Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to create a disk image

01 Aug 2010   #1
arbmal

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
How to create a disk image

Can i creat a disck image form RECOVERY partition on my HP laptop ?
Can you help me please ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Aug 2010   #2
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Im not sure I understand.. What exactly is it you are trying to do??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2010   #3
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello arbmal.



Look around in the start menu for an HP entry and click that to see what opens up, there should be an options to create the HP recovery disks for that PC and if not they're usually available from HP for a nominal price, you would just have to give them the PC make/model number.


click to enlarge
How to create a disk image-hp-start-menu.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Aug 2010   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Although it is unusual to create an image of the recovery partition (you usually create a recovery DVD), it is, of course possibe. You can create an image of any partition - e.g. with free Macrium
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2010   #5
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Although it is unusual to create an image of the recovery partition (you usually create a recovery DVD), it is, of course possibe. You can create an image of any partition - e.g. with free Macrium




Of course doing this, the image will only 'install' to the PC it was created from just as with the disks, it will not 'install' to a different PC; the factory image is hard coded to look for the exact same hardware it was created for and will not work on different hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2010   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Although it is unusual to create an image of the recovery partition (you usually create a recovery DVD), it is, of course possibe. You can create an image of any partition - e.g. with free Macrium




Of course doing this, the image will only 'install' to the PC it was created from just as with the disks, it will not 'install' to a different PC; the factory image is hard coded to look for the exact same hardware it was created for and will not work on different hardware.
I guess it makes sense if you want to have a backup of every partition on your disk - just in case the drive fails.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2010   #7
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Although it is unusual to create an image of the recovery partition (you usually create a recovery DVD), it is, of course possibe. You can create an image of any partition - e.g. with free Macrium




Of course doing this, the image will only 'install' to the PC it was created from just as with the disks, it will not 'install' to a different PC; the factory image is hard coded to look for the exact same hardware it was created for and will not work on different hardware.
I guess it makes sense if you want to have a backup of every partition on your disk - just in case the drive fails.


If you were to change the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or any other piece of hardware the factory image will not install, it has to be the EXACT same hardware or it will fail.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2010   #8
Mark Phelps

Win7 Pro 32-bit, Win8 Pro 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
If you were to change the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or any other piece of hardware the factory image will not install, it has to be the EXACT same hardware or it will fail.
Is this a new limitation?

Asking because I had a hard drive fail in an HP Media Center PC (running XP), and I did the following successfully:
1) Inserted a new hard drive
2) Booted from the first HP Recovery CD
3) Reinstalled XP
4) Booted from the Driver CD
5) Reinstalled all the drivers
6) Rebooted in XP -- everything worked and didn't have to reactivate it.

What I read (and my experience bears it out, at least, with XP and this machine) is that the license is locked to the BIOS, and as long as you don't mess with that, it will reinstall without difficulty -- even if you change the hard drive.

But, maybe with Win7, things are different now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2010   #9
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello Mark Phelps.





I've been thinking about this and I feel you must be correct as there has to be some way to replace a failed HDD and still use the factory recovery disks.
Thanks for the input.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2010   #10
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
If you were to change the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or any other piece of hardware the factory image will not install, it has to be the EXACT same hardware or it will fail.
Is this a new limitation?

Asking because I had a hard drive fail in an HP Media Center PC (running XP), and I did the following successfully:
1) Inserted a new hard drive
2) Booted from the first HP Recovery CD
3) Reinstalled XP
4) Booted from the Driver CD
5) Reinstalled all the drivers
6) Rebooted in XP -- everything worked and didn't have to reactivate it.

What I read (and my experience bears it out, at least, with XP and this machine) is that the license is locked to the BIOS, and as long as you don't mess with that, it will reinstall without difficulty -- even if you change the hard drive.

But, maybe with Win7, things are different now.
Yes, still locked to the BIOS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to create a disk image




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Acronis True Image (and Macrium, Windows Backup) won't create image
My system: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit C-drive is a 250GB Plextor SSD Acronis True Image 2011 Background: I setup a weekly scheduled disk image of my system drive (C:) that gets sent to an external HDD (4TB). This was working very well for months with incremental backups most of the time and a...
Backup and Restore
create a systam image - no hard disk listed
Hello everyone I want to make windows 7 system image but when it asks me where to save backup there is no hard disk listied. I need it very much, if someone knows anything, help pls there is some screenshots sorry for my bad english
Backup and Restore
Backup->Create System Image misidentifies disk as system disk
When I upgraded to Windows 7, I bought a new mobo, graphics card, etc... I installed Windows 7 on a new 128GB SSD drive (C: ), and then pulled my old 1TB drive with Windows XP on it from my old machine and installed it as D:. When I try to go to "Backup and Restore", and click "Create a system...
Backup and Restore
Create system image won't detect external hard disk
Hi, im having a problem trying to create a system image and store it in my external hdd. This isnt the first time i use the windows backup to create a system image, ive done it before using this external hdd with no problems at all. But now, for some reason it wont detect this hard drive, it...
Backup and Restore
Backup to image, create system repair disk fails...
I am trying create a backup image of my Win7 OS on a system that has these drives: DISKPART> list volume Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- Volume 0 J ...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App