Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Add Hibernate

17 Jun 2011   #1
sailornaruto39

Windows 7
 
 
Add Hibernate

I have tired stuff in the command prompt and i have tried in the power settings but nothing works.
How do i add herbenate to list of shut down commands?

What i mean is like this


How do i add it to above?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Jun 2011   #2
Garlic

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Open elevated command prompt. Type powercfg -h on. After that, hibernate option should appear in the list of shutdown commands.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #3
sailornaruto39

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
Open elevated command prompt. Type powercfg -h on. After that, hibernate option should appear in the list of shutdown commands.
It didn't work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jun 2011   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

The command that Garlic gave you should work. Are you sure the command was executed. Best is to copy/paste the command into the cmd window. Cmd is very iffy if you forget a blank.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #5
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sailornaruto39 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
Open elevated command prompt. Type powercfg -h on. After that, hibernate option should appear in the list of shutdown commands.
It didn't work.
Please elaborate what didn't work ?
such as..... what did the cmd window say when you type in powercfg -h on and press Enter ?
did you notice there is a space between " powercfg "and " - ", and between " h " and " on " ?
Try copy/paste the command line into the cmd window, instead of typing manually.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #6
sailornaruto39

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sailornaruto39 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
Open elevated command prompt. Type powercfg -h on. After that, hibernate option should appear in the list of shutdown commands.
It didn't work.
Please elaborate what didn't work ?
such as..... what did the cmd window say when you type in powercfg -h on and press Enter ?
did you notice there is a space between " powercfg "and " - ", and between " h " and " on " ?
Try copy/paste the command line into the cmd window, instead of typing manually.
I did copy and paste. I pasted and pressed enter, nothing happens.
Am i suppose to restart to see it? Or should it happen right away?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #7
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

It should happen right away. Try this, run powercfg -h off followed by powercfg -h on. See what happens.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #8
sailornaruto39

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
It should happen right away. Try this, run powercfg -h off followed by powercfg - h on. See what happens.
i think you have an extra space in the on one.
I did that too. I look to the little shut down menu and still no hibernate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #9
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

Turn off "hybrid sleep" in your "advanced power settings". That should enable hibernation.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #10
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sailornaruto39 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
It should happen right away. Try this, run powercfg -h off followed by powercfg - h on. See what happens.
i think you have an extra space in the on one.
I did that too. I look to the little shut down menu and still no hibernate.
Correct, fixed it. Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Add Hibernate




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Do not hibernate
I have two identical Acer notebook computers with Windows7 Home Premium. They are set up identically and specifically the hibernate function is set to "do not hibernate when plugged in". One computer does not hibernate when plugged in, but the other one does. This is driving me crazy. I have...
General Discussion
hibernate ?
Hi. Oh no i got this problem again, and it really annoy me. I have to press POWER-On button to wake up my laptop from Hibernate, until today i didn't have to do anything just open the laptop screen and there were windows7, but now it's diffrient, What/How can i do so my laptop will wake up...
General Discussion
Hibernate
Have tried all the advice I can find on the forum but have a problem, Can see hibernate option and when selected computer goes into hibernate and straight back (via resume) into the desktop. have the following settings: Sleep after.............never Hybrid sleep............off...
Performance & Maintenance
never seems to hibernate
I have my laptop set to sleep after 15 minutes then hibernate after 6 hours, but it never seems to hibernate. If the battery is close to 0% it will hibernate automagically. Any tips?
General Discussion
Hibernate or NOT TO Hibernate that is the question
After checking how slow my computer was running, shutting down and taking a nap I decided to shutdown Hibernate and save the time and HD space for other things. Hibernate file is a large file that is build on startup in your root directory of C: It seems to store information so if your...
General Discussion
Hibernate startup fails after second hibernate
Hi My computer can only hibernate once, after that, if it has already hibernated once before during the session, it goes into a strange state where the power is never turned off, but I can't return to windows. I have this issue. I have the hibernate button and the computer does never go...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App