Show Us Your Rig [6]


  1. Posts : 599
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
       #1641

    Ok to answer all you guys, my mobo has 4 back USB3 ports, of which I need 2. The front ones I connect my Ipad3 to because the USB3 have 10watts of juice, and the New Ipad is a power hungry something something. Even if I didn't need the ports, it would drive me crazy to have a cable that is not hooked into its bay inside my computer...OCD I guess. As for the ram coolers, I don't need them, but they help out with some of the heat dissipation around that area since I am loop cooling and don't have the direct advantage of a CPU fan, not to mention I noticed that ram coolers keep dust off of ram...a reverse vacuum if you will....and I like to watch bright things spin when my nightly pain meds kick in...what can I say, I have a boring life. As far as Newegg goes, sure I can get stuff from there, but since I am located in Eastern Europe, it means asking family in the states to order it, then send it in a package which can cost up to a 100 dollars, because you're not just going to send 1 cable in a package, when I want something I get a bunch of stuff to make it worthwhile, but it's not a problem. Here in EU we have something called Allegro, its basically Amazon for EU. So any part I could buy in Newegg, I can order here, without having to shell out an extra Benjamin. :)
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 3,118
    Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1
       #1642

    crankypenguin said:
    As for the ram coolers, I don't need them, but they help out with some of the heat dissipation around that area since I am loop cooling and don't have the direct advantage of a CPU fan, not to mention I noticed that ram coolers keep dust off of ram...a reverse vacuum if you will....and I like to watch bright things spin when my nightly pain meds kick in...what can I say, I have a boring life.
    That's as good a reason as any chap, I can't criticise anyone for buying things just for looks
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 9,615
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
       #1643

    crankypenguin said:
    ...Even if I didn't need the ports, it would drive me crazy to have a cable that is not hooked into its bay inside my computer...OCD I guess...
    LOL! I'm the same way. Also, non-functional ports would drive me nutz! If that's OCD, so be it!
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 24,479
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
       #1644

    paulpicks21 said:
    I just changed my desk layout this morning and had a good clear out of junk, PC is still on top for nice easy access :)
    Very organized Paul but you have much desktop space going to waste. Y'all have seen what mine looks like.

    crankypenguin said:
    Ok to answer all you guys, my mobo has 4 back USB3 ports, of which I need 2. The front ones I connect my Ipad3 to because the USB3 have 10watts of juice, and the New Ipad is a power hungry something something. Even if I didn't need the ports, it would drive me crazy to have a cable that is not hooked into its bay inside my computer...OCD I guess. As for the ram coolers, I don't need them, but they help out with some of the heat dissipation around that area since I am loop cooling and don't have the direct advantage of a CPU fan, not to mention I noticed that ram coolers keep dust off of ram...a reverse vacuum if you will....and I like to watch bright things spin when my nightly pain meds kick in...what can I say, I have a boring life. As far as Newegg goes, sure I can get stuff from there, but since I am located in Eastern Europe, it means asking family in the states to order it, then send it in a package which can cost up to a 100 dollars, because you're not just going to send 1 cable in a package, when I want something I get a bunch of stuff to make it worthwhile, but it's not a problem. Here in EU we have something called Allegro, its basically Amazon for EU. So any part I could buy in Newegg, I can order here, without having to shell out an extra Benjamin. :)
    Thanks Ralph, I gave the Newegg links for references to find stuff in your corner of the world. I know what you mean about orphaned cables, I even hooked up the IE1394 and I have no blooming idea why or what it's for.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 599
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
       #1645

    Britton30 said:
    paulpicks21 said:
    I just changed my desk layout this morning and had a good clear out of junk, PC is still on top for nice easy access :)
    Very organized Paul but you have much desktop space going to waste. Y'all have seen what mine looks like.

    crankypenguin said:
    Ok to answer all you guys, my mobo has 4 back USB3 ports, of which I need 2. The front ones I connect my Ipad3 to because the USB3 have 10watts of juice, and the New Ipad is a power hungry something something. Even if I didn't need the ports, it would drive me crazy to have a cable that is not hooked into its bay inside my computer...OCD I guess. As for the ram coolers, I don't need them, but they help out with some of the heat dissipation around that area since I am loop cooling and don't have the direct advantage of a CPU fan, not to mention I noticed that ram coolers keep dust off of ram...a reverse vacuum if you will....and I like to watch bright things spin when my nightly pain meds kick in...what can I say, I have a boring life. As far as Newegg goes, sure I can get stuff from there, but since I am located in Eastern Europe, it means asking family in the states to order it, then send it in a package which can cost up to a 100 dollars, because you're not just going to send 1 cable in a package, when I want something I get a bunch of stuff to make it worthwhile, but it's not a problem. Here in EU we have something called Allegro, its basically Amazon for EU. So any part I could buy in Newegg, I can order here, without having to shell out an extra Benjamin. :)
    Thanks Ralph, I gave the Newegg links for references to find stuff in your corner of the world. I know what you mean about orphaned cables, I even hooked up the IE1394 and I have no blooming idea why or what it's for.
    If I recall, ie1394 replaced parallel scsi and I think its for audio/visual, I would turn that off if you're not using it, its just eating up cycles during bootup time and increasing it.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 9,615
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
       #1646

    Britton30 said:
    ...I even hooked up the IE1394 and I have no blooming idea why or what it's for.
    It's also known as Firewire.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 24,479
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
       #1647

    Lady Fitzgerald said:
    Britton30 said:
    ...I even hooked up the IE1394 and I have no blooming idea why or what it's for.
    It's also known as Firewire.


    crankypenguin said:
    If I recall, ie1394 replaced parallel scsi and I think its for audio/visual, I would turn that off if you're not using it, its just eating up cycles during bootup time and increasing it.
    Good idea but then I'd have a non-functioning port, that I don't use.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 599
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
       #1648

    I turn off stuff like Serial COM1 ports, firewire, its just less things your computer has to boot up and less cycles eaten.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1,686
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
       #1649

    Firewire is being phased out now.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 599
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
       #1650

    Indianatone said:
    Firewire is being phased out now.
    Yeah USB3 is taking over, and I don't blame them, I like USB3, I have two USB3 externals and I get speeds of around 130mbs of transfer on say a 10gb file. Not too bad I guess.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:37.
Find Us