Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Just annoying slownesses

12 Jun 2011   #11
NeroDevil

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Senteaf View Post
hahaha yeah right!

Are you serious? it is not just fine!

I have running:
1. Firefox - 13 tabs (no intensive calculations for chip/cpu
2. explorer.exe open on drive C

Attachment 159241
Well then you must be doing something wrong, because right now, I've 14 tabs in FireFox running, Windows Media Player open, Microsoft Office Word open, and like you said, Explorer. exe open. Guess what? Only 849MB of RAM usage, CPU at 4 % or so.

And that's 2GB RAM and Windows 7 64 bit.

O.O

I'll post a screenshot later to prove it, right now, I'm on my Smartphones browser.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Jun 2011   #12
Senteaf

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NeroDevil View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Senteaf View Post
hahaha yeah right!

Are you serious? it is not just fine!

I have running:
1. Firefox - 13 tabs (no intensive calculations for chip/cpu
2. explorer.exe open on drive C

Attachment 159241
Well then you must be doing something wrong, because right now, I've 14 tabs in FireFox running, Windows Media Player open, Microsoft Office Word open, and like you said, Explorer. exe open. Guess what? Only 849MB of RAM usage, CPU at 4 % or so.

And that's 2GB RAM and Windows 7 64 bit.

O.O

I'll post a screenshot later to prove it, right now, I'm on my Smartphones browser.

you have a laptop?

I looked at your specs, well you have way better hardware components
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2011   #13
NeroDevil

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Not really, my CPU isn't OC'd anymore, and although the clock speed is faster, its a 775 Wolfdale core, and your Core i3 is much newer, so according to most other people I know, it should be much better equipped for multitasking. And nope, its a desktop, but aside from the Graphic Card, it's fairly similar to your system.

Regarding your slowness, I can't be sure what is causing it - you said the laptop is 5 months old right? Was it always like this or when did it start becoming as slow as you say?

Just trying to help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jun 2011   #14
Senteaf

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Yes it was always like this...

Can you give me a link for your laptop model?

I think first boot(the day I bought it) I felt the slowness.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2011   #15
NeroDevil

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

I said in the last post that my system is a Desktop, but the specifications are similar to your laptop. If you mean the Fujitsu in my description, then here: Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535 VFY:EM81V5535 - Laptops Direct - but its nowhere near your systems specs.

About the matter at hand, your hard drive could be one thing, like someone mentioned earlier. Laptop drives can sometimes be a slower speed (5400 RPM) than regular drives (7200 RPM). That's one upgrade you could consider that should make your laptop notably faster. Depending on your cash, you could also check out an SSD instead. These use flash memory which is much faster than any hard drive, delivering blistering speed! There should be laptop SSDs somewhere if you look online, I've never looked myself yet so I can't point you anywhere in particular. Google is your friend.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2011   #16
Coke Robot

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Senteaf View Post
My graphic card is a chip(on the motherboard)

so it's basic, I mean integrated or something.
I know it does not have dedicated memory so it uses my RAM for processing, maybe even CPU sometimes.

And my laptop is new, bought it 5 months ago.

it just feels really slow, Windows UI/GUI is slow(perhaps my hard disk is the reason), browsing is slow(32bit firefox).

but now I know that I don't have enough RAM, my hard disk is slow, and my graphic chip is crap...oh well...
Looking at the rest of the replies here, it does seem to suggest something with the hard drive. I have a PC gamer friend that bought a laptop with an i5 processor with I believe TurboBoost, and after some months, it literally took about three minutes for everything to start up. He didn't even have antivirus software either. But after I defragged the hard drive, and the Windows registry, it took about 45 seconds to start up. He just had to have Steam start up, for he is the most hardest core PC gamer I've ever met! Actually, does your hard drive light flicker like mad when you do anything with it? It's either that, the registry, or malware causing it. The hardware should be all fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2011   #17
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

x64 Windows needs minimum of 2GB of RAM to run.

As with anything,. such as games, Minimum means just that. The absolute Minimum it takes for the software to operate. It does not mean it will run optimally.

Win7 x64 will typically use 1.5Gb of RAm at idle, give or take. This is completely normal.

