Show Us Your Rig


  1. Posts : 77
    Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1
       #1461

    The noise off my case fans was making too much noise and driving me nuts, especially the 200mm one on top of the case so I decided to alter the pins by using a mod I found on the link below.
    What a difference in the noise of the system, which is now almost silent and it has not affected the temps of the system at all.

    techPowerUp! :: Easy 7V Mod for Fans
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 6,885
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
       #1462

    HILLBILLY said:
    Lordbob75 said:
    It is REALLY hard to see because of the lights, but here are some I took:
    Attachment 76616
    Attachment 76617
    Attachment 76618

    In order from left to right: Fan controller knob, Fan LED (will be removed), Cathode Switch (on and off), Key Switch.

    ~Lordbob
    Nice work mate! looks pretty damn awesome, I'll bet the funcionality is pretty good too :P
    Thanks. I just ordered my new potentiometers and knobs yesterday, and today I am heading to school to CNC my plate.


    twdawson said:
    The noise off my case fans was making too much noise and driving me nuts, especially the 200mm one on top of the case so I decided to alter the pins by using a mod I found on the link below.
    What a difference in the noise of the system, which is now almost silent and it has not affected the temps of the system at all.

    techPowerUp! :: Easy 7V Mod for Fans
    If you want to know more about fan mods, I am currently adding variable resistors to my fans so that I can control the fan speed at the turn of a knob. The idea is to vary them from 12V down to about 5V. For me, the noise is nothing, but this might be helpful to you.
    Here is the basic tutorial for now:
    Fan Speed Controller - Build your Own

    ~Lordbob
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 77
    Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1
       #1463

    Lordbob75 said:
    HILLBILLY said:
    Lordbob75 said:
    It is REALLY hard to see because of the lights, but here are some I took:
    Attachment 76616
    Attachment 76617
    Attachment 76618

    In order from left to right: Fan controller knob, Fan LED (will be removed), Cathode Switch (on and off), Key Switch.

    ~Lordbob
    Nice work mate! looks pretty damn awesome, I'll bet the funcionality is pretty good too :P
    Thanks. I just ordered my new potentiometers and knobs yesterday, and today I am heading to school to CNC my plate.


    twdawson said:
    The noise off my case fans was making too much noise and driving me nuts, especially the 200mm one on top of the case so I decided to alter the pins by using a mod I found on the link below.
    What a difference in the noise of the system, which is now almost silent and it has not affected the temps of the system at all.

    techPowerUp! :: Easy 7V Mod for Fans
    If you want to know more about fan mods, I am currently adding variable resistors to my fans so that I can control the fan speed at the turn of a knob. The idea is to vary them from 12V down to about 5V. For me, the noise is nothing, but this might be helpful to you.
    Here is the basic tutorial for now:
    Fan Speed Controller - Build your Own

    ~Lordbob
    Interesting read thanks I have bookmarked it for later.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 6,885
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
       #1464

    twdawson said:
    Interesting read thanks I have bookmarked it for later.
    No problem. If you want anymore information on it, let me know. When I actually start putting my fans into the new potentiometers, I will have it documented on here in more detail than now.

    I can also show you how to add an LED (which doesn't dim unfortunately), or even a switch to turn it on or off.

    ~Lordbob
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,223
    Win 10 x64 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 15.10 x64
       #1465

    Lordbob75 said:
    If you want to know more about fan mods, I am currently adding variable resistors to my fans so that I can control the fan speed at the turn of a knob. The idea is to vary them from 12V down to about 5V. For me, the noise is nothing, but this might be helpful to you.
    Here is the basic tutorial for now:
    Fan Speed Controller - Build your Own

    ~Lordbob
    Awesome tutorial, thanks! I check the tuts from time to time, but I missed this one the other day when I was browsing through them.. I was actually thinking of trying to either mod my existing fan controller, or making a new one from scratch.. Either way, the info there will be very helpful.

    Anyway, I logged on tonight to share the first few pictures of my case mod project.. I was working on the side panel today, turned out pretty well actually.

