Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 1100MHz good or bad?

28 Jun 2010   #1
xXSevenXx

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64- bit
 
 
1100MHz good or bad?

I'm in the process of OC my GPU, the Core clock has reached 1100mhz without any errors, does this sound right or am I doing something wrong?




Attached Thumbnails
1100MHz good or bad?-ovc.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Jun 2010   #2
Fumz

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

You're really the only one who can answer whether it's good or bad. How does it perform?

FYI: with ATI cards, going beyond a certain point (which is different for everyone), performance starts to degrade. The key is finding out where that line is and staying just inside of it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #3
xXSevenXx

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64- bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post
You're really the only one who can answer whether it's good or bad. How does it perform?

FYI: with ATI cards, going beyond a certain point (which is different for everyone), performance starts to degrade. The key is finding out where that line is and staying just inside of it.
No artefacts at that speed, I was expecting artefacts at a lower speed, that's why I thought I was doing something wrong, hence this thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jun 2010   #4
xXSevenXx

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64- bit
 
 

Problem Solved.
I was not clicking the 'apply' button, as I thought it was something to do with profiles, and that step was not in LordBob's tutorial in the graphics section.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #5
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xXSevenXx View Post
Problem Solved.
I was not clicking the 'apply' button, as I thought it was something to do with profiles, and that step was not in LordBob's tutorial in the graphics section.
Sorry about that. Didn't even occur to me.

What part is the apply button for? I am not at my desktop, so I can't check.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #6
smarteyeball

 
 

If it's for MSI then Apply is to 'apply' the settings you've made


Had you actually hit 1100mhz on the core - then that would be outstanding. However it's very unikely you'd hit that with stock volts.

As Fumz mentioned, there is a 'degradation wall' - sometimes that can be overcome with more voltage, but then you run into volts vs heat issues etc. Other times that wall remains a wall and no amount of upping volts will help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #7
xXSevenXx

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64- bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
If it's for MSI then Apply is to 'apply' the settings you've made


Had you actually hit 1100mhz on the core - then that would be outstanding. However it's very unikely you'd hit that with stock volts.

As Fumz mentioned, there is a 'degradation wall' - sometimes that can be overcome with more voltage, but then you run into volts vs heat issues etc. Other times that wall remains a wall and no amount of upping volts will help.
I was adjusting the Core Clock and hitting the Test for stability in GPU Tool. As I was not getting any artefacts I realised I was doing something wrong. Hence this thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #8
xXSevenXx

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64- bit
 
 

I would like to add that artefacts do not always occur with ATI 5xxx series cards,but, you will get Driver VPU recovers and hard locks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #9
RST101

Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
 
 

There has to be a trade off when you oc anything so just because it reaches higher speeds does not mean it will perform any better because has as already been pointed out it can actually have adverse effects.

If games run smooth and true to begin with then my advise would be to just leave it but its your choice
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #10
xXSevenXx

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64- bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RST101 View Post
There has to be a trade off when you oc anything so just because it reaches higher speeds does not mean it will perform any better because has as already been pointed out it can actually have adverse effects.

If games run smooth and true to begin with then my advise would be to just leave it but its your choice
That speed was never reached as it was not 'applied' in MSI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 1100MHz good or bad?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
good music player with good Equalizer?
Does anybody know of a good music player that has a good Equalizer? IMO, the equalizer sucks for WMP 11, realplayer free, and my sound card. I like the PowerAMP app for my android, the equalizer has a sick bass. but it's not available on pc.
Software
Is this any good?
So after seeing that 4k monitor I decided to go have a look at monitors but maybe not at the price point I went on aria and am greeted by this on sale and it looks outstanding! I was wondering is it any good I've not heard anything about Aoc 22" AOC i2267FWh Widescreen Slim IPS Monitor - Silver -...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
BSOD - Restart no good. Saftymode no good.
Im new to the forums, so if im not following forum rules feel free to correct me. Ive tried reading a bit, and im getting that my black sceen problem is fairly common and that i can have several reasons. Now, for more details: Ive had my computer for 2,5 years. 2 months back i decided to...
BSOD Help and Support
is 2.9 ghz cpu good?
just wondering
Performance & Maintenance
anybody no of a good ftp server that works good with 7
hey all i am just asking about a nice easy to use ftp server for windows 7 as for the ones i have tryed out are well lets say crap keep crashing or not responding or don't work how they are ment to so i fort i would give it ago see if you guys can help me out once more
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:53.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App