In fact, it will use much more if it can. Look at mine-
Just annoying slownesses-capture.jpg

You must also consider the fact 64bit has much more overhead to cope with. Such as being abkle to run 32bit apps in a 64bit enviroment.
Theres a lot more going on under the hood than with the 32 bit version.

If you try to limit it, or cut down its RAM use, you will only cripple the system.

The only reason to use a 64bit OS is if:
1) You have 4GB of RAM or more
2) You need to native 64bit applications (Which also requiire much more RAM)

With 4GB of RAm or less, you are better off using a 32bit OS since it has less overhead to deal with, and can get by with less memory.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2011   #18
Coke Robot

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
x64 Windows needs minimum of 2GB of RAM to run.

As with anything,. such as games, Minimum means just that. The absolute Minimum it takes for the software to operate. It does not mean it will run optimally.

Win7 x64 will typically use 1.5Gb of RAm at idle, give or take. This is completely normal.

In fact, it will use much more if it can. Look at mine-
Attachment 159326

You must also consider the fact 64bit has much more overhead to cope with. Such as being abkle to run 32bit apps in a 64bit enviroment.
Theres a lot more going on under the hood than with the 32 bit version.

If you try to limit it, or cut down its RAM use, you will only cripple the system.

The only reason to use a 64bit OS is if:
1) You have 4GB of RAM or more
2) You need to native 64bit applications (Which also requiire much more RAM)

With 4GB of RAm or less, you are better off using a 32bit OS since it has less overhead to deal with, and can get by with less memory.
Hmm, I usually always see about 900MB of RAM in use at idle in 64 bit systems, even with Kaspersky 2011 running. But that usually comes after doing services configuration and uninstalling bloatware and disabling unwanted start up items.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2011   #19
Senteaf

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Okay I see...Thanks everybody.

I will decide if I want a new laptop or 4gm ram upgrade!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2011   #20
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Did you do a clean install of the system after you bought it, or is the OS that's running now the same that was purchased with the laptop? Most OEM systems run like crap out of the box. I don't have any experience with Lenovo (I avoid them, to be honest), but if they have a lot of pre-installed crap on there along with extra drivers, bad power settings, etc....you might be better off wiping the drive and starting over. If you have no plans on upgrading the memory, then just run Windows 7x86.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Just annoying slownesses




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Annoying Pop ups. HELP.
I have done everything I can think of to get rid of these pests, I am using firefox and windows 7, i have scanned the computer with Malawarebytes, avast, and Microsoft essentials, reinstalled firefox, deleted all add ons, funny thing is only one site is badly affected, Dpreview, the site moderators...
General Discussion
Annoying BASS Bug,,,Ummm, Really Really Annoying Bass Bug.....
OK, I'm the only one with this issue that I could find... Nobody on this forum has this, REALLY,,,,REALLY,,,,#@%&!#,,,,Annoying Bass bug problem... Every time I start W7 the Bass is @ -12,,,,making my notebook sound tinny,,,,and I have beatsaudio in this and the sound is AMAZING,,,or should be at...
Sound & Audio
Annoying pop ups
Have just suddenly got these annoying pop ups when I post stuff for instance if I type install or backup that shows up in blue in my replies and click on them and it is an annoying ad for some wretched thing or other. Anyone else had this happen please?
General Discussion
An annoying app
I heave just recently replaced my hard drive and had to reinstall everything I even ran the Gigabyte mobo software disk through the machine. Now I have this extremely annoying Zynga game icon on the desktop and taskbar on boot and I cannot find anywhere it is listed to get rid of it as quick...
Software
Quite annoying!!Help please
Dear Friends and Members, I have a small problem with windows 7. I have installed win 7 yesterday night. at the time of installation i have choosen the keyboard input as english UK Extended. Now when i type @ it is showing " and when i type " it is showing @ What is the solution? My...
General Discussion
Please Help w/ Annoying Pop up
Everytime I start Windows 7, immediately I receive this balloon message "you have files waiting to be burned to disc". I click on it to open the DVD RW Drive to see what file is waiting for me to burn. It is completely empty. Please help me to get rid of this irritating pop up. Thanks.
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App