Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Your New Christmas Computer

16 Dec 2010   #31
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Dusty -

Many tech enthusiasts lived by Black Viper's service edits in XP and early bloated Vista, however MS made this unnecessary during development of Win7 by setting anything that doesn't have to be running to Manual on fast triggers.

During Win7 beta, we found that turning off any services which were left had unexpected consequences. There aren't really any remaining services that need to be turned off to gain back performance.

Win7 is also already too lean and optimized to stand much tweaking without it coming back to bite you. Just use normal System Settings. If you need to edit Graphics effects, for example, it will tell you so at the top of the Advanced Tools page you've already visited.

Effectively Win7 has become the Black Viper.
While I agree that it is completely unnecessary as Windows 7 is slimmer and 'optimal', there is still nothing wrong with disabling services. for example, I don't have a fax machine, so for me to disable fax makes sense. I can always reenable it later. I just went through the services one more time and do in fact notice a slight increase in performance. My system is pretty powerful, and like you say, Win 7 doesn't need it, but it isn't bad to slim it even more. Perhaps during the beta of Win7, when disabling services caused problems for testers, it may have been for other reasons, as it was still in the testing stages. I am pretty positive there is no ill effect. I may have stated otherwise once, but I can see now that it was just coincidence and I was wrong in my assumption.

I honestly can't say why it takes my computer about 30 seconds loading time on the Welcome screen, the computer came like that, and it happened even before I disabled services. I did a complete reinstall and still it is the same. Boot takes about 5 seconds or less, its just that strange welcome screen. I can play any game at high detail, the computer is fast. After the welcome screen loading, I can instantly access any program. Computer is healthy, but I just don't know what causes this. It is no big deal I suppose, just 30 seconds. Just kinda wish I knew, ya know?

And I'm not blasting you, I respect what you have to say. Its just I don't think the services had anything to do with the welcome screen. Blackviper, perhaps no longer even needed, still would have mentioned if a particular service caused 30 second welcome screen delays. I may just have to put up with it, until I find an answer. I'll keep you folks up to date if I do. Thanks guys and thanks greg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Dec 2010   #32
gregrocker

 

Study the Performance log as described before where driver or service hangs may be logged.

Uncheck everything in msconfig>Startup except AV and gadgets. The others are freeloaders on your startup, CPU, RAM and spy on you. Startup Programs - Change

Next, go to the Services tab on msconfig, check Hide All MS Services, see what else is running to see if anything else has snuck into Startup and isn't showing up. Turn it off in the Program's Preferences if necessary. Then try a Clean Boot to see if that helps: How to Troubleshoot a Problem by Performing a Clean Startup in Windows 7 or Vista

Finally if its not a service hanging it may be a driver so make sure your drivers are all up to date in Device Manager: check Optional Windows Updates, your computer or the Device model's Support Downloads webpage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2010   #33
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Study the Performance log as described before where driver or service hangs may be logged.

Uncheck everything in msconfig>Startup except AV and gadgets. The others are freeloaders on your startup, CPU, RAM and spy on you. Startup Programs - Change

Next, go to the Services tab on msconfig, check Hide All MS Services, see what else is running to see if anything else has snuck into Startup and isn't showing up. Turn it off in the Program's Preferences if necessary. Then try a Clean Boot to see if that helps: How to Troubleshoot a Problem by Performing a Clean Startup in Windows 7 or Vista

Finally if its not a service hanging it may be a driver so make sure your drivers are all up to date in Device Manager: check Optional Windows Updates, your computer or the Device model's Support Downloads webpage.
I have 2 programs in the startup folder: the first is HP Digital Imaging Monitor and the second is Openoffice.org 3.2. I don't need them in there so I am trying to remove them as we speak. But I tried the clean startup through msconfig, this being the second time, and still disabling everything results in the same behavior. See if I can't refine my computer a bit more and uninstall some programs I don't use too often, I'll post back later
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Dec 2010   #34
gregrocker

 

I would use Revo Uninstaller to get programs out cleanly.

