Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Absolutely NO Hibernate

08 May 2011   #21
neo101

WIN7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Look in your bios - you should see a setting choice for S1, S3 and modern boards have S4=hibernate.

Make sure its on S3 (or S4 - if this option exists)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 May 2011   #22
gregrocker

 

Did you follow these steps to install the SDK then run the .msi for your WIN7 version? Install the Windows Performance Tools Kit - MSFN Forum
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2011   #23
Micro1321

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Did you follow these steps to install the SDK then run the .msi for your WIN7 version? Install the Windows Performance Tools Kit - MSFN Forum
Yes.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by neo101 View Post
Look in your bios - you should see a setting choice for S1, S3 and modern boards have S4=hibernate.

Make sure its on S3 (or S4 - if this option exists)
This option doesn't exist.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 May 2011   #24
neo101

WIN7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Micro1321 View Post

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by neo101 View Post
Look in your bios - you should see a setting choice for S1, S3 and modern boards have S4=hibernate.

Make sure its on S3 (or S4 - if this option exists)
This option doesn't exist.
Darn - must be 'hidden' under an 'advanced' menu.

Try to find out on internet which key press reveals advanced menu - if there is one (like F2, F9 etc)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2011   #25
gregrocker

 

Look under ACPI power settings in BIOS for the S-state selected.

Also, type Power Options into the Start Search box, under the active Plan>Change Plan Settings, then go Advanced, expand each Sleep option to post back their settings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2011   #26
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Look under ACPI power settings in BIOS for the S-state selected.
Don't forget, he originally said that hibernate used to work.

This would suggest that the cause of the current hibernate failure would not be in the BIOS (unless it auto-changed its own S-state settings somehow, which of course seems highly unlikely).

He hasn't updated video drivers (unless a Windows Update did it, and he didn't know it) so there's no change there which might explain the current failure when it used to work fine.

Plenty of hard drive space, and hiberfil.sys exists.

Hibernate is still an option on the shutdown menu (and not grayed out), so all of the normal prerequisites for Windows to decide to offer it as an option would appear to have been met.

It actually goes into standby instead of hibernate. I wonder if this is a power supply problem? What if everything pertinent to hibernation is actually occurring... until the final command to "turn off the computer"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2011   #27
Micro1321

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Look under ACPI power settings in BIOS for the S-state selected.
Don't forget, he originally said that hibernate used to work.

This would suggest that the cause of the current hibernate failure would not be in the BIOS (unless it auto-changed its own S-state settings somehow, which of course seems highly unlikely).

He hasn't updated video drivers (unless a Windows Update did it, and he didn't know it) so there's no change there which might explain the current failure when it used to work fine.

Plenty of hard drive space, and hiberfil.sys exists.

Hibernate is still an option on the shutdown menu (and not grayed out), so all of the normal prerequisites for Windows to decide to offer it as an option would appear to have been met.

It actually goes into standby instead of hibernate. I wonder if this is a power supply problem? What if everything pertinent to hibernation is actually occurring... until the final command to "turn off the computer"?
That may be the problem, but why would it do that, how would one go about fixing it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2011   #28
gregrocker

 

You'll need to run the trace to get a definitive answer. Nothing is missed.

PM Cluberti to ask for help running it if needed, or post up in the thread on MSFN where the trace is administered.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2011   #29
Micro1321

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

Sorry I heaven't posted in a while, my Internet has been down, I'll retry the trace.

I'll PM Cluberti now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2011   #30
Micro1321

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

What?? The problem was fixed when I corrupted the boot mangeger, and then repaired it. How??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Absolutely NO Hibernate




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
WD hdd powers on, but ABSOLUTELY no recognition anywhere
It was originally an external, and didn't show up all of the sudden. So took it apart and connected it to the sata and power cable, and nothing. not even in the bios. I have 1.5 TB of important stuff on there, is it damaged? It makes a power up sound when plugged it. I am really upset and will be...
Hardware & Devices
What absolutely needs to go on SSD apart from WIN 7OS
I have a brand new toy with 2 64 GB SSDs set up in super raid and a 750 GB HDD. Apart from the OS, what else absolutely needs to go on the SSD(c drive)so for instance when I install itunes, norton , guildwars, firefox can i just point them to D at the outset and that will suffice?Thanks in advance.
Hardware & Devices
This is absolutely amazing
A working transistor on a single atom: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/20/science/physicists-create-a-working-transistor-from-a-single-atom.html?_r=1&hp
News
What programs are absolutely necessary on start up?
What programs are absolutely necessary on start up? The reason I ask is because after I changed my AV program, my computer takes much longer to start up (this is after I enter my password at the welcome page). My Dell Inspiron 14 laptop came with McAfee. After the 30 day trial was over, I...
Performance & Maintenance
Absolutely No Videos Will Play
What's shakin people, I recently upgraded to 7 about a month ago. Things were going great until every time I opened any sort of video file, be it AVI, WMA, including streaming video from youtube, xbox.com, anything, the program being used (Firefox, WMP, WinAmp) would either hang or crash. The...
Music, Pictures & Video
Absolutely terrible network connection
I'm sorry but I have to make you guys say "oh no, not another belkin issue with W7" I've read through a number of posts already for an issue related to mine but I couldn't find one, so forgive me if this is already posted somewhere. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit Build 7600 And the...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App