Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows7 Minimalist RAM question.

19 Oct 2009   #21
z3r010

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by omeganuepsilon View Post
No, you had to go the route where you play a geek sheek pompous asshole.
I've no time for Trolls today....he's gone.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Oct 2009   #22
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by omeganuepsilon
The system isn't the problem. This "automatically freeing of memory" is. It doesn't work. Maybe it's not fast enough, I don't know, I don't care. I don't use it, period.
It sounds like you're experiencing some underlying application stability issues which you're ascribing to superfetch. I can assure you that link is non-existant; superfetch is not what's making your apps crash or misbehave.

If you explain those symptoms in detail, it may be possible to offer assistance.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by omeganuepsilon View Post
But it is my point. It was never about how well 7 performs, but how well(not fast, but well) my apps can peform within 7.
The same theme repeats itself. What is it exactly that your apps do that you don't like?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2009   #23
sup3rsprt

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

Hi z3r010 thanks for sticking up for us.

It's unfortunate that someone had to get banned, but I suppose it's the right thing to do to people who swear at other members.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Oct 2009   #24
CGA1

Windows 7 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sup3rsprt View Post
Hi z3r010 thanks for sticking up for us.

It's unfortunate that someone had to get banned, but I suppose it's the right thing to do to people who swear at other members.
Hear hear. People with an attitude like this don't belong in this (or any other forum). This guy definitely needs humility training.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2009   #25
ajcgi

Dual boot XP pro 32 and win 7 pro
 
 

Hi all. This is my first post here though I've been hanging around like a stealthy ninja for a few months now. This may seem like an odd thread to choose a first post for, but bear with me...
I work in visual effects and 3d graphics too, so feel like I can justify a balanced response to the now banned 'omeganuepsilon'. I use the 64-bit rc on a dual boot and have found it as stable as my xp 32 is. It feels snappier and somehow comfy like an old sweater or something. 4Gb of ram feels fine compared to the 3 I was forcing xp to use with the 3gig boot.ini switch. However I've recently been working on high bit depth HD footage and that 4gb soon disappears once I'm rendering and compositing at the same time. Having looked at my system full loaded, 7 has dropped a load of ram leaving me with well over 3 gig to play with and that's with a lot of software installed. But being at the limit of my 4 gig now, 8 is on the cards.
Whatever probs were in Superfetch seem to be gone in my opinion. It works, freeing up RAM when I need it. I'm looking forward to getting my pre-order this week, or next if the Royal Mail here in Britain do go on strike.
It's a shame the original poster didn't check out the major cg forums. Plenty of people on there with day to day experience in their industry.

Alex
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2009   #26
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ajcgi View Post
Hi all. This is my first post here though I've been hanging around like a stealthy ninja for a few months now. This may seem like an odd thread to choose a first post for, but bear with me...
I work in visual effects and 3d graphics too, so feel like I can justify a balanced response to the now banned 'omeganuepsilon'. I use the 64-bit rc on a dual boot and have found it as stable as my xp 32 is. It feels snappier and somehow comfy like an old sweater or something. 4Gb of ram feels fine compared to the 3 I was forcing xp to use with the 3gig boot.ini switch. However I've recently been working on high bit depth HD footage and that 4gb soon disappears once I'm rendering and compositing at the same time. Having looked at my system full loaded, 7 has dropped a load of ram leaving me with well over 3 gig to play with and that's with a lot of software installed. But being at the limit of my 4 gig now, 8 is on the cards.
Whatever probs were in Superfetch seem to be gone in my opinion. It works, freeing up RAM when I need it. I'm looking forward to getting my pre-order this week, or next if the Royal Mail here in Britain do go on strike.
It's a shame the original poster didn't check out the major cg forums. Plenty of people on there with day to day experience in their industry.

Alex
Hello, welcome to SF, and we're glad you've chosen to start posting!

I don't have your background in professional graphics (or indeed in any graphics at all), and I don't disagree with anything you've said in your post, but I'll use it as a springboard for mild ranting on the topic of Superfetch and Just Why It Wasn't Really The Cause Of His App Instabilities.

