Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to change CPU frequency "speedstep" on Centrino

22 May 2009   #1
metoo3

XP
 
 
How to change CPU frequency "speedstep" on Centrino

Hi all, yesterday I installed 7 RC and so far it is working without any major issues on my old IBM R51...

However, there is one thing coming into my mind:
On my previous XP installation, I clicked Control Panel -> System and could see my processor's speed e.g. Intel Centrino CPU @ 768MHz 1.5GHz, 1,99GB RAM...
So it uses kind of "speedstep" or something, to throttle the CPU speed.

On Win 7, it shows Intel Centrino CPU @1.5GHz 1.5GHz, 1,99GB RAM.
So it's always on full speed and it doesn't throttle down. I already tried default power plans (balanced, speed - sorry, don't know the exact english description) but it still keeps 1.5GHz.

Does anyone have an idea, what I could try to throttle the CPU speed?

Cheers,


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 May 2009   #2
smarteyeball

 
 

Double check with CPU-Z to see if it's actually running full speed all the time. Chances are 7 is only reporting the full speed of the chip and not the actual current clock speed.

CPUID

The chip setting in in Seven you are looking for is found in the advanced settings of power options. It should be under "processor power management' or something similar.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2009   #3
P1eTr0

Win 7
 
 

I have the same problem, with a Lenovo SL 300 notebook. On My computer there is 1.8Ghz processor @ 1.8 GHz, and also in Everest and CPUID. I know, that under XP SP3 it worked fine, but I don't want to use my machine with 100% when I'm use word, msn.

If someone has a good idea, tell us

Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Sep 2009   #4
dwardu

Windows 7 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by metoo3 View Post
Hi all, yesterday I installed 7 RC and so far it is working without any major issues on my old IBM R51...

However, there is one thing coming into my mind:
On my previous XP installation, I clicked Control Panel -> System and could see my processor's speed e.g. Intel Centrino CPU @ 768MHz 1.5GHz, 1,99GB RAM...
So it uses kind of "speedstep" or something, to throttle the CPU speed.

On Win 7, it shows Intel Centrino CPU @1.5GHz 1.5GHz, 1,99GB RAM.
So it's always on full speed and it doesn't throttle down. I already tried default power plans (balanced, speed - sorry, don't know the exact english description) but it still keeps 1.5GHz.

Does anyone have an idea, what I could try to throttle the CPU speed?

Cheers,
i am on the final build of windows 7 (7600), speedstep works fine on it. im using cpuz to check. i have a laptop that is clocked at 2.5ghz when on turbo, when its not on turbo it will go at 2.2ghz. when im doing nothing the laptop speed goes down to 1.1ghz-1.4ghz when im opening programs it shoots up to speed up the process, so i think it works fine
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2009   #5
DarkDavil

7 x64/ Back-Track 4
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dwardu View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by metoo3 View Post
Hi all, yesterday I installed 7 RC and so far it is working without any major issues on my old IBM R51...

However, there is one thing coming into my mind:
On my previous XP installation, I clicked Control Panel -> System and could see my processor's speed e.g. Intel Centrino CPU @ 768MHz 1.5GHz, 1,99GB RAM...
So it uses kind of "speedstep" or something, to throttle the CPU speed.

On Win 7, it shows Intel Centrino CPU @1.5GHz 1.5GHz, 1,99GB RAM.
So it's always on full speed and it doesn't throttle down. I already tried default power plans (balanced, speed - sorry, don't know the exact english description) but it still keeps 1.5GHz.

Does anyone have an idea, what I could try to throttle the CPU speed?

Cheers,
i am on the final build of windows 7 (7600), speedstep works fine on it. im using cpuz to check. i have a laptop that is clocked at 2.5ghz when on turbo, when its not on turbo it will go at 2.2ghz. when im doing nothing the laptop speed goes down to 1.1ghz-1.4ghz when im opening programs it shoots up to speed up the process, so i think it works fine
How can i get my intel centrino processor to do that? Thats pretty efficent!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2009   #6
dwardu

Windows 7 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkDavil View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dwardu View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by metoo3 View Post
Hi all, yesterday I installed 7 RC and so far it is working without any major issues on my old IBM R51...

