Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7: Disk Cleanup fails for small capacity hard drives

02 May 2018   #11
GuglyBu

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Paul Black View Post
Hi GuglyBu,

I did not realise that you had an SSD!

It might be beneficial for you to fill in your system specs so that we have a better idea of what you are running and therefore be able to give you the correct advice!

SevenForums tutorial link for How to See Your System Specs with System Info.
It will also fill out your system specs for you:

System Info - See Your System Specs.

I hope this helps!
Thanks a lot! I updated. I didn't notice my info was not updated, thanks again!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 May 2018   #12
mrjimphelps

Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (VMWare host) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (VMWare guest)
 
 

You could delete the contents of your C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder to free up 6.7 GB of space.

If you ever have a problem with the Windows Update process, such as it being stuck, you can safely delete the contents of this folder; doing so will erase your Windows update history, causing Windows to start over with a clean slate on Windows Updates. That's the only effect you will see if you delete the contents of this folder.

Many people delete the SoftwareDistribution folder itself, rather than deleting the contents of it. It doesn't make any difference which you do, because if Windows can't find the folder, it will create a new one.

Here is some helpful information: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/softwa...der-in-windows
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2018   #13
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi GuglyBu,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GuglyBu View Post
Thanks! This actually helped me analyze my windows folder.
You're welcome!
It is a good liitle bit of software that I am sure you will use again in the future!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 May 2018   #14
GuglyBu

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

After freeing space, I now have 17GB free space, and got no more personal files/programs/hibernation etc that I can free. Disk cleanup still terminates during the run and doesn't free the promised space.

Since it doesn't seem that I am able to free anymore space, is there a way of manually deleting what disk cleanup fails to delete? What is the minimum space required for disk cleanup to run successfully?

Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2018   #15
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi GuglyBu,

CCleaner is another route that you could go down.

I have used CCleaner (FREE) for years now and it basically does what it says on the tin.
There is also a portable version (FREE) which obviously doesn't get installed and is run directly from a USB.
One thing I would strongly recommend is that if you decide to use it that you UNCHECK everything in the registry section.

I hope this helps!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2018   #16
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi GuglyBu,

Did you try mrjimphelps suggestion in post #12, if you haven't, I recommend that you do!

I hope this helps!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2018   #17
GuglyBu

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
You could delete the contents of your C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder to free up 6.7 GB of space.

If you ever have a problem with the Windows Update process, such as it being stuck, you can safely delete the contents of this folder; doing so will erase your Windows update history, causing Windows to start over with a clean slate on Windows Updates. That's the only effect you will see if you delete the contents of this folder.

Many people delete the SoftwareDistribution folder itself, rather than deleting the contents of it. It doesn't make any difference which you do, because if Windows can't find the folder, it will create a new one.

Here is some helpful information: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/softwa...der-in-windows
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Paul Black View Post
Hi GuglyBu,

Did you try mrjimphelps suggestion in post #12, if you haven't, I recommend that you do!

I hope this helps!
I have already done that (forgot to update). It freed some space but still not enough.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Paul Black View Post
Hi GuglyBu,

CCleaner is another route that you could go down.

I have used CCleaner (FREE) for years now and it basically does what it says on the tin.
There is also a portable version (FREE) which obviously doesn't get installed and is run directly from a USB.
One thing I would strongly recommend is that if you decide to use it that you UNCHECK everything in the registry section.

I hope this helps!
Good call. I ran it, it freed ~1GB but that is still not enough.
I now have free ~18GB. I remember Windows needed a certain amount of free space to run, though I cannot find the exact amount anywhere. I would appreciate any more help :)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2018   #18
Snick

Win 10 x64, Linux Lite, Win 7 x64, BlackArch, Kali, VMWare Workstation Player, OpenVPN
 
 

Usual recommend free space is approximately 20% of your Drive 125GB x 20% = 25GB
Just curious, when running disk cleanup, did you try unchecking most of the items (especially the large space usage ones) and then running it? If that works, keep checking them until you have all the junk removed.
I use CCleaner all the time, default settings on cleaner (except for windows logs I have unchecked) and registry. Default setting create a backup before cleaning. Although some on SevenForums complain about CCleaner trashing their Windows, I've never ever had an issue with it. By the way, there is a CCleaner enhancer that adds a plethora of additional items. If you would like it, I can upload the supplemental I have.

