Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: hdd constantly spinning

14 Nov 2009   #1
jsmason11

windows 7 pro x64
 
 
hdd constantly spinning

So, I installed windows7 pro x86 3 weeks ago and everything worked fantastic. I decided to try out x64 last night to use all 4g of ram and possibly add more. Now my boot ups take longer and my hdd seems to be constantly spinning, light is solid or rapidly blinking and everything seems to be slower. I put in a 4g flash for ready boost still slow. Chrome and IE8 freeze constantly. I watch netflix a lot and with 32bit quality was perfect, last night with 64bit and hdd spinning quality suffered for about 35 mins then magically it sounded like my system shutdown (the hdd finally stopped) and quality immediately improved along with web browser performance. I can't figure out what my hdd would be doing for this long. Can't help but think I may have ruined a good thing by trying x64, should I go back to x86. Thanks for all the info on this forum and any help you can give.
Joe


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Nov 2009   #2
OpSysWiz

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jsmason11 View Post
So, I installed windows7 pro x86 3 weeks ago and everything worked fantastic. I decided to try out x64 last night to use all 4g of ram and possibly add more. Now my boot ups take longer and my hdd seems to be constantly spinning, light is solid or rapidly blinking and everything seems to be slower. I put in a 4g flash for ready boost still slow. Chrome and IE8 freeze constantly. I watch netflix a lot and with 32bit quality was perfect, last night with 64bit and hdd spinning quality suffered for about 35 mins then magically it sounded like my system shutdown (the hdd finally stopped) and quality immediately improved along with web browser performance. I can't figure out what my hdd would be doing for this long. Can't help but think I may have ruined a good thing by trying x64, should I go back to x86. Thanks for all the info on this forum and any help you can give.
Joe
Sounds likeyou turned on HDD indexing; do you recall doing that? It's off by default. Stick with x64. Simply switching to x64 had nothing to do with waht you experienced; something else going on there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #3
jsmason11

windows 7 pro x64
 
 

I don't remember doing that, but it says 14,127 items indexed. I just unchecked everything and I still have a blinking light
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Nov 2009   #4
jsmason11

windows 7 pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OpSysWiz View Post
Sounds likeyou turned on HDD indexing; do you recall doing that? It's off by default. Stick with x64. Simply switching to x64 had nothing to do with waht you experienced; something else going on there.
I don't think that was it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #5
OpSysWiz

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jsmason11 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OpSysWiz View Post
Sounds likeyou turned on HDD indexing; do you recall doing that? It's off by default. Stick with x64. Simply switching to x64 had nothing to do with waht you experienced; something else going on there.
I don't think that was it
Well, if it is, the indexing will soon end. Do you think you've picked up a virus or something -- check in Task Manager. Download and run Spybot and AdAware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #6
jsmason11

windows 7 pro x64
 
 

Strange thing happened again after about 25 mins (while running adaware) it sounded like something powered down and now everything is fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #7
jsmason11

windows 7 pro x64
 
 

adaware found and removed 14 cookies
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #8
jsmason11

windows 7 pro x64
 
 

what ever is happening I can't stop I think I might do another clean install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 hdd constantly spinning




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
R9 280x (one fan not spinning)
I had this graphic card for around a year now and it was working perfectly fine. Used it to mine cryptocurrency for a month or two but after that it was just used to game. I used to never go over 70~75c but now it goes to 83c while gaming and the (one) fan is pretty loud. Any fixes?
Graphic Cards
WMC and spinning up HD
So my TV Recording HD spins up as the PC wakes up but it takes ~15s to completely re-mount itself. Prob is, WMC seems to not know about this and a scheduled recording task fires immediately, no waiting for nothing and goes bad. How have you folks dealt with this? Other than telling the patient...
Media Center
CPU fan not spinning
I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 + to keep my CPU cool and to make the PC quieter. Ive always used EPU-4 engine from asus to keep the computer from using its full power and turning it to full when I want to play a game etc. I had the computer running on low power consumption with the EPU-4 engine...
Hardware & Devices
CPU fan not spinning
I've recently purchased an Asus P5G41T-M LX motherboard. I got an intel E6500 CPU for it. When i got it all set up, and turned it on, the BIOS alerted me with a CPU fan error. I opened the case and saw that while the chassis fan was working at full speed, the cpu fan was not so much as twitching....
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:20.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App