Superfetch is not a separate entity in terms of memory requirements. It has no ability to hold on to memory or to arbitrate which process should or shouldn't get memory. All it does is to pre-populate RAM with pages of memory deemed likely to come in useful soon, based on the way the machine has been used in the past.

RAM can never be empty. It's probably more accurate to think of it as either being assigned to a task or unassigned. That memory which is currently unassigned can speed up many upcoming tasks if it's predictively pre-populated. That's all that superfetch does. If it guesses right, the result is a speed boost. If not, there is absolutely no harm whatsoever because the act of repurposing the memory takes just as long irrespective of whether it contained an incorrect (superfetch) guess or just random junk.

In the OP's case, there was this "stability" undercurrent which seemed to me to be the real issue. People sometimes have a way of latching on to their own diagnosis of a particular problem to the point where it becomes more important to uphold their reasoning than to resolve the problem. While I'm sure that superfetch had nothing to do with his apps' lack of stability (it can't influence memory repurposing), there are plenty of other memory-related reasons why apps living on the edge may fail. A bit of tuning can frequently help, but sadly in the OP's case there were other compounding issues which proved insurmountable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2009   #27
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
...People sometimes have a way of latching on to their own diagnosis of a particular problem to the point where it becomes more important to uphold their reasoning than to resolve the problem...


i haven't got anything to add to this discussion, but i just had to quote this snippet.

i salute you, oh acidic one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2009   #28
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
...People sometimes have a way of latching on to their own diagnosis of a particular problem to the point where it becomes more important to uphold their reasoning than to resolve the problem...


i haven't got anything to add to this discussion, but i just had to quote this snippet.

i salute you, oh acidic one.
Thank you Mickey

I should of course have added that I'm a card-carrying member of the Opinionated Argumentative Inflexible Bas###ds Society. Sometimes I run across individuals who're seemingly able to decouple their egos from their troubleshooting - and I feel awed by their talent. From watching your work, I suspect you may be one of those rare individuals.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2009   #29
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

well thank you, i am honoured by your suspicion - my ego has had to put up with a lot of decoupling over the years
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2009   #30
ajcgi

Dual boot XP pro 32 and win 7 pro
 
 

H2SO4, it's plainly written posts like that which kept me coming back to this forum for solutions to a few things.

Back when Vista came out a lot of the post production community were worried about the often mentioned resource-hogging and continual hard drive access that many of the initial users were complaining about. When you're working with anything involving video or visual effects there's a need for a quick, responsive OS which isn't so busy with the hard drive that it slows things down.

From what I hear, these issues were resolved with later service packs, and it certainly seems resolved with 7. The only time I hear my pc going mental is when I've been away for a cup of tea. As soon as I resume work it lets me. Great stuff, and I really hope those in my field of work who shunned Vista will consider 7, especially the 64-bit version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows7 Minimalist RAM question.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Failed install windows7 home to windows7 enterprise
I have an HP Compaq dx2000mt desktop that has windows7 32bit enterprise installed on it. I tried to install windows7 home 32bit to replace the enterprise OS. As I was installing it stated the old OS would be marked, XXX.old and it went forward, then came to a point where there were booting errors....
Installation & Setup
Browsers: Does minimalist win the race?
Source - Browsers: Does minimalist win the race? | ZDNet
Browsers & Mail
Question About a Custom Windows7 Button
I just got windows 7 3 days ago, made a custom start button and had a question about a transparent "dead zone" or maybe its more like an "active zone" around it when i scroll over the button. Is there a way to fix this do i have to just deal with it. I tried to get a picture of it but its hard to...
Customization
Minimalist RAM Usage?
Hey everyone; this is my first post on these forums, so I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. When I run windows 7 idle, I get somewhere in the neighborhood from 600 MB used (for a second or two after start up) to about 900 MB used. This is from an idle computer running no programs, with...
Performance & Maintenance
Minimalist
With it being out in BETA now and lotsa people testing i was just wondering who here has experimented at installs of 7 on minimum....or less than required specs. This may make for some interesting results. Have at it and post your results.
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App