Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Best deals of the day

19 Jan 2014   #681
COMPUTIAC

Windows 8.1.1 64bit
 
 

Amazon has the same thing for the same price but, free shipping :
Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW: Computers & Accessories

Plus grief free returns.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Jan 2014   #682
madcratebuilder

Win8/8.1,Win7-U64, Vista U64, uncounted Linux distor's
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post
Amazon has the best return policy of any online biz I have dealt with period.

I started using the Egg last fall a lot more than I had in the past. I was checking things daily. I learned that they occasionally have a good deal, Amazon is normally a little cheaper. Neweggs "rebates" are very deceptive and can be outright fraudulent. NE jacked prices on a lot of items before xmas. I was going to buy a new APU, it was $179 at the egg in November, early December when I was ready to buy it was listed at $239, Azon had it for 185.

Between the bad rebate experiences and price jacking all the time I seldom buy from the egg, it is a good source for images and specs. I should join Azon Prime for the free shipping, I seem to order at least once a week.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2014   #683
COMPUTIAC

Windows 8.1.1 64bit
 
 

One other thing NE is good for is the links to the manufacturer sites and support phone numbers.
I don't see many of them on amazon unless it is in the reviews and someone has included it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jan 2014   #684
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madcratebuilder View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post
Amazon has the best return policy of any online biz I have dealt with period.

I started using the Egg last fall a lot more than I had in the past. I was checking things daily. I learned that they occasionally have a good deal, Amazon is normally a little cheaper. Neweggs "rebates" are very deceptive and can be outright fraudulent. NE jacked prices on a lot of items before xmas. I was going to buy a new APU, it was $179 at the egg in November, early December when I was ready to buy it was listed at $239, Azon had it for 185.

Between the bad rebate experiences and price jacking all the time I seldom buy from the egg, it is a good source for images and specs. I should join Azon Prime for the free shipping, I seem to order at least once a week.
I usually buy from NewEgg because I have to pay sales tax on anything coming directly from Amazon, causing Amazon's bottom line to be significantly higher, even with free shipping. Even though they will cost more, unless NewEgg cleans up its act, my next HDDs will probably come from Amazon because of the much higher percentage of DOA's Newegg's customer reviews report due to poor packaging by NewEgg. All HDDs and my first SSD I've received from NewEgg were very well cushioned. However, my second SSD came shipped in a padded envelope instead of the peanut filled box the first one came in. NewEgg is reportedly now using air pillows instead of multiple layers of bubble wrap; pillows just aren't as robust as bubble wrap.

Newegg's deceptive practice of jacking prices on items just prior to putting them on "sale" is becoming more prevalent (I'm about ready to start documenting and reporting it to AZ's and CA's State Attorney Generals for consumer fraud). That, along with increased numbers of stockouts and discontinued stock (which often isn't discontinued because NewEgg frequently restocks things they had previously said was discontinued), is why I'm becoming increasingly disenchanted with the Fresh Hen Fruit company. I'm more and more frequently buying from Amazon because NewEgg is out of stock when I'm ready to order

Amazon isn't with its issues, however. They have raised the price threshold for free shipping from $25 to $35 and have been delaying the filling of orders that qualified for free shipment. Once upon a time not too long ago, Amazon filled and shipped all orders within a day or two after receiving the order. That meant, if something I ordered was being filled from one of their warehouses close to me, I often received the order within a couple of days of placing it. Now, orders being filled locally do not get filled until several days after the order is placed whereas orders coming from more distant warehouses get filled within a day or two, meaning all orders take the same amount of time for me to receive them, which means the average amount of time it takes for me to receive an order is longer now. I suspect that is a penalty for not buying into Amazon Prime.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2014   #685
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

That's a good price. The SSDs are getting cheaper by the day.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2014   #686
madcratebuilder

Win8/8.1,Win7-U64, Vista U64, uncounted Linux distor's
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madcratebuilder View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post
Amazon has the best return policy of any online biz I have dealt with period.

I started using the Egg last fall a lot more than I had in the past. I was checking things daily. I learned that they occasionally have a good deal, Amazon is normally a little cheaper. Neweggs "rebates" are very deceptive and can be outright fraudulent. NE jacked prices on a lot of items before xmas. I was going to buy a new APU, it was $179 at the egg in November, early December when I was ready to buy it was listed at $239, Azon had it for 185.

Between the bad rebate experiences and price jacking all the time I seldom buy from the egg, it is a good source for images and specs. I should join Azon Prime for the free shipping, I seem to order at least once a week.
I usually buy from NewEgg because I have to pay sales tax on anything coming directly from Amazon, causing Amazon's bottom line to be significantly higher, even with free shipping. Even though they will cost more, unless NewEgg cleans up its act, my next HDDs will probably come from Amazon because of the much higher percentage of DOA's Newegg's customer reviews report due to poor packaging by NewEgg. All HDDs and my first SSD I've received from NewEgg were very well cushioned. However, my second SSD came shipped in a padded envelope instead of the peanut filled box the first one came in. NewEgg is reportedly now using air pillows instead of multiple layers of bubble wrap; pillows just aren't as robust as bubble wrap.
Is the state tax because the eggs warehouse is located in AZ? I see some online sites are collecting state sales tax and some are not. I've received a few drives in those new air pillows, they have so much air pressure in them I'm not sure they provide much shock absorption.

