Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 uses 1gb RAM idle

28 Nov 2009   #11
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Your RAM usage looks perfectly fine for what you are running.
Something else is causing you problems.

Anyways, try this one. Start > type "service" open Services Manager > look for "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" stop it and set to Disabled.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Nov 2009   #12
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
NOD 32 is famous for eating Ram, it's been a problem for quite a while now.
Not on my system it ain't
The strange thing is that not everyone running NOD32 gets this problem, I'm glad it hasn't happend to you but the problem has been reported by thousands of people none the less.

I believe it has to do with the NIC-wifi problems that seem to be the biggest problem yet for Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #13
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Your RAM usage looks perfectly fine for what you are running.
Something else is causing you problems.

Anyways, try this one. Start > type "service" open Services Manager > look for "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" stop it and set to Disabled.

You are correct about Media player but once it goes though and collects data on music files it will calm down and should stop running all the time.

I agree that it's typical for the Ram usage to go up after a few days but using 1GB out of 2GB is 50 percent which isn't very normal. My 2GB system uses maybe 30 percent at the most. My other 1GB P4 system uses 50 percent but with only 1GB that is expected.

The freezing problems are what I would worry about the most but they are hard to diagnose without more information. And I can tell you for sure that NOD32 and a few other anti virus software's have been causing memory leak problems " On certain machines".

Google the problems with Nod 32, they are all over the internet and there have been memory leaking problems associated with it for months now. Maybe a solution is out there for it by now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Nov 2009   #14
tw33k

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
The strange thing is that not everyone running NOD32 gets this problem, I'm glad it hasn't happend to you but the problem has been reported by thousands of people none the less.

I believe it has to do with the NIC-wifi problems that seem to be the biggest problem yet for Windows 7.
The only problem I ever heard of was with Eset Smart Security not running properly on Windows 7 but that has been fixed. Check the Security thread and you will find a HUGE number of people saying how low on resources NOD32 is
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #15
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
I agree that it's typical for the Ram usage to go up after a few days but using 1GB out of 2GB is 50 percent which isn't very normal. My 2GB system uses maybe 30 percent at the most. My other 1GB P4 system uses 50 percent but with only 1GB that is expected.
Sure my is around 30% to 40%. However, the OP is running a considerable amount of applications. And as far as I remember those require some RAM to be running. Either way the RAM usage is a none issue as long as it is given up the the application that holds it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #16
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
The strange thing is that not everyone running NOD32 gets this problem, I'm glad it hasn't happend to you but the problem has been reported by thousands of people none the less.

I believe it has to do with the NIC-wifi problems that seem to be the biggest problem yet for Windows 7.
The only problem I ever heard of was with Eset Smart Security not running properly on Windows 7 but that has been fixed. Check the Security thread and you will find a HUGE number of people saying how low on resources NOD32 is
I'm sure it's a good program that works perfectly on most systems, I'm not about to argue that point with you. But that is besides the point. The facts are that many users who installed Windows 7 reported memory leak problems associated with Nod 32 and a few other Anti virus's, On certain systems! Maybe you somehow missed the complaints about this over the last 5 months?

The Op seemed to be asking if a memory leak was a possiblity with either one of those anti virus's and I believe the answer is a resounding YES it is possible.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #17
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
I agree that it's typical for the Ram usage to go up after a few days but using 1GB out of 2GB is 50 percent which isn't very normal. My 2GB system uses maybe 30 percent at the most. My other 1GB P4 system uses 50 percent but with only 1GB that is expected.
Sure my is around 30% to 40%. However, the OP is running a considerable amount of applications. And as far as I remember those require some RAM to be running. Either way the RAM usage is a none issue as long as it is given up the the application that holds it.
Sure it's possible but unlikely. He seems to believe that a leak is occuring the moment his anti virus is installed, like a direct association between the two. At least that's what I was getting.

Seems like he noticed it was a problem associated with the anti virus rather than the number of programs installed.

So I just pointed out that it's a distinct possibility, only because I've seen so many complaints to that effect. I can't see the effect so I'am only going by what the Op is saying.

Only the Op can tell for sure what the actual problem is by just uninstalling those programs and see if the problem persists or not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #18
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Rule of thumb with troubleshooting as we all know:

Uninstall antivirus and/or firewall to test.

heh heh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #19
bitquestion

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
 
 

How much RAM does Windows 7 64 bit use in an idle situation?
Windows 7 32 bit uses around 600MB you say?
So I am wondering about the 64 bit version
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #20
HDBanger

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 
pic

Mine is pretty barebones I like to disable alot of services and crap I dont use,(indexer, prefetch, homegroups etc.) and dont need. Been running fine since the right click explorer crash problem was solved for me.


Attached Thumbnails
Windows 7 uses 1gb RAM idle-untitled.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 uses 1gb RAM idle




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Display goes dark after 5 min idle; set to turn off after 30 min idle
My display turns off (goes to black screen) after 5 minutes idle, even though I have display set to turn off after 30 minutes idle and the computer to sleep after 1 hour idle (this was done under Power Options in the Control Panel). This just started after the last big Microsoft updates were...
General Discussion
Windows 7 X64 Freezing when idle
Hello , recently I have been encountering some issues with my laptop freezing when being left idle for even just a few minutes. Until a couple of weeks ago everything seemed to be fine however after system restore , uninstalling programs here and there nothing seems to be helping... Any assistance...
General Discussion
Too much RAM being used on Idle (Windows 7 Pro)
Hello everyone. This is my very first post on this forum. So here is the problem. Just recently I have started having the issue of too much RAM being used on both my desktop and laptop. I am by no means a novice when it comes to computers. The desktop is a custom build and the laptop is a...
Performance & Maintenance
BSOD - Crashes while computer idle/not idle (Unpredictable)
Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit Clean installation to windows 7 from Windows XP professional Hardware 18 months old OS installed 2 weeks ago I am currently facing the lovely BSOD error. The computer was recently upgraded from windows XP to Windows 7 enterprise 64bit , this was a fresh...
BSOD Help and Support
windows 7 bsod when idle.
Is Windows 7 . . . Windows 7 Home premium - x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64 - the original installed OS on the system? The original OS is XP - an OEM or full retail version? It is OEM. I upgraded the original copy of XP - OEM = came pre-installed on system - Full Retail = you purchased it from...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 will not sleep when idle
Hi. I've been using windows 7 ultimate for almost 3 months now without any problems. However, a new issue has recently cropped up over the last three days (or so it seems). Essentially, my PC will S3 sleep when told to sleep manually, but will never idle to sleep. I've checked power settings...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App