Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Enable Ready Boost in win 7?

16 Sep 2010   #11
nailgunner

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hong View Post
if i use readyboost, what is the size that i should adjust for my usb pendrive for a better or obvious performance?
4 GB is the largest that ReadyBoost can use although Microsoft is trying to increase that amount so go with 4 GB.



Like I said do try to get a USB Flash Drive that is capable of over 30 MBps sequential read time.

~Maxx~
.
That's not true for Windows 7. Per Microsoft, you can use 8 devices for a max of 256gb for ReadyBoost. See at link here ReadyBoost - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Sep 2010   #12
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post
An astute user with a complete guide to Win 7 services from Black Viper's Web Site can competently and confidently disable dozens of completely unneeded services in Win 7 and not harm the performance of the computer in any way.
Let's just say you are about 5-7 years late to that party. There's a reason why he's known as QuackViper, and why posting a link to his sites ruins a person's credibility. Yes, it is true he has updated his website some to remove some of his trouble advice, but his credibility has been completely gone for quite some time.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post
How can this be considered a huge mistake?
Because of dependencies, and due to the fact that these "tweaks" have been tested, retested, and then retested again until the reviewers have been blue in the face. Disabling services provides you with no gain whatsoever in terms of performance. It's honestly been this stale, and rehashed FAR too many times to even go into a big discussion. If you don't believe me, head over the HardForums.com, create a thread suggesting people follow BlackViper's advice, and wait to see what happens. You'll have developers from Microsoft posting links and suggested tests to prove that disabling services provides no benefit. it is to the point that the mere mention of BlackViper gets a person flamed. I could even give you the username of a guy who wrote several articles on testing methods, which were all confirmed by Anandtech as well.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post
but if you are like many of the Members here at the Windows 7 Forums you don't want unneeded services any more than all the GB's of crapware that manufactures put on the computers they sell because although they do not harm the computer both are also totally useless to an individual's operation of the computer and prevent the computer from running lean and clean as some people prefer to.
Somewhat incorrect. If you are like most enthusiasts or astute users, as you say, you'll know this has been rehashed to death, to the point it is now considered fact. I know that sounds harsh, and I'm not going to make any assumptions about your age, skill level, experience in computers, etc. All I'm going to tell you is that concept of disabling services in the name of performance or saving resources was utterly and completely debunked in XP, and even moreso in Vista and Windows 7.

However, you do bring up a good point in your last paragraph. ALL of my comments are referring to Windows services, not 3rd party apps. Most OEMs junk up their systems with unneeded crap that can be removed or disabled. That's why any enthusiast that buys an OEM system will wipe it clean and do a fresh install themselves. For those not wanting to go that route, apps like Revo Uninstaller and PC Decrapifier. Cleaning up 3rd party crap is always a good idea, and can definitely inprove performance, especially boot times. Ever troubleshoot a computer that has 4 different IM apps set to run at startup?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2010   #13
cluberti

Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hong View Post
Hi, i finally found that i disabled the Superfetch before... but i watched a video on Youtube that told me that disabling superfetch can increase windows 7 performance, is it true?
If you saw it on YouTube, it must be true . In all seriousness, the only time I would consider disabling superfetch was if I had 512MB of RAM, or if I was using an SSD for my main hard disk (Win7 already does the latter if it detects your SSD properly). Superfetch actually makes Win7 *faster* by attempting to cache in RAM your most frequently accessed things from the hard disk, to speed up application load times. There are very few scenarios where disabling superfetch would improve performance, and all of those would be applicable only if you had less than 1GB of RAM in your machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Sep 2010   #14
cluberti

Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pacinitaly View Post
I don't show ready boost on my win7 laptop
Correct - the service is actually called "SysMain", and it's not a visible service (there are quite a few services that are on the system and can be found in the registry, but not in the services UI). You can find it's configuration under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SysMain.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2010   #15
pacinitaly

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cluberti View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pacinitaly View Post
I don't show ready boost on my win7 laptop
Correct - the service is actually called "SysMain", and it's not a visible service (there are quite a few services that are on the system and can be found in the registry, but not in the services UI). You can find it's configuration under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SysMain.


is it there?


Attached Thumbnails
Enable Ready Boost in win 7?-capture.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2010   #16
cluberti

Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Yes, that is it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2010   #17
andjayik

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

So with a ssd on my sysytem and 4gb of ram is a 8gb patriot usb drive ready for boost gonna make anything faster for me or should i diss conect it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2010   #18
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andjayik View Post
So with a ssd on my sysytem and 4gb of ram is a 8gb patriot usb drive ready for boost gonna make anything faster for me or should i diss conect it?
You have way more RAM than you would need to have to even consider ReadyBoost. I can think of plenty of good uses for that flash drive, and not one of them involves ReadyBoost.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Sep 2010   #19
Maxxwire

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
All I'm going to tell you is that concept of disabling services in the name of performance or saving resources was utterly and completely debunked in XP, and even moreso in Vista and Windows 7.
Unfortunately you are several years late in telling the 1,000's upon 1,000's of us who's computers have benefited from cutting the massive amount of totally unneeded services in Vista and Win 7 many of which are scheduled to run daily collecting data for Microsoft because we already know better and we greatly value our privacy.

~Maxx~
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Sep 2010   #20
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post
Unfortunately you are several years late in telling the 1,000's upon 1,000's of us who's computers have benefited from cutting the massive amount of totally unneeded services in Vista and Win 7 many of which are scheduled to run daily collecting data for Microsoft because we already know better and we greatly value our privacy.
I'll make a suggestion. Instead of treating this as a my opinion versus your opinion...do some of your own reading on the subject. The facts are out there, and have been for quite some time. I'd be more than happy to find you some links with credible, valid sources. Don't do it because of this "debate". Do it as a learning opportunity for yourself.

I can't stress it enough, that disabling Windows services isn't going to yield any performance gains. It's been proven time and time again, over and over, ad nauseum. I'm not here posting this to "win". I'm posting this information so facts are there for people wanting to know them. If you really don't buy into the facts yet, I'll be happy to dig up some links for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Enable Ready Boost in win 7?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Ready Boost
Hi folks, I've been out of the computer thing for a bit and have encountered a problem with ready boost. What service do you shut down or what do you do to disable ready boost. I'm embarrassed to ask but hey I'm human lol...TIA Seth
General Discussion
ready boost
hi all, I got a sandisk fit usb 32gb for Xmas and I was just curious what the setup might be as far as exfat32, fat32 or ntfs... any thoughts which is the better use for ready boost for win 7?
Installation & Setup
Use Ready Boost on HDD ?
Can i enable ready boost on my hard drive to speed up my system ?
Performance & Maintenance
ready boost
how do i use a partition 8 gigs on my hdd to run ready boost
Performance & Maintenance
ready boost
do u use ready boost?
Performance & Maintenance
Using Ready Boost?
I have an acer revo, it has 2GB of RAM, i've got 512MB dedicated to the onboard graphics, so thats 1.5GB left for the system. so, how good is ready boost?, as in using an SD card or a pen drive, does it slow down the system memory to the speed of the attached SD card/pen drive or is it a...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App