Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Sleep Option For Dual Screens

07 Apr 2011   #1
Vaughn Whynot

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 
Sleep Option For Dual Screens

i have 2 23 inch acer screen. one hdmi and one vga..
i have the "turn off display" set for 15 mins but it seems the hdmi (which is the main display) only turns off as the second screen stays on.
i know i can just turn off the second display with WinKey and P but sometimes i have to rush out and have work up on both screens
am i missing a setting somewhere?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Apr 2011   #2
smarteyeball

 
 

Odd. My inputs are reversed, (primary on DVI) but both screens go to sleep.

Do you leave any apps on screen and not minimized?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2011   #3
Vaughn Whynot

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Odd. My inputs are reversed, (primary on DVI) but both screens go to sleep.
yeah i have my 360 hooked up HDMI on my screen with the VGA so that is why it is the secondary
Do you leave any apps on screen and not minimized?
maybe that is it.
some programs don't allow sleep..
if will shut all programs down and set it to 5 min sleep and see if that is the problem
thanks for idea
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Apr 2011   #4
Vaughn Whynot

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

your are a genius
i never even thought of that, they both turn off.
now another question
what is the best way to have an extended taskbar on the spare screen so you can minimize windows to the screen taskbar instead of going to the main screen taskbar.
not sure if that makes sense
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2011   #5
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vaughn Whynot View Post
your are a genius
i never even thought of that, they both turn off.
now another question
what is the best way to have an extended taskbar on the spare screen so you can minimize windows to the screen taskbar instead of going to the main screen taskbar.
not sure if that makes sense

MultiMonitor TaskBar

You might also like to try this;

http://windowspager.sourceforge.net/

I find it very useful.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2011   #6
smarteyeball

 
 

No worries

For the second question, you need to use a 3rd party app like Display Fusion or Ultramon which allows you to have a 'second' taskbar which you can configure to do what you are after.

Both have 'free' and 'paid for' versions. Try them both to see which suits your needs more. I think both the 'free' versions still allow a customizable second taskbar.

Unfortunately Windows doesn't have an 'extended' taskbar feature, hence the need for a 3rd party app.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2011   #7
Vaughn Whynot

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vaughn Whynot View Post
your are a genius
i never even thought of that, they both turn off.
now another question
what is the best way to have an extended taskbar on the spare screen so you can minimize windows to the screen taskbar instead of going to the main screen taskbar.
not sure if that makes sense

MultiMonitor TaskBar

You might also like to try this;

http://windowspager.sourceforge.net/

I find it very useful.

Regards....Mike Connor
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
No worries

For the second question, you need to use a 3rd party app like Display Fusion or Ultramon which allows you to have a 'second' taskbar which you can configure to do what you are after.

Both have 'free' and 'paid for' versions. Try them both to see which suits your needs more. I think both the 'free' versions still allow a customizable second taskbar.

Unfortunately Windows doesn't have an 'extended' taskbar feature, hence the need for a 3rd party app.

thanks guys!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2011   #8
Vaughn Whynot

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

i hate to be a bother
but i the ones you guys shared are trials.
and have very annoying pop ups and what not
or deactivated features
like Displayfusion doesn't offer the task bar feature on free account
are there anymore out there?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2011   #9
smarteyeball

 
 

Sorry, I thought the features you needed were in the free versions.

I'm afraid I don't know of any freeware versions
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #10
Vaughn Whynot

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Sorry, I thought the features you needed were in the free versions.

I'm afraid I don't know of any freeware versions
well a friend gave me his legit code for Ultramon but when i use the program it lags/freezes windows on the second monitor....
any ideas there?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Sleep Option For Dual Screens




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Blue Screens whenever the computer goes to sleep or at random
Basically, whenever the computer goes to sleep on it's own or the screens shut off, it BSOD. It's been doing this for the last two months. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit (Upgrade version) bought at Best Buy The system is a year old. I reformatted the system around Halloween of 2010. Problem...
BSOD Help and Support
Can't use DVI while Dual Screens Are Working
i didn't really know where to ask this question...but here is my problem i have had 2 screens (Acer x223w) one for my 360 Via DVI port with DVI/HDMI Adapter and the other screen for my PC use. i use a crappy NVIDIA GeForce 9200 i just bought a new HDMI could and HDMI to DVI adapter so i could...
Hardware & Devices
Dual Screens.
Hi :)i really wanted to have 2 screens , so i went an baught the Sansui SV-1750LCD screen, i plugged it in changed the settings ,but nothing happens if tried everything ,When i change the computer Display settings the other screen refreshes ? wat could be wrong ? Thanks :)
Hardware & Devices
dual screens with different resolution
I have windows 7 ultimate 64x with 2 screens. Is it possible to set each screen t o have its own display resolution when they are Mirrored? The screens are not the same and (one is a basic dell flat screen, and one is my hd 52" tv) and i prefer not to use the extend screen choice, but i rather...
Graphic Cards
Some Help With Dual Screens
On my primary monitor I've run a 360 and my Windows 7 p.c into it. I've set up a shortcut hotkey so that I can disable the primary to swap to the 360 when needs be. However I'd like to be able to access the web whilst using my 360 without having to cycle through the monitor menu to swap back. So I...
General Discussion
7 RC MC Crashing on Dual Screens
I recently installed two 1920x1080 monitors onto my Win 7 RC 7100. I have them running through DVI out of my 1g NVidia 9800GT. Everything looks and works great, until i try to run MC on one monitor while i play around on the other. First MC doesnt like 2 monitors so i have to use the windows...
Media Center


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:50.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App