Backing up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 158
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
       #1

    Backing up


    Hello, I was wondering what you use to backup your files! I am thinking of backing up and doing a fresh install soon just in-case something happens. Last time my hard drive crashed I lost everything and was really mad about it. I had nothing backed up .




    Also how big of a external should i get to back up computers in the house or a better way to backup files?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1
    Windows 7 Pro x64
       #2

    Pretty difficult question to answer to be honest.

    I simply use a 1TB HDD, and CTRL-C (copy) then CTRL-V (paste) to back up my stuff.

    Its all relevant to what you have to actually back up

    A good program to use is something like allwaysync. Its FREE! Buy yourself a external HDD then set up a sync between your PC and the HDD, it'll be lengthy the first time you do it but will only sync changed/new files so each time thereafter will take much less time.

    Dedicated backup programs like norton backup or Nero back up, in my opinion, arent worth your HDD space or PC resources.

    EDIT: Sorry for male chauvinist comment (thats how we do things here) but if thats you in that sig pic....then... daaaaaaaaaaaang.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 158
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    jonniehack said:
    Pretty difficult question to answer to be honest.

    I simply use a 1TB HDD, and CTRL-C (copy) then CTRL-V (paste) to back up my stuff.

    Its all relevant to what you have to actually back up

    A good program to use is something like allwaysync. Its FREE! Buy yourself a external HDD then set up a sync between your PC and the HDD, it'll be lengthy the first time you do it but will only sync changed/new files so each time thereafter will take much less time.

    Dedicated backup programs like norton backup or Nero back up, in my opinion, arent worth your HDD space or PC resources.

    EDIT: Sorry for male chauvinist comment (thats how we do things here) but if thats you in that sig pic....then... daaaaaaaaaaaang.
    Thanks for the information How much do you think a 2-3TB HDD would be. I have to back up about 4-5 PC's. I have lots of Video and pictures so it takes up a good amount of space.

    EDIT: I did not see your edit but that is not me its just a pic I used for the sig :)
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 205
    Windows 8 Professional
       #4

    a 2tb internal drive will run you $70-$150. External your looking at like $135-$200.


    Instead of copy pasting you may want to look into a program for backing up such as SyncBack. Its free for personal use i believe.

    Or you can go to online backups using a site like Mozy, or Carbonite. Most of these online backup sites charge $30-$50 a month for unlimited space to backup to. It can also be a good idea because your data is off-site. If you have a house fire or something else disastrous your data will still be available.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,326
    Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
       #5

    I use a 1TB drive and SyncToy.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 158
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Lunarpancake said:
    a 2tb internal drive will run you $70-$150. External your looking at like $135-$200.


    Instead of copy pasting you may want to look into a program for backing up such as SyncBack. Its free for personal use i believe.

    Or you can go to online backups using a site like Mozy, or Carbonite. Most of these online backup sites charge $30-$50 a month for unlimited space to backup to. It can also be a good idea because your data is off-site. If you have a house fire or something else disastrous your data will still be available.
    Thanks for the information. I would rather have the information on a external HDD.

    MacGyvr said:
    I use a 1TB drive and SyncToy.
    I heard of SyncToy I am going to look into that.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 7,878
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
       #7

    I use an external hard drive and robocopy to backup my actual files. Then I use Acronis to image my machine. I run the data backups more often and keep them on 2 different external hard drives which I keep offsite in case my house is robbed or burns down.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 158
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
    Thread Starter
       #8

    pparks1 said:
    I use an external hard drive and robocopy to backup my actual files. Then I use Acronis to image my machine. I run the data backups more often and keep them on 2 different external hard drives which I keep offsite in case my house is robbed or burns down.
    When I get my external I'm going to back all the computers up, do a fresh install on this one, stick the external in my Safe it is one of the fire ones so it should be OK if something bad does happen or someone tries to steal it.
      My Computer


  9. mjf
    Posts : 5,969
    Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
       #9

    If you aren't already aware there a 2 very different types of "backup"
    (1) Imaging - takes a snapshot of your disk partitions and you can store them on your external HDD. If your internal HDD software goes crazy or needs replacing, just replace the image (snapshot) and the whole thing, operating system, programs data, the works.
    (2) File/folder backup. Just keeps backups of your personal files and folders which can change daily.

    For (1) try the windows inbuilt imaging and the free Macrium Reflect image. Try 2 for safety if one lets you down. You may get to prefer one over the other.
    For (2) if you want to run just basic type backups I'd just try the windows inbuilt file/folder backup and see if it meets your needs.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 5,941
    Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
       #10

    Lunarpancake said:
    a 2tb internal drive will run you $70-$150. External your looking at like $135-$200.


    Instead of copy pasting you may want to look into a program for backing up such as SyncBack. Its free for personal use i believe.

    Or you can go to online backups using a site like Mozy, or Carbonite. Most of these online backup sites charge $30-$50 a month for unlimited space to backup to. It can also be a good idea because your data is off-site. If you have a house fire or something else disastrous your data will still be available.
    Hi there
    ONLINE backups aren't of much use for HOME users genrally since the speeds at which most ISP's allow UPLOADS is often fairly limited even though DOWNLOAD speed is fine.

    Also a lot of ISP's CAP bandwidth so having sevral hundred GB backed up online will cost you an arm and a leg both in TIME and MONEY.

    You'll be surprised at how much data you have -- even a few photos with the current crop of digital cameras runs up at quite a size and once you start playing around with VIDEO then you really will need LOADS of space.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:46.
Find Us