Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Triple core CPU showing ONE in task manager

31 Jul 2009   #11
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

If you have a spare motherboard or friend that has one that uses the same type of CPU, then you might test it on it to see if it works properly.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
31 Jul 2009   #12
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
If you have a spare motherboard or friend that has one that uses the same type of CPU, then you might test it on it to see if it works properly.
Good idea.....all I have are intel boards. I guess that's about all I have left.

The funny thing is my video card died just the other day. I just got it back and installed it. This is wgen I discovered this problem. I wonder if a power surge (or something) took out the card and CPU at the same time........
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2009   #13
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

It's possible a surge can kill or damage like this. If you have overclocked it any, then that can shorten the life span as well. Might be worth a small investment in a good surge protector with line filtering built into it if you get a lot of power surges. For example, a UPS backup battery with those options.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Jul 2009   #14
Dwarf

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Check your BIOS. Some (but not all) BIOSes have a setting which can disable all but one core of a multi-core CPU for debugging and testing purposes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2009   #15
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
It's possible a surge can kill or damage like this. If you have overclocked it any, then that can shorten the life span as well. Might be worth a small investment in a good surge protector with line filtering built into it if you get a lot of power surges. For example, a UPS backup battery with those options.
I have an older home Brink. I have surge protectors (good ones) that show if the outlet is grounded. Mine are NOT. I have never had any problem in 20 years with any electronics of any kind in this house.

It is a very good idea to look into a good UPS with the options you mentioned. I just can't believe the CPU of all things went out. Hopefully someone has seen this before and has an idea we haven't thought of.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2009   #16
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Check your BIOS. Some (but not all) BIOSes have a setting which can disable all but one core of a multi-core CPU for debugging and testing purposes.
Thanks Dwarf, it's an HP BIOS and has no such option. I searched every work of it just now. I am pretty familiar with the BIOS in my machines. It does show the correct CPU and L2 cache 512 X 3 (which is right).....that is not showing in any Windows apps. That may be from an ID on the chip though......what do you think?

I think I may be paying for buying a $350 refurbished system.......
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2009   #17
Cyberwolf

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
Well, thanks guys. I am running the official RC on this machine. I am also running Vista Ultimate. Same situation in both OSs. There is no BIOS update (and it has been fine for a year) so it sounds like my CPU is dead. I only had a 90 day warranty. I guess it's new CPU time or junk it.

If you guys think of anything, please let me know. Thanks for the suggestions.
I realize this isn't the suggestion you want to hear but....Ditch AMD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2009   #18
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cyberwolf View Post
I realize this isn't the suggestion you want to hear but....Ditch AMD
sorry but that is nonsense.

Been running AMD for 10 years and never failed me.

On the other hand, the triple core is known to be a piece a garbage.

Intel had it's share of garbage CPU's also in the past, with failing floating point units, overheating problems etc.

I think both manufacturers have their ups and downs.


But I think in this case there could have been a heat issue.

Now the two cores have died, the heat issue is gone because the one core won't produce that much heat.

Could be the quality of the triple core, but we don't know. Might as well have been not enough airflow in the case, or failing CPU cooler.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2009   #19
Mark

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

Have you tried uninstalling the CPU drivers and restarting it to see if it finds them all again.

Triple core CPU showing ONE in task manager-2009-08-01_143438.jpg

I think you at least need to try a different Windows 7 build before you give up on it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2009   #20
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by squonksc View Post
sorry but that is nonsense.

Been running AMD for 10 years and never failed me.

On the other hand, the triple core is known to be a piece a garbage.

Intel had it's share of garbage CPU's also in the past, with failing floating point units, overheating problems etc.

I think both manufacturers have their ups and downs.


But I think in this case there could have been a heat issue.

Now the two cores have died, the heat issue is gone because the one core won't produce that much heat.

Could be the quality of the triple core, but we don't know. Might as well have been not enough airflow in the case, or failing CPU cooler.
That is all true...I knew this CPU was a discontinued piece of crap when I purchased it. I just needed a faster system to last 6 months, I got about a year out of it. It still has the stock heatsink and fan and runs at 36C. I can still run Prime95 and heat it up. (I tried it fo a few minutes) and it still works. Just slowly.....

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mr GRiM View Post
Have you tried uninstalling the CPU drivers and restarting it to see if it finds them all again.

Attachment 20891

I think you at least need to try a different Windows 7 build before you give up on it.
MrGRiM, I have Vista Ultimate on the SAME machine and it's the same if I start Vista...That leads me to believe it's not worth trying a new OS. Am I correct????

Also, for that reason, I have not tried the driver fix. If it's the same in Vista I see no point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Triple core CPU showing ONE in task manager




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Task Manager not showing applications
I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre running Window 7 Professional. If I bring up the Task Manager, no applications show in the window, no matter how many I have open. Processes, Services, etc. all look fine, just no apps. Of course this makes it impossible to kill a 'not responding' app. This is not...
General Discussion
Task manager showing 20-30% cpu usage...
Hi there, .. I dont know why my task manager is show that my cou usage is that high.. Even tough I have nothing runnung, .. I check the processes and I don't see anything running there, . and the System Idle process is in 93% (for example) while the task manager is showing CPU usage: 30%... ...
Performance & Maintenance
Core temp showing CPU at 30 - 50% but Task Manager Shows 8%
I a couple of odd behaviors from my core i5 750 on ASUS P7P55D Pro. Core 2 is often running about 10 - 20% higher than all the others according to Core Temp even at idle. According to Windows Task Manager the CPU is only running at minimal % and no programs are showing as dominate (all under 1%...
Performance & Maintenance
Task Manager is showing weird.!
so whenever i open my task manager its open in some differently.i have running eset smart 5 antivirus.i have scanned my pc but no virus found.here is snapshot
General Discussion
task manager is showing only one core vs two
I really hope someone has a good idea what is going on with my SSD partition of W7 Professional X64 using a Core2Duo processor. I think I may have confused HAL with my old HDD that I currently have in my DVD/CD bay via an Ultrabay Adapter on my laptop. I had the platter drive with W7 installed...
Hardware & Devices
Task Manager showing just 1 Processor
I have upgraded to Intel core 2 Duo processer ans my task manager is displaying only one processer. i have attached some pics for reference . if anybody can help it would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:33.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App