Just a thought, if you have free USB port, you could use thumbdrive/USB Stick to provide additional space. I've done that for a few of my clients to provide them additional storage without having to replace their small drive. When installing programs, you can choose to install them to the USB. You can purchase a SanDisk Ultra Fit 64 GB Flash Drive - USB 3.0 for about $20 US. It's small enough that you won't have to worry about bumping it and damaging the male or female connectors.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2018   #19
GuglyBu

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snick View Post
Usual recommend free space is approximately 20% of your Drive 125GB x 20% = 25GB
Just curious, when running disk cleanup, did you try unchecking most of the items (especially the large space usage ones) and then running it? If that works, keep checking them until you have all the junk removed.
I use CCleaner all the time, default settings on cleaner (except for windows logs I have unchecked) and registry. Default setting create a backup before cleaning. Although some on SevenForums complain about CCleaner trashing their Windows, I've never ever had an issue with it. By the way, there is a CCleaner enhancer that adds a plethora of additional items. If you would like it, I can upload the supplemental I have.

Just a thought, if you have free USB port, you could use thumbdrive/USB Stick to provide additional space. I've done that for a few of my clients to provide them additional storage without having to replace their small drive. When installing programs, you can choose to install them to the USB. You can purchase a SanDisk Ultra Fit 64 GB Flash Drive - USB 3.0 for about $20 US. It's small enough that you won't have to worry about bumping it and damaging the male or female connectors.
When I run Disk cleanup, it works if I check everything but the "Windows Update cleanup" (which supposedly should free 7.68GB), as they all together take a total of a few MBs.
I could do what you suggest, but that only postpones dealing with the problem: I have a lot of Windows junk that I cannot delete because there is too much Windows junk. The windows junk would stack up until my drive is completely out of space.

Here's an idea I had, which I am not sure of how safe it is, and would appreciate experts' opinions: C:/Windows/installer takes a huge amount of space (nearly 40GB). For my best understanding it is unsafe to delete this folder, which brings me to my idea: Suppose I temporarily move this folder to another place (say a USB stick), perform disk cleanup (which should work as I would have enough free space), and then bring back the installer folder to Windows directory. Will this work? Is it safe to do so? Are there any dangers of my screwing up my machine?

Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2018   #20
Ranger4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit sp1
 
 

Quote:
Here's an idea I had, which I am not sure of how safe it is, and would appreciate experts' opinions: C:/Windows/installer takes a huge amount of space (nearly 40GB). For my best understanding it is unsafe to delete this folder, which brings me to my idea: Suppose I temporarily move this folder to another place (say a USB stick), perform disk cleanup (which should work as I would have enough free space), and then bring back the installer folder to Windows directory. Will this work? Is it safe to do so? Are there any dangers of my screwing up my machine?
You need to be very careful doing anything with the Windows Installer file. This MS website might help you understand it.

Can you safely delete files in the %windir%Installer directory? The Windows Servicing Guy

You mention that you now have about 18 GB free on the HDD. Have you considered downloading Macrium Reflect Free & either cloning or making an image of your existing HDD to a larger, say a 250 GB drive. You can download Macrium Reflect Free at this website.

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7: Disk Cleanup fails for small capacity hard drives




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Disk Cleanup fails to configure
Hi............I tried to use Disk Cleanup to reduce the "Windows Update Cleanup" of 6.5GB. The process went smoothly configuring the changes during shut down and again configuring on re-boot to 100% where it stopped. I waited an hour then powered down and rebooted and found that the configuring now...
Performance & Maintenance
Performing Disk Cleanup is eating up my Hard Drive Space
Hi, I've just recently installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on my laptop. I've performed all the latest Windows Update until the point where it showed 'Windows is updated'. However, when i was performing Disk cleanup, i've realised my hard drive space is reducing. The space will keep on reducing...
Performance & Maintenance
Computer fails to boot after using Disk Cleanup.
Hey guys, At the minute Windows 7 is completely failing to boot on my PC. I reach the Windows logo (with the loading animation) and it freezes after roughly half a second before restarting my computer. The machine also fails to boot into safe mode and recovery mode. Before I rebooted my...
General Discussion
160 GB hard drive shows capacity of 55 GB in Disk Management
What would cause a such a large chunk of the hard drive to not appear in disk management - the capacity is approximately a third of the total drive (see attached)!? I have used TreeSize and other tools to see if there is anything out of the ordinary, such as over-sized temp folders, pagefile,...
Hardware & Devices
windows 7 show me a larger hard disk capacity
Hi all, I am new here :) I have a strange problem and I wanted to share it with you guys hopefuly you guide me through an easy fix ... First of all, I have an Apple MacBook Pro and I've installed Windows 7 using boot camp. I assigned for windows 7 about 80 GB.
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17.
Twitter Facebook Google+