really do need to get out the Nikon and special lights for a final group of detailed pictures when it's all done!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,973
    Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
       #1565

    Dallas 7, that is a VERY clean build that you should be proud of! I can tell you put a lot of work into it.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 26,572
    Windows 11 Pro
       #1566

    linnemeyerhere said:
    Britton30 said:
    Lady F you certainly are patient one. I think you are the only member who can disassemble you connectors to sleeve them.

    Dallas7 that is a nice and clean build. You can also upload original pictures. Hit the big orange reply button to get to the Advanced editor, click the Show Us Your Rig [4]-capture.jpg then browse to your image and upload. A full size pic is better to see detail. Ex.

    Show Us Your Rig [4]-p1020799.jpg
    When you open it in a new tab and click on it once more, it's full size.
    I agree Britton30, she not only sleeves the darn things but cuts them to length where possible and routes the wires so that they look like hard piping with zero twist in the cable/sleeves.....just amazing. You think people don't notice.....we do and totally understand the level of attention. Your mad woman....mad....and I love it ! You really do need to get out the Nikon and special lights for a final group of detailed pictures when it's all done!
    Not only that, but she colors them with magic markers. Now, who would do that?

    BTW, Lady Fitzgerald, this is what a bench test should look like.
    Show Us Your Rig [4]-bench1.jpg
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2,973
    Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
       #1567

    essenbe said:

    BTW, Lady Fitzgerald, this is what a bench test should look like.
    Show Us Your Rig [4]-bench1.jpg
    Mad scientist at work!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 26,572
    Windows 11 Pro
       #1568

    Kelly, you got the first part right at least. Just testing to make sure everything works. I really hate to take the motherboard out because there is something not working. After putting everything together, it's a real PITA to remove everything to remove the motherboard.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2,973
    Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
       #1569

    essenbe said:
    Kelly, you got the first part right at least. Just testing to make sure everything works. I really hate to take the motherboard out because there is something not working. After putting everything together, it's a real PITA to remove everything to remove the motherboard.
    Yes it is! Made a little easier with modular power supplies, but still quite a bit of work if something isn't working right.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 9,615
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
       #1570

    Thanks for the kind words, guys! Except for the two hardwired cables, the PCIe cable (it was already nicely sleeved), and an extension cable that doesn't show from the front, I custom made all of the PSU cables, occasionaly cannibalizing connectors from other cables but usually just buying new ones. It's not that hard, just time consuming but, then, I'm retired so I can afford to take the time. I did do a bit of cheating, though. I was afraid to dismantle the PSU 24 pin connector to sleeve it since I'm color blind and trying to get it back together would have been a nightmare so I just covered the parts that showed with sleeving that wraps around the original, nearly transparent sleeving. I did the same thing with the two breakout cables since the sleeved portion was a straight run (except for that one little kink). Getting all the SATA data connectors through the sleeving I had on hand would have been a nightmare (it would have been impossible with the mini-SAS connector) so I cheated and used the wrap sleeving. Thank God for 3-1 heat shrink tubing.

    I got my inspiration for this madness on the Overclockers Forum (the initials would be OCF but think of it as OCD). Some of those guys are into building custom cases as well as custom cables and resleeving existing cables (I would have loved to have built a custom case from oak—I toyed with the idea of going steampunk with it—but I have enough projects waiting to happen already so I limited myself to cutting away a brace and adding some cable routing holes to a stock case). I'm a rank amateur compared to most of those guys.

    Btw, great job Dallas, grest job! Nice and clean looking!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:03.
Find Us