Quote:
Newegg's deceptive practice of jacking prices on items just prior to putting them on "sale" is becoming more prevalent (I'm about ready to start documenting and reporting it to AZ's and CA's State Attorney Generals for consumer fraud). That, along with increased numbers of stockouts and discontinued stock (which often isn't discontinued because NewEgg frequently restocks things they had previously said was discontinued), is why I'm becoming increasingly disenchanted with the Fresh Hen Fruit company. I'm more and more frequently buying from Amazon because NewEgg is out of stock when I'm ready to order




Quote:
Amazon isn't with its issues, however. They have raised the price threshold for free shipping from $25 to $35 and have been delaying the filling of orders that qualified for free shipment. Once upon a time not too long ago, Amazon filled and shipped all orders within a day or two after receiving the order. That meant, if something I ordered was being filled from one of their warehouses close to me, I often received the order within a couple of days of placing it. Now, orders being filled locally do not get filled until several days after the order is placed whereas orders coming from more distant warehouses get filled within a day or two, meaning all orders take the same amount of time for me to receive them, which means the average amount of time it takes for me to receive an order is longer now. I suspect that is a penalty for not buying into Amazon Prime.
+1
The shipping or delay in filling the order is maddening. I was one day away from the WA warehouse, but now it can take five days to receive orders.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2014   #687
madcratebuilder

Win8/8.1,Win7-U64, Vista U64, uncounted Linux distor's
 
 

Seagate 600 Series 480GB SSD



$299, looks good at first glance. I need another drive like a hole in the head but, but, but this is hard to resist.

Azon is $340 but it can be found for $300 at a few shops.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2014   #688
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Samsung SSD 840 evo series has come down in price a lot, even the higher capacity ones

Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 750GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE750BW: Electronics

Might have to pull the trigger on that 1TB one. Would make me very happy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2014   #689
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madcratebuilder View Post
...Is the state tax because the eggs warehouse is located in AZ? I see some online sites are collecting state sales tax and some are not...
It depends on the State whether sales tax is collected for sales made within the State. Technically (and I believe it is Federal law), everyone is required to pay State sales tax on all sales from online companies with a physical presence within the State a sale is made in, whether online or from a local B&M (Brick and Mortar). Since pretty much no one voluntarily pays State sales taxes (or even knows they are supposed to) and not companies collect sales taxes, many States have been suing online companies to force them to collect taxes made in States they have a physical presence in, such as warehouses or headquarters of some kind.

In the case of AZ, Amazon (not the Fresh Hen Fruit company; I threw that in since you got such a chuckle from it) has a huge presence in the Phoenix area in the form of several Fulfillment Centers on the west side of town. Amazon hadn't been collecting sales taxes on sales being shipped to AZ addresses and, of course, no one in AZ had been volunteering to pay those taxes so AZ sued Amazon in Federal court. Amazon quickly settled out of court, presumably to avoid high legal expenses on what has been a lost cause in cases like this and, possibly, to avoid taking a chance that it may have to pay back taxes. If buying from one of Amazon's Marketplace vendors (which I usually avoid), if that vendor doesn't have a presence in AZ, then no sales tax is collected.

Just in case anyone is curious, State sales tax in AZ is roughly 8.3%. Most cities also have a sales tax which will vary from city to city.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madcratebuilder View Post
...I've received a few drives in those new air pillows, they have so much air pressure in them I'm not sure they provide much shock absorption...
The pillows have been around for a few years. Pillows cushion as well as bubble wrap but, if a pillow should deflate, a much larger volume of protection is gone instead the tiny volume if one cell of bubble wrap should deflate plus the cells surrounding a deflated bubble wrap cell will partially provide protection lost from the deflated cell. Pillows are increasingly being used because they are cheaper than an equivalent volume of bubble wrap.

Pick a HDD of your choice and compare the reviews on that drive on Amazon and the Egg. You will see a much, much higher incidence of DOAs on the drive shipped by NewEgg. Many of those DOA reviews will specifically attribute poor packaging by NewEgg as a probable reason for the DOA, with pillows being cited as the cause of the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2014   #690
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madcratebuilder View Post
Seagate 600 Series 480GB SSD



$299, looks good at first glance. I need another drive like a hole in the head but, but, but this is hard to resist.

Azon is $340 but it can be found for $300 at a few shops.
Watch for sales. I was able to get a 500GB 840 EVO for $300 from the Egg back in December. The EVOs are better than Seagates plus Seagate has a horrible reputation for how it handles warranty claims.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Best deals of the day




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Old deals
HITACHI Deskstar HD32000 IDK/7K (0S00164) 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Retail Newegg.com - HITACHI Deskstar HD32000 IDK/7K (0S00164) 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Retail $139.99 Free Shipping
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Can you recommend any deals on compressed air?
I would even be interested in a socket powered computer duster, if that even exists. Thanks for you help :geek:
Chillout Room
Photoshop Deals
I am seriously thinking of buying photoshop soon, and would like to know what the best deals are out there, and the deals you got. I am aware of the student and teacher edition for cs5, but even 200 dollars is a bit pricy for me. I am fine with a little older version like cs4, but what I'm...
Software
Steam Deals
The Elder Scrolls Oblivion: GOTY Edition Deluxe Save 66% on The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion® Game of the Year Edition Deluxe on Steam Includes: Knights of the Nine, Shivering Isle, Fighters Stronghold Expansions, Spell Tome Treasures, Vile Lair, Mehrunes Razor and much more. On Sale for $8.50...
Gaming
Christmas Deals On 7!
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
Chillout Room
Crazy Black Friday Deals!!
SF I have seen a few threads around about Black Friday deals and I thought it would be a great idea to just compile them in one single thread. This would allow members and guests alike to get the scoop before the mayhem occurs Friday... Here is one I heard...Best Buy is advertising a HP...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:22.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App