However, there is one thing coming into my mind:
On my previous XP installation, I clicked Control Panel -> System and could see my processor's speed e.g. Intel Centrino CPU @ 768MHz 1.5GHz, 1,99GB RAM...
So it uses kind of "speedstep" or something, to throttle the CPU speed.

On Win 7, it shows Intel Centrino CPU @1.5GHz 1.5GHz, 1,99GB RAM.
So it's always on full speed and it doesn't throttle down. I already tried default power plans (balanced, speed - sorry, don't know the exact english description) but it still keeps 1.5GHz.

Does anyone have an idea, what I could try to throttle the CPU speed?

Cheers,
i am on the final build of windows 7 (7600), speedstep works fine on it. im using cpuz to check. i have a laptop that is clocked at 2.5ghz when on turbo, when its not on turbo it will go at 2.2ghz. when im doing nothing the laptop speed goes down to 1.1ghz-1.4ghz when im opening programs it shoots up to speed up the process, so i think it works fine
How can i get my intel centrino processor to do that? Thats pretty efficent!


You need to enable speedstep from the bios. i have an msi gx600 laptop the one with the turbo button, its required to have speedstep as when the turbo button is pressed it must overclock on the fly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Sep 2009   #7
superkenel

Windows Seven Beta
 
 

How to use Intel SpeedStep in Windows Seven 64 bit withe T7400 Core 2 Duo?

0. Verify that SpeedStep is enabled in the Bios of your Computer.

1. Download and unzip in your program folder :

. Cpuz64 (to see processor frequency in realtime)
. CrystalCPUIDx64 ( to change the frequency of your Core 2 Duo by SpeedStep)

2. Open cpuz64.exe and CrystalCPUIDx64.exe

3. In CrystalCPUID go in "Function" then "Intel Enhanced Speedstep Control"

4. In "New Multiplier" chose "6x" clic "Enable Change Voltage"

5. Click the button "Create Shorcut on Desktop"

6. Check Cpuz64 to see if the frequency really change when you click your new shorcut the frequency must change (2166.73Mhz to 999-1001Mhz).
It's perfectly working on my computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to change CPU frequency "speedstep" on Centrino




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
"Local Area Connection" missing in "Change adapter Settings".. Plz hlp
I have to set up a Broadband connection. But Local Area connection icon is missing. Someone told "drivers" could be missing... I installed few. But the problem is as it was.. please guide me in this regards.. Thank you Screen shots Attached
Network & Sharing
what is "frequency" of human voice
for high voices we say that magnitude is high , and for low it is the magnitude which is low . how we can interpret the term " frequency " when it is a characteristic of sound or more specifically human voice ? this is in general in particular , i was reading a topic about DSL , then i...
Chillout Room
Change font of "Welcome", "Logging Off" and "Shutting down"?
How do I change the font of "Welcome", "Logging Off" and "Shutting down"? Is it hard coded in a uifile? Which file are the words in? Is the file written in XML?? John
Customization
change start menu icons "devices and printers" and "recorded tv"
Hello Ive managed to change all the icons on my system to custom ones apart from devices and printers and recorded tv on the right of the start menu.(the ones that appear over your user picture when you hover over them) Ive searched everywhere for their location in the registry but cant find them...
Customization
Change Start Menu "Run" & "Connect to" icons
I searched the forum for tutorials on how to change these two icons (see pictures), but couldn't find any, so if anyone have the reg key location for the icons please let me know. Thanks in Advance :)
Customization
Monitor cries: "OUT OF FREQUENCY RANGE" at login
Good day all, I just had the oppurtunity to move on to Windows 7, after installing everything was good(As far as I can see). Now, my system has a GeForce 210 Graphics Card, so naturally I would want to install the NVIDIA drivers. Here is when sith happens: After the mandatory restart,...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App