Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 28,542 TMP files and Disk Cleaner no help.

24 Jan 2016   #31
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Re: your image:



You should modify that to *.ffs_tmp otherwise you will delete ALL files with the .ffs extension.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jan 2016   #32
Stevekir

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Re: your image:



You should modify that to *.ffs_tmp otherwise you will delete ALL files with the .ffs extension.
SUCCESS! I searched for *.ffs_tmp during four tests of 50 each, testing my main programs, then all the rest. It took over 20 minutes and everything works.

Many thanks to you and the others for getting me through this.
............................................................
However, there is a mystery. Many of the deleted files have in their names major programs like Photoshop, Bridge, Lightroom and MS Office. (Image 1)

>> What on Earth was FreeFileSync doing accessing bits of these files? Surely backing up is a simple copy operation of the files produced by these programs.
............................................................
Returning to temporary files, when FreeFileSync starts every backup, it says it can't copy 6 files. Image 2 shows the particular error message for one of these, and image 3 a list of all of them. Image 4 shows the contents of the Rollback subfolder of one of them, image 5 the contents of a sub sub folder, and image 6 another window about an open directory. FFS offers to ignore these 6 files and I do so each time.

>> Should I delete these? If so, how?. And what do they mean?

Thanks again.

(This seems the last of this saga.)


Attached Thumbnails
28,542 TMP files and Disk Cleaner no help.-1.jpg   28,542 TMP files and Disk Cleaner no help.-4.jpg  
Attached Images
28,542 TMP files and Disk Cleaner no help.-3.jpg 28,542 TMP files and Disk Cleaner no help.-5.jpg 28,542 TMP files and Disk Cleaner no help.-6.jpg 28,542 TMP files and Disk Cleaner no help.-2.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2016   #33
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Re: your image:



You should modify that to *.ffs_tmp otherwise you will delete ALL files with the .ffs extension.
SUCCESS! I searched for *.ffs_tmp during four tests of 50 each, testing my main programs, then all the rest. It took over 20 minutes and everything works.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stevekir View Post
Many thanks to you and the others for getting me through this.
............................................................
However, there is a mystery. Many of the deleted files have in their names major programs like Photoshop, Bridge, Lightroom and MS Office. (Image 1)

>> What on Earth was FreeFileSync doing accessing bits of these files? Surely backing up is a simple copy operation of the files produced by these programs.
I know nothing about Free File Sync or it's settings as I have never used it. I'd guess that it's set to backup the directory where those original files are located.
............................................................
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stevekir View Post

Returning to temporary files, when FreeFileSync starts every backup, it says it can't copy 6 files. Image 2 shows the particular error message for one of these, and image 3 a list of all of them. Image 4 shows the contents of the Rollback subfolder of one of them, image 5 the contents of a sub sub folder, and image 6 another window about an open directory. FFS offers to ignore these 6 files and I do so each time.

>> Should I delete these? If so, how?. And what do they mean?
They are Windows 10 Upgrade files that allow you to upgrade to Windows 10. They should not be removed if you are considering the free upgrade to Windows 10. However I'd say that it's probably wise to stick with Windows 7 at the moment until Windows 10 has become more stable.

Re: Windows 10 upgrade files removal. I'll leave that one for other members to help you with.

There is some info here - just read it for now:

Ultimate Outsider: Using GWX Control Panel to Permanently Remove the 'Get Windows 10' Icon

Ultimate Outsider: The GWX Control Panel FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jan 2016   #34
Stevekir

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 28,542 TMP files and Disk Cleaner no help.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Disk Cleaner making system unbootable
Hi all, Last night, I ran Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) on a reasonably fresh install of Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1, which resides on the only drive on the system - a 128GB SSD. I noticed it was reporting that over 800GB could be freed up from Temporary Files, but put this down to a minor glitch and...
Performance & Maintenance
What About a Cleaner??
What about a cleaner? I know many use CCleaner but is there any that is reputable/trustworthy, and only removes what its supposed to?
Performance & Maintenance
CC-cleaner
Hi Is there another good alteranative to Cc-cleaner? as you have to be carefull when excepting cleaner results
Software
N-Cleaner
Hi there I used to use a small program in XP called C-Cleaner but since changing to Windows 7 I have found a nice little piece of software called N-Cleaner, it works superb in Windows 7 and really does clean the junk and unwanted files. Apart from cleaning you can stop services sort the...
Software
Giveaway of the day/ Wise Disk Cleaner Pro
Hello all. This goes along with the usual warnings about deleting the wrong things from your system will make it unusable, so when in doubt make backups. I just thought that some would be interested in this software. Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. Wise Disk...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00.
Twitter Facebook Google+