Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Prefetch and SSDs

09 Jul 2011   #31
stereo

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Is there a possibility it has something to do with ready boost? Ready boost is part of Superfetch. Most SSD forums recommend to turn off superfetch so there must be a reason.
What now ? Should i disable or should i leave it on ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Jul 2011   #32
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

I'm with WHS. SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System

Leave it on if it works better for you.
That is what I'm doing.

I tried it both ways and it works better with Superfetch on.

Neither way is wrong. What works best for you is the way to have it.

Mike
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2011   #33
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
I'm with WHS. SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System

Leave it on if it works better for you.
That is what I'm doing.

I tried it both ways and it works better with Superfetch on.

Neither way is wrong. What works best for you is the way to have it.

Mike
That's what I think. But the Intel toolbox disagrees.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jul 2011   #34
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
That's what I think. But the Intel toolbox disagrees.
Exactly, and they seem pretty convinced that it should be turned off...I just don't understand why.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2011   #35
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
That's what I think. But the Intel toolbox disagrees.
Exactly, and they seem pretty convinced that it should be turned off...I just don't understand why.
I don't either. I've been to their forums and searched, they say turn it off but no explanation of why. I've turned mine back on for now. I want to see how it works out. OCZ forum says the same with no explanation. I've tried it both ways with the vertex2 and saw no difference, but it seems to make a difference with Intel.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2011   #36
hp79

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
That's what I think. But the Intel toolbox disagrees.
Exactly, and they seem pretty convinced that it should be turned off...I just don't understand why.
I don't either. I've been to their forums and searched, they say turn it off but no explanation of why. I've turned mine back on for now. I want to see how it works out. OCZ forum says the same with no explanation. I've tried it both ways with the vertex2 and saw no difference, but it seems to make a difference with Intel.
Intel tool box might not consider how much ram you have, and could just think 4gb as the maximum. Or it has no idea how the user uses his memory. I'd say if you have 8gb+ and don't have much other things for the ram, leave superfetch on whatever intel toolbox says.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2011   #37
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stereo View Post
Should Prefetch be disabled or not ? for SSD owners..
I keep Superfetch on. It should work even better with SSDs. Instead of loading frequently used programs from the SSD into memory when you first use them, superfetch will load them in the background at startup - and this pre-loading shouldn't take very long with an SSD. It will be a faster first time load, but then again it may not be that perceptible to you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2011   #38
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

According to Overclockers net, an SSD writes in blocks, superfetch loads the memory to ram but writes its logs to the SSD thus writing a whole block. Everytime it detects a change in your patterns, it writes a new log to the same block. The concern seems to be that it is not the size of the writes that will hurt the SSD, because the logs are verry small, but it is the constant writes to the same block. They also say that ram does not write in properly aligned sectors. How much truth is there, I don't know. But I have read on the Intel forums that SSDs write in blocks. If the SSD is set up in 512kb blocks and you write 4kb to it, the SSD will write 0 or 1's to the rest of the block.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2011   #39
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
According to Overclockers net, an SSD writes in blocks, superfetch loads the memory to ram but writes its logs to the SSD thus writing a whole block. Everytime it detects a change in your patterns, it writes a new log to the same block. The concern seems to be that it is not the size of the writes that will hurt the SSD, because the logs are verry small, but it is the constant writes to the same block. They also say that ram does not write in properly aligned sectors. How much truth is there, I don't know. But I have read on the Intel forums that SSDs write in blocks. If the SSD is set up in 512kb blocks and you write 4kb to it, the SSD will write 0 or 1's to the rest of the block.
An SSD won't let you write to the same physical block over and over. Wear leveling will prevent that. Windows writes small amounts of data to lots of logs and databases (like the registry for instance). This is no different I think.

I have had my OS on an SSD for 1 month now with 176 power-on hours and with Superfetch/prefetch on. I also have my browser and photoshop caches on the drive. According to the SMART wear indicator from the drive, I have used .16% of the SSD lifetime. That means I have 50 years left on the SSD! (12 power on years).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2011   #40
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

+1 GeneO

Spent the last hour plus on the Intel web site.
From everything I could find on the Intel site including the forum the controller by wear leveling rotates the write blocks.
Not a worry to me.
They could be a little more up front with explanations.
Unfortunately all the SSD makers think everything is top secret.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Prefetch and SSDs




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
why is my C:\Windows\Prefetch empty?
Hi i run w7 ultimate 64bit and my C:\Windows\Prefetch is empty i used total commander to see hidden folder and file , empty I enable Show hidden files, folders and drives and system file is empty again
General Discussion
Restore deleted Prefetch?
Hope it's ok to start a new post 'cuz the others concerning PF are about a year old. A friend who knows more about computers than I do was here a few days ago & I happened to ask about a little problem that was bugging me. He went through several things trying to find a solution & ended up...
Performance & Maintenance
prefetch folder
hi.i have WIN 7 64bit. i just get the attention from tune up program that some files in the prefetch folder is deleted by me or a program. idon't know if it is dangerous? if yes please tell me what should i do for repairing.THX!!
Performance & Maintenance
How to relocate prefetch location?
Greetings to all experts, still noob here. Anyone knows how to move the prefetch location on Windows 7 from C:\Windows\prefetch to another location or drive? I'm thinking to relocate all write activity from C: to the ramdisk. So far I only found the prefetch, temp and installed application that...
Performance & Maintenance
question about prefetch
hi i have a question about prefetch well xp , after booting and after 1 or 2 minutes ,create the file NTOSBOOT-*.pf and after with this file and others optimaze the boot and the programs that start up about w7 , i did notice that after some time of idle , w7 start to work and edit these...
Performance & Maintenance
Prefetch? On, Or Off?
Prefetch? On, Or Off? Dumb Question.. Is It Best To Have Prefetch Service On? Or Off? Does It Make Any Difference In Speed? Thanks
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:54.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App