Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win7 32-bit slow (what am I doing wrong?)?

28 Jul 2019   #11
scottls59901

Windows 7 Pro (32)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
Hi Scott,

Yep it is,

Did the IE11 removal help??

Roy
Hey Roy:
I only have IE11, so I can't remove it- I tried Opera (Awful!) & Firefox (Too many Security updates).
I will install Chrome after I get SURT to clean up my system...
I should have installed SURT Now from link, but I saved it to a desktop folder/installed later. It hasn't shown yet (maybe because Sat & Sun... ?), and I'm not sure about installing it from the link again (212mb)?
Scott


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Jul 2019   #12
torchwood

W7 home premium 32bit/W7HP 64bit/w10 tp insider ring
 
 

Hi Scott,

No need to download again, just run it.

I myself use Palemoon & Waterfox, both also available as 32 bit portable run on a USB.
Your going to need another browser after W7 goes EOL

Did sfc /scannow fix anything

Roy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2019   #13
scottls59901

Windows 7 Pro (32)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
Hi Scott,

No need to download again, just run it.

I myself use Palemoon & Waterfox, both also available as 32 bit portable run on a USB.
Your going to need another browser after W7 goes EOL

Did sfc /scannow fix anything

Roy
Hey Roy:
sfc /scannow didn't find anything, and SURT never did show up?
I'm wondering if it's my BD Internet Security that's slowing/goofing things up?- It's in the cloud (hate in the cloud!), I have 100mbps cable internet, but it's still slow to load...
I tried Norton IS, and Mcafee, but didn't like them!


I prefer a 2-way firewall!- Is there an IS that you recommend?
Scott
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Aug 2019   #14
torchwood

W7 home premium 32bit/W7HP 64bit/w10 tp insider ring
 
 

Hi Scott,

If you ran it there will be a log here

C >> Windows >> logs >> CBS .. checksur

copy/paste it if present.

Only use the standard MS firewall

If you think BD is causing a problem dissable it, does IE load any quicker.

IF NO please install another browser then uninstall IE11.


Roy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Aug 2019   #15
scottls59901

Windows 7 Pro (32)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
Hi Scott,

If you ran it there will be a log here

C >> Windows >> logs >> CBS .. checksur

copy/paste it if present.

Only use the standard MS firewall

If you think BD is causing a problem dissable it, does IE load any quicker.

IF NO please install another browser then uninstall IE11.


Roy
Hey Roy:
Re: Just run SURT (KB947821)- is a Windows update, when I ran/installed it from a desktop folder, it was supposed to appear in a later check for updates, but it never did? It wouldn't surprise me if MS disabled it to help force Win 10...?


RE: Only use the standard MS firewall- Prior to BD, I was using the useless MS AV, and somehow my IE11 Google browser got hacked/hijacked...? Installed BD, changed my PW, and browser is now secure.
Could also be that IE11 is a hackers delight? Chrome could be more secure?


I have been looking at Trend Micro AV that just uses the Win FW- It gets good reviews, other than many FP's, and deletes lots of suspicious programs/files. I have several old XP programs installed (my reason for 32-bit), that I feel it wouldn't recognize...!?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2019   #16
torchwood

W7 home premium 32bit/W7HP 64bit/w10 tp insider ring
 
 

Hi Scott,

SURT does not appear in installed updates, its a run once application KB.
Can i see the log from it.

Install another Browser, remove IE11.
REBOOT and then run the prog below

Ah new info so you suspect you were infected, makes a lot of difference.
Are you sure its been totally removed!!!!
run this tool i'll give it a once over
POST BOTH LOGS
Downloading Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

After W7 EOL IE11 will become a hackers delight, it wont be updated.


Roy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2019   #17
scottls59901

Windows 7 Pro (32)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
Hi Scott,

SURT does not appear in installed updates, its a run once application KB.
Can i see the log from it.

Install another Browser, remove IE11.
REBOOT and then run the prog below

Ah new info so you suspect you were infected, makes a lot of difference.
Are you sure its been totally removed!!!!
run this tool i'll give it a once over
POST BOTH LOGS
Downloading Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

After W7 EOL IE11 will become a hackers delight, it wont be updated.


