Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Performance Anxiety

08 Feb 2011   #1
Outburst

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
Performance Anxiety

a close family member has a new HP desktop computer. He purchased it because his older pc was VEEERRRY slow. It has been six months since he has made the purchase of the new HP and it is just as slow as the older pc. He lives a considerable distance from me but a few days ago i was in the area and experienced the problem of his pc for my self...


enter keywords into a search engine and click search.....the search results appear very quickly....but when clicking on a url....its is sooooo slow. It reminded me of the speed of one of the primitive first computers.

I checked his available hard disk memory and he still has @600gigs out of 700.....connect speed was 72.0 Mbps...he says he has defragmented. HE DONT have DSL but he is connected through a wireless router.....could it be his internet service provider? below is some of the specs of his pc.

HP Desktop
22" flat screen monitor
quad core processors(amd turion)
6 gigs RAM
@700gigs hard disk memory
running on windows 7 home premium


ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED !!!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Feb 2011   #2
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Most likely it's due to malware, toolbars and browser add-ons which have been accumulated over the past 6 months. Use malwarebytes.org to clean up the malware. Then, try a browser like Firefox or Chrome and see if it's fast. If so, that would eliminate the ISP as being the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2011   #3
alfred01

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1
 
 

Hi Outburst. Welcome to Windows Seven Forums. We have a lot of very tech savy, intelligent people here at SF, unfortunately I'm not one of them but I would like to offer one suggestion. With such a new computer, personally I would be on the phone to tech support as fast as I could punch the number. You wouldn't want to do anything that might void the warranty and their tech reps should be able to tell him/her what kind of service to expect from the internet connection they have. Just my opinion. Please let us know how it works out and come to visit us from time to time, we're all very friendly people here.
Sincerely,
Anonymous lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Feb 2011   #4
Outburst

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

thanks for the responses guys, as far as browsers....i had him download chrome and i personally tried it and IE8 and no difference.....Tech support would be a good idea if i can get him to do it. I sent him a lengthy list of things to do to optimize his pc....he says he did those things but only he really knows....he lives 1000 miles from me so i cant personally fix it for himbut i wish i could. removing malware was one of the tops things on my list.

My Wifes new touchscreen HP turion tx2 had the same problems and a good defrag along with managing start up programs and changing to google chrome browser did the trick....its as fast a my pc now.

SO TELL ME GUYS.....with 72.0 Mbps could the problem at all be the connection or ISP provider.....MY PC only has 56.0Mbps and i couldnt hope for my pc to be any faster. His has 72.0 Mbps and very slow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2011   #5
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Outburst View Post

SO TELL ME GUYS.....with 72.0 Mbps could the problem at all be the connection or ISP provider.....MY PC only has 56.0Mbps and i couldnt hope for my pc to be any faster. His has 72.0 Mbps and very slow.
Quite possible.

Have him run speedtest and post the results.

ie The download, upload and Ping speeds.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2011   #6
Buddahfan

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Outburst View Post
thanks for the responses guys, as far as browsers....i had him download chrome and i personally tried it and IE8 and no difference.....Tech support would be a good idea if i can get him to do it. I sent him a lengthy list of things to do to optimize his pc....he says he did those things but only he really knows....he lives 1000 miles from me so i cant personally fix it for himbut i wish i could. removing malware was one of the tops things on my list.

My Wifes new touchscreen HP turion tx2 had the same problems and a good defrag along with managing start up programs and changing to google chrome browser did the trick....its as fast a my pc now.

SO TELL ME GUYS.....with 72.0 Mbps could the problem at all be the connection or ISP provider.....MY PC only has 56.0Mbps and i couldnt hope for my pc to be any faster. His has 72.0 Mbps and very slow.
What Anti-Virus package or Internet Security package is your friend using?
What firewall is your friend using.

Did your friend do anything to modify the default settings in each?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2011   #7
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

It's certainly possible that his ISP is the problem. 72.0Mbps is a ton of bandwidth...I've got 15Mbps and am completely and totally happy. Hit a speedtest site like speedtest.speakeasy.net and see what comes back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2011   #8
Victek

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Outburst View Post
a close family member has a new HP desktop computer. He purchased it because his older pc was VEEERRRY slow. It has been six months since he has made the purchase of the new HP and it is just as slow as the older pc. He lives a considerable distance from me but a few days ago i was in the area and experienced the problem of his pc for my self...

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED !!!!
You didn't say what anti-malware software is installed and if the computer has been checked for malware. You need to make sure the computer is clean before looking at anything else.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2011   #9
oreo27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Also, please make sure the 72 Mb/s is the speed of the ISP, not the wireless router. The speed of the router could be that, but the ISP might have another.

Please check the speeds at

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2011   #10
Outburst

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

this guy has norton antivirus....not sure if its 360 or what but i am sure its norton....will pass the info along to do the speed test and will let u know what happened as soon as i get the info myself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Performance Anxiety




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Intel 520 SSD, low performance, high performance, then low again...?
I just now installed an Intel 520 240GB SSD. Measuring the performance, got strange results. First it did not at all perform close to my expectations and Intels promises:...
Hardware & Devices
My RAM Performance
Hello Guys.. I's using HP Mini Netbook. I just wanna ask you that is my Netbook ok in performance? Regards Ben
Performance & Maintenance
Help with usb performance
I m getting very poor performance from my usb ports it used to work fine when i had XP. Some1 plz help.
Performance & Maintenance
Low FPS and performance
Hey all, ive got this pc and was looking for some help and guidance really. I play WoW and FPS shooter games i have a good high end pc, but for some reason my fps drops once i start to move and i cant understand why. Heres my DXDiag Any help would be great ty! ------------------ System...
Gaming
Performance
Hi all- My Graphics component (Desktop Performance for Windows Aero) only reads 4.1. How can I improve this #? And also, my Gaming Graphics (3D business and Gaming Graphics Performance) reads 5.3. The rest are 5.7 and 5.9. Are those #'s OK? I went through the tutorial and it didn't seem to...
Performance & Maintenance
Performance Has Changed To Performance Moniter
I am going through sql server 2005 implemetation and maintenance book. On chapter 15 it is going through useing performance moniter. which was about long before windows 7. Now ive got up to specifying my counters but i cannot find options to: 1. Set the inteval to one second. 2....
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App