Follow up with CCleaner Disk and Registry tabs.

Then the Auslogics Disk and Registry defraggers.

These are state-of-the-art tools which I've used for over 10 years without issue.

Don't forget the Performance lot. While you're at it, study also the Event Viewer>Custom Views>Admin to google repeat errors to resolution.

Did you wipe the HD of all code before install?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2010   #35
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Don't forget the Performance lot. While you're at it, study also the Event Viewer>Custom Views>Admin to google repeat errors to resolution.

Did you wipe the HD of all code before install?
I looked into the event viewer and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I'll check it a couple more times just to make sure, but anything it states was caused by myself. And yes, the HDs were wiped (formated). I wonder if it is some program checking for updates, forcing windows to load completely before interaction, or the like. All drivers are updated, I don't experience any problems on the computer, just this one.

Could it by my graphics card? I'm going to get SLI after christmas, perhaps it will help (Thinking the card needs to load or something, just a guess though)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2010   #36
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
For all the lucky members who will receive or buy a new computer for Christmas be sure to:

Dont install the antivirus software that pops up with instuctions to install
Should be done at the end and this software although probably free for a while
will cost money down the road and is probably not the best.

Windows updates should be done immediately as you are vulnerable to problems
until updated; be sure to include office updates

Adobe reader should be updated, the most recent version is a sandbox version which
reduces virus vulnerablity to your PDF files.

This is also the oppotunity to download Adobe Flash Player

Download an alertative browser; ie FF or Chrome etc. In the event of problems with IE

Remove any unwanted program bloat. They will slow up your computer and probably
cost money in the future.

Download your antivirus; Microsoft Security Essentials is suggested.

Now enjoy the internet.

In addition follow these maintenance instructions.

Suggestions for Proper Maintenance
Somehow we got off track
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2010   #37
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

lol wow. Agreed.
Someone can move these and stick em in their proper location, title it "DustSailor issues" lol

Sorry Rich

*edit*
And thanks for the help once again greg, I think I'm on track
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2010   #38
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
For all the lucky members who will receive or buy a new computer for Christmas be sure to:

Dont install the antivirus software that pops up with instuctions to install
Should be done at the end and this software although probably free for a while
will cost money down the road and is probably not the best.

Windows updates should be done immediately as you are vulnerable to problems
until updated; be sure to include office updates

Adobe reader should be updated, the most recent version is a sandbox version which
reduces virus vulnerablity to your PDF files.

This is also the oppotunity to download Adobe Flash Player

Download an alertative browser; ie FF or Chrome etc. In the event of problems with IE

Remove any unwanted program bloat. They will slow up your computer and probably
cost money in the future.

Download your antivirus; Microsoft Security Essentials is suggested.

Now enjoy the internet.

In addition follow these maintenance instructions.

Suggestions for Proper Maintenance
Somehow we got off track
LOL - After reading your initial post and a few others down the line I was left wondering If I took a wrong turn

Anyways nice post and solid advice. Would rep but....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Your New Christmas Computer




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
New Christmas ad.
LadyPinktomato 1 sent this to me. Someone needs to fix this link but will melt your heart... This WWI-themed Christmas ad is blowing up the Internet | Rare NWF2JBb1bvM May even get our minds off what is and is not important. Dennis
Chillout Room
How was your Christmas?
Mine was better than I thought it would be :D.. I'll leave it at that
Chillout Room
What Did You Get for Christmas?
I'll start this thread while waiting for that Jolly Ol' Santa to put Rocks in my Socks :huh:
Chillout Room
What Did YOU Get for Christmas?
SF The title says it all...what did you get for Christmas (or are going to get tomorrow)?
Chillout Room
christmas greetings to us all
Ok guys thought its time for this so... wishing you all at sevenforums a merry christmas and a happy new year thanks to you all for making sevenforums a genuine pleasure to be part of :party:
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:03.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App