Roy
Hey Roy:
IE gave a warning message while "trying" to download Farbar- Saying it is not commonly downloaded, and may harm your computer- I'll pass as I have also run on-demand scans with MBAM&/Rootkit.


Here is checksur log-

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 26.0
2019-07-26 20:13
Checking Windows Servicing Packages
Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
Checking Package Watchlist
Checking Component Watchlist
Checking Packages
Checking Component Store
Summary:
Seconds executed: 59
No errors detected



-When installing Windows Updates, I no longer get an Updates were installed/View msg (check for update problems..., detected no errors).


-When I install Win updates, and it does a shutdown, how long should I wait before restarting (I usually wait 8min)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Aug 2019   #18
torchwood

W7 home premium 32bit/W7HP 64bit/w10 tp insider ring
 
 

Hi Scott,

That tool, Farbar, is the tool of choice for all the Security Analysts at BleepingComputers - have look.
Its been downloaded over 4 million times
The IE warning is a false positive

SURT results are good, which likely means a third party program problem is causing your issues or malware.
Ignore the warning and post the results.

As for the shutdown/restart time do it straight away processing is done either side of it.


Roy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2019   #19
scottls59901

Windows 7 Pro (32)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
Hi Scott,

That tool, Farbar, is the tool of choice for all the Security Analysts at BleepingComputers - have look.
Its been downloaded over 4 million times
The IE warning is a false positive

SURT results are good, which likely means a third party program problem is causing your issues or malware.
Ignore the warning and post the results.

As for the shutdown/restart time do it straight away processing is done either side of it.


Roy
Hey Roy I downloaded Farbar, and scanned it with Virustotal.(see attached .jpg).
It may be OK, but I'll pass on running it?


Attached Thumbnails
Win7 32-bit slow (what am I doing wrong?)?-farbarbad.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2019   #20
torchwood

W7 home premium 32bit/W7HP 64bit/w10 tp insider ring
 
 

Hi Scott,

Thats a shame, it really is SAFE.
The reason its flagged is that it uses the highest privilages.
As i said its the tool of choice - its even used on the Malwarebytes security forum - check it out.

Lets try a purely info tool - ignore the title it provides a great deal of info
Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions


Can you confirm if your still only running IE.


Roy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win7 32-bit slow (what am I doing wrong?)?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
What's wrong: CSM is ON, SecBoot is Off, HDD is MBR. Win7 x64
Apologies for another UEFI related thread. I've opened up about 10 tabs on this and most threads descend into chatter or skip a step that makes it unclear what the solution is. I've seen the "Windows 7: UEFI - Install Windows 7 with" thread. Steps 2, 4, 5 are done. Step 6 I can't do as the...
Installation & Setup
TCP/IP Analyzer results. seems slow. does this look wrong?
ę SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results Ľ Tested on: 11.11.2011 09:47 IP address: 67.171.xxx.xxx Client OS: Windows 7 TCP options string: 020405b40103030201010402 MSS: 1460 MTU: 1500 TCP Window: 17520 (multiple of MSS) RWIN Scaling: 2 bits (2^2=4)
Network & Sharing
71 processes at idle / computer slow - what's wrong?
My computer has gotten molasses-slow over the past 6-12 months with no major new programs. Could it have something to do with the 71 processes that Task Manager reports when the computer is freshly started, with no programs opened? They use about 1 Gb of RAM - is that high? High or not, the...
Performance & Maintenance
New Computer - Slow - What could be wrong?
Greetings, I recently just built my first rig, specifications can be seen under my profile, and already experiencing strange occurrences. For the components I have, I would have figured that it wouldn't act up like it is. Recently, while downloading a game, all performance seemed to lack, my...
Performance & Maintenance
Corsair Nova V128 SSD is so slow - whats wrong?
Hello, I have a problem with my new Nova V128 GB and I donít know whatís wrong with this drive. Cut to the chase: In HD Tune Pro Iíve sooo low score: http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2638/dysk1t.jpg http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/32/dysk2p.jpg
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:08.
Twitter Facebook