How to delete "System Volume Information" folder on Win 7

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 46
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
       #1

    How to delete "System Volume Information" folder on Win 7


    Hello,

    Let start off saying I know what this folder is for (System Restore) and know how to typically get rid of the space it takes up (merely disable system restore). However, in this particular case, it's not working and need to figure out how to make Win 7 delete it.

    In this particular situation this is an external hard drive that I hook up to other PCs quite often in transferring data and imaging PCs (I'm a PC tech). As such, the hard drive has accumulated quite a few restore points on it from these various systems. Disabling system restore from mine does not remove these other restore points.

    Windows XP I remember would let me remove it if I took ownership of the files, Win 7 will not (although it does not kick back any error messages). So... how do I get rid of it? Or at the very least, the multiple restore points within?

    Thank you.

    Solved: See Schmik and alan10's posts on page 3, posts 22 and 24, respectively. Thank you both.
    Last edited by FuryoftheStars; 15 Aug 2013 at 08:21.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,533
    Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
       #2

    FuryoftheStars said:
    Hello,

    Let start off saying I know what this folder is for (System Restore) and know how to typically get rid of the space it takes up (merely disable system restore). However, in this particular case, it's not working and need to figure out how to make Win 7 delete it.

    In this particular situation this is an external hard drive that I hook up to other PCs quite often in transferring data and imaging PCs (I'm a PC tech). As such, the hard drive has accumulated quite a few restore points on it from these various systems. Disabling system restore from mine does not remove these other restore points.

    Windows XP I remember would let me remove it if I took ownership of the files, Win 7 will not (although it does not kick back any error messages). So... how do I get rid of it? Or at the very least, the multiple restore points within?

    Thank you.
    You need to disable system restore on the external hard drive. To do this, go to start, then right click on computer, then click properties. In the top left, there will be an option that says system protection. Click on that.nAfter that it will show all of the drives amd you will see a "yes" or a "no." Find the external hard drive, and if it says yes, click on configure. You can now turn off system resotre for that drive.
    Last edited by windude99; 27 Apr 2013 at 15:14.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 46
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Sorry I wasn't more clear in the initial post... already have done this. It removes the system restore points created by my PC, but not the ones created by other PCs.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,533
    Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
       #4

    FuryoftheStars said:
    Sorry I wasn't more clear in the initial post... already have done this. It removes the system restore points created by my PC, but not the ones created by other PCs.
    Oh. Take ownership on the system volume information folder by doing this:Take Ownership Shortcut
    After you have installed that, right click on the system volume onformation folder and select take ownership. You should now be able to delete it.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 46
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Yeah, I've already taken ownership of everything. I can drill down in several levels and pop open the security permissions of a random file and it shows me as the owner. Still won't delete, though.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,533
    Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
       #6

    FuryoftheStars said:
    Yeah, I've already taken ownership of everything. I can drill down in several levels and pop open the security permissions of a random file and it shows me as the owner. Still won't delete, though.
    Try booting in safe mode and deleting it. Make sure you are logged on as an administrator. Take ownership of the file again and try to delete it in safemode.
    Last edited by windude99; 27 Apr 2013 at 15:14.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 46
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Ok, just tried that. Rebooted into safe mode, logged in as local admin, took ownership as local admin (including marking the option "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"), then tried to delete. Files are still there.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,533
    Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
       #8

    FuryoftheStars said:
    Ok, just tried that. Rebooted into safe mode, logged in as local admin, took ownership as local admin (including marking the option "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"), then tried to delete. Files are still there.
    Those are system files, so Windows isn't going to let you delete them. Even if you delete them, Windows will create new versions of those files. How much space are these files taking?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 46
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
    Thread Starter
       #9

    I know they're system files, but they're restore points from other PCs, not my own. I would like to get rid of them, regardless of the amount of space being taken up, please.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,533
    Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
       #10

    FuryoftheStars said:
    I know they're system files, but they're restore points from other PCs, not my own. I would like to get rid of them, regardless of the amount of space being taken up, please.
    Then you will need to format the exernal hard drive.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34.
Find Us