Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is W7 defrag tool enough?

03 Sep 2010   #31
Maxxwire

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 



With all due respect the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Drive's read and write times aren't even as fast as the 1TB OEM Hitachi HDD in my Win 7 desktop which has a 132 MBps read and 126 MBps write time according to Crystal Disk Mark and it is the bottleneck that is keeping my WEI at 5.9 instead of 7.5.

~Maxx~


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Sep 2010   #32
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Very nice cluberti that was full of information. Thank you! I think it would make a nice Sticky.
Microsoft uses their own.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #33
cluberti

Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Thanks! I'll be here all week - try the veal!

//queue bad 70s music//
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Sep 2010   #34
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Seeing as you have one, what do think of it and do you think it may help as a Games only drive?
Very much so esp., when it is a game you play multiple times. A lot of the stuff that has to remain on the HDD gets cached in the SSD portion so the loading the screens come and go just as quickly. Now it is not as fast as a say a full SSD drive and the cache is for frequently read items only.

This caching to SSD is completely independent of the OS you are using.
It is maintained and monitored by the drive itself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #35
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post
With all due respect the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Drive's read and write times aren't even as fast as the 1TB OEM Hitachi HDD in my Win 7 desktop which has a 132 MBps read and 126 MBps write time according to Crystal Disk Mark and it is the bottleneck that is keeping my WEI at 5.9 instead of 7.5.

~Maxx~
You are going have to get a full SSD drive if you are wanting 7.5.
The Momentus XT is not a full SSD drive, merely a middle ground between the two.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #36
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Seeing as you have one, what do think of it and do you think it may help as a Games only drive?
Very much so esp., when it is a game you play multiple times. A lot of the stuff that has to remain on the HDD gets cached in the SSD portion so the loading the screens come and go just as quickly. Now it is not as fast as a say a full SSD drive and the cache is for frequently read items only.

This caching to SSD is completely independent of the OS you are using.
It is maintained and monitored by the drive itself.
Im thinking I may try one. I would like to have a SSD for a Game drive, but I have a lot of Games installed. So I certainly want something that performs decent with plenty of space.

Or maybe even 2 spinners in RAID, or 2 of these even


Think I may give one a try.

The entire hybrid concept seems like it may be a good idea.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #37
Maxxwire

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

[QUOTE=logicearth;938159]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post
You are going have to get a full SSD drive if you are wanting 7.5.
The Momentus XT is not a full SSD drive, merely a middle ground between the two.
logicearth- I was just commenting on the suggestion of using a Hybrid SSD. As for myself l do believe that SSD is definitely the way to go and 2 Intel SSD's in RAID 0 simply fly...



~Maxx~
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is W7 defrag tool enough?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Auslogics Disk Defrag vs IObit Smart Defrag
Which Defragger do you think is better, because I am trying to decide between the two, but can't decide on one or the other.
Software
RAM Defrag tool
Does anyone know of a RAM defrag tool that works in windows 7? yes I'm aware that an actual defrag of RAM does not improve access performance and that rebooting will clear the RAM, etc etc. I want it because usually a ram defrag can recover unused memory. or if someone knows an alternate...
Software
Does Puran Defrag 7.3 Free work with Windows 7 Defrag disabled ?
I normally set the Disk Defragmenter Task Schedule to DISABLED, and leave the Windows Disk Defragmenter defragsvc set to DISABLED. Will Puran Free be able to safely and fully operate under these conditions, or should I change defragsvc to MANUAL. I occasionally create a Macrium FULL image...
Software
Windows Disk Defrag Doesn't Defrag
Disk defrag stops analyzing at 62% and doesn't go any further. So I downloaded Defraggler and ran it. It worked but it wouldn't defrag down to 0% fragmentation, It still shows 4% after defrag.
Performance & Maintenance
Does Windows Defrag defrag system files?
Hi all. Stupid question here... A friend of mine was speaking highly about this PerfectDisk prog because "it defrags system files." I was kind of surprised because I thought (assumed) that the defrag utility built into Windows 7 already defragged system files. Is this not true? I do not...
Performance & Maintenance
Any verdict on the Defrag tool yet?
Vistas sucked majorly, were there any improvements in 7 or should I be hunting down JKDefrag again?
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App