    First things first, the original side panel (used to be a blue LED 80mm fan in the middle):


    Next I cut the new perspex panel to size, and laid it on the side panel with the fans to see how it should look when I was finished, nothing was fixed on as yet:


    Then I mounted the perspex (8 small screws around the edged of the side panel), and mounted the fans (decided to go with the standard silver self-tapping fan screws):



    Thereafter, I needed to cut out air holes for the fans, so everything needed to be taken off yet again. My narrow jigsaw blades made easy work of getting a smooth curve here:


    With everything in place and the holes cut, it was time to remove the protective covering from the perspex panel:


    Here we have the panel back on my case... As you can guess, cable management is next on my list of things to do, I'm just waiting for my MNPCtech cable sleeving kit to arrive:



    And here we have the semi-finished product, I really hate my phone camera, I just couldn't get a clear photo here... This was about the best of the 4 I took:


    I want to either try make my own fan speed controller, or mod my existing one to also have green LEDs and small enough to fit in the 2.5" drive bay below my DVD-RW drive... I don't use or need the LCD display for fan speed and temps (the temperature sensors are crappy on this controller anyway), but I'll have to do that later.

    When my sleeving kit arrives, two 12x12" mesh panels will be in the same package, so at that point I'm going to do three things: replace the smoked-perspex cover for the front fan, make protective covers for the side fans, and make a complete mesh side panel as well. That way, if i feel like having a mesh panel instead of perspex, i just need to switch panels and move the fans. I'll put up some pics when I finish that part too..

    The awesome part of this whole thing, with the fans at half speed (about 1400 to 1500 rpm), my GPU and CPU are running about 5 to 10 degrees cooler under load than they were. :) I think it's working as intended hey... Hehe...
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 22,814
    W 7 64-bit Ultimate
    Thread Starter
       #1466

    Hello ZaLiTH, looks good mate.



    When I added a fan to the side panel I got the same results.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 12,177
    Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
       #1467

    Excellent job ZaLiTH, looks really nice.

    Waiting to see the mesh side panel and, ahum, the wiring sleeving kit installed
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 236
    Win 7 64 bit professional
       #1468

    Great project. Exceptional jigsaw work.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 12,364
    8 Pro x64
       #1469

    Nice work there Zalith.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 11,991
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
       #1470

    ZaLiTH said:
    Lordbob75 said:
    If you want to know more about fan mods, I am currently adding variable resistors to my fans so that I can control the fan speed at the turn of a knob. The idea is to vary them from 12V down to about 5V. For me, the noise is nothing, but this might be helpful to you.
    Here is the basic tutorial for now:
    Fan Speed Controller - Build your Own

    ~Lordbob
    Awesome tutorial, thanks! I check the tuts from time to time, but I missed this one the other day when I was browsing through them.. I was actually thinking of trying to either mod my existing fan controller, or making a new one from scratch.. Either way, the info there will be very helpful.

    Anyway, I logged on tonight to share the first few pictures of my case mod project.. I was working on the side panel today, turned out pretty well actually.

    First things first, the original side panel (used to be a blue LED 80mm fan in the middle):


    Next I cut the new perspex panel to size, and laid it on the side panel with the fans to see how it should look when I was finished, nothing was fixed on as yet:


    Then I mounted the perspex (8 small screws around the edged of the side panel), and mounted the fans (decided to go with the standard silver self-tapping fan screws):



    Thereafter, I needed to cut out air holes for the fans, so everything needed to be taken off yet again. My narrow jigsaw blades made easy work of getting a smooth curve here:


    With everything in place and the holes cut, it was time to remove the protective covering from the perspex panel:


    Here we have the panel back on my case... As you can guess, cable management is next on my list of things to do, I'm just waiting for my MNPCtech cable sleeving kit to arrive:



    And here we have the semi-finished product, I really hate my phone camera, I just couldn't get a clear photo here... This was about the best of the 4 I took:


    I want to either try make my own fan speed controller, or mod my existing one to also have green LEDs and small enough to fit in the 2.5" drive bay below my DVD-RW drive... I don't use or need the LCD display for fan speed and temps (the temperature sensors are crappy on this controller anyway), but I'll have to do that later.

    When my sleeving kit arrives, two 12x12" mesh panels will be in the same package, so at that point I'm going to do three things: replace the smoked-perspex cover for the front fan, make protective covers for the side fans, and make a complete mesh side panel as well. That way, if i feel like having a mesh panel instead of perspex, i just need to switch panels and move the fans. I'll put up some pics when I finish that part too..

    The awesome part of this whole thing, with the fans at half speed (about 1400 to 1500 rpm), my GPU and CPU are running about 5 to 10 degrees cooler under load than they were. :) I think it's working as intended hey... Hehe...
    Very nice work.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:45.
Find Us