Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: PC just recently began coming out of sleep...

25 Dec 2009   #1
dave1812

Win7
 
 
PC just recently began coming out of sleep...

when it shouldn't be. I installed 7 months ago and it's been fine (sleep worked correctly) until the last week or two--now when I come back to it after it's been asleep for some time, it sometimes has resumed. Very annoying when I get up in the morning and find the PC "on" for god-knows-how many hours. The ONLY device that I have set to wake the PC is the KEYBOARD.

QUESTION: is it POSSIBLE that ANY sort of software could wake up the PC prematurely? It would seem to me that it's only supposed to be hardware that can wake it up, such as mouse movement, network card, etc, but not software. I ask, because I have put a few programs on recently such as Volumouse, Everything, and startdelay.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Dec 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
when it shouldn't be. I installed 7 months ago and it's been fine (sleep worked correctly) until the last week or two--now when I come back to it after it's been asleep for some time, it sometimes has resumed. Very annoying when I get up in the morning and find the PC "on" for god-knows-how many hours. The ONLY device that I have set to wake the PC is the KEYBOARD.

QUESTION: is it POSSIBLE that ANY sort of software could wake up the PC prematurely? It would seem to me that it's only supposed to be hardware that can wake it up, such as mouse movement, network card, etc, but not software. I ask, because I have put a few programs on recently such as Volumouse, Everything, and startdelay.
Yes but i suspect your wifi/nic is doing it.

Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2009   #3
dave1812

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
when it shouldn't be. I installed 7 months ago and it's been fine (sleep worked correctly) until the last week or two--now when I come back to it after it's been asleep for some time, it sometimes has resumed. Very annoying when I get up in the morning and find the PC "on" for god-knows-how many hours. The ONLY device that I have set to wake the PC is the KEYBOARD.

QUESTION: is it POSSIBLE that ANY sort of software could wake up the PC prematurely? It would seem to me that it's only supposed to be hardware that can wake it up, such as mouse movement, network card, etc, but not software. I ask, because I have put a few programs on recently such as Volumouse, Everything, and startdelay.
Yes but i suspect your wifi/nic is doing it.

Ken J+
nic card is set to not wake up (device manager, NIC, properties, Power Management, unchecked box "allow this device to wake up the computer". The other item, "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" IS CHECKED.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Dec 2009   #4
dave1812

Win7
 
 

Since no one answered the question, I'll give you all an FYI:

I found the likely culprit this morning after yet another day with my PC turned ON when I got up. I checked the NAV log and showed activity at 2:28AM and subsequently throughout the early morning hours. The item being blocked was Googleupdate which is pretty weird because the googleupdate service is DISABLED in Services.msc. In any event, I uninstalled Google Gears. NEXT, I didn't feel comfortable that GG was the heart of the problem, so I did some more Googling on the subject of pc's waking up unexpectedly...and I found THIS: PC Wakes itself up from Hibernate everyday - microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter | Google Groups

I opened up Mediacenter, went to the options page and found that the guide was being updated at midnight. And guess what? THAT'S the program that I recently set up to provide Internet TV! I think my problem is solved.

Anyway, that's my contribution for the day...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #5
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
Since no one answered the question, I'll give you all an FYI:

I found the likely culprit this morning after yet another day with my PC turned ON when I got up. I checked the NAV log and showed activity at 2:28AM and subsequently throughout the early morning hours. The item being blocked was Googleupdate which is pretty weird because the googleupdate service is DISABLED in Services.msc. In any event, I uninstalled Google Gears. NEXT, I didn't feel comfortable that GG was the heart of the problem, so I did some more Googling on the subject of pc's waking up unexpectedly...and I found THIS: PC Wakes itself up from Hibernate everyday - microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter | Google Groups

I opened up Mediacenter, went to the options page and found that the guide was being updated at midnight. And guess what? THAT'S the program that I recently set up to provide Internet TV! I think my problem is solved.

Anyway, that's my contribution for the day...
Check the task scheduler. The computer is suppose to wake to perform scheduled tasks.

Gee I was typing as you were answering.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #6
dave1812

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
Since no one answered the question, I'll give you all an FYI:

I found the likely culprit this morning after yet another day with my PC turned ON when I got up. I checked the NAV log and showed activity at 2:28AM and subsequently throughout the early morning hours. The item being blocked was Googleupdate which is pretty weird because the googleupdate service is DISABLED in Services.msc. In any event, I uninstalled Google Gears. NEXT, I didn't feel comfortable that GG was the heart of the problem, so I did some more Googling on the subject of pc's waking up unexpectedly...and I found THIS: PC Wakes itself up from Hibernate everyday - microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter | Google Groups

I opened up Mediacenter, went to the options page and found that the guide was being updated at midnight. And guess what? THAT'S the program that I recently set up to provide Internet TV! I think my problem is solved.

Anyway, that's my contribution for the day...
Check the task scheduler. The computer is suppose to wake to perform scheduled tasks.

Gee I was typing as you were answering.
OK, i just opened the task scheduler...

Under Task Status, Last 30 days, there are NO tasks listed!

Under Active Tasks there are quite a few listed, which puzzles me, seeing as how the Task Status shows zero having run in the past week.

Some tasks listed in Active Tasks:

RacTask next run: today 7:08AM (current time is 6:42am)
GoogleUpdateTaskMachine UA today 7:33AM
Consolidator today 9AM
(and a few others)


Seems to me Task Scheduler isn't running; otherwise there would be some completed tasks. Yet when I go to services.msc, it shows it's set to "automatic" startup.

ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #7
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
Since no one answered the question, I'll give you all an FYI:

I found the likely culprit this morning after yet another day with my PC turned ON when I got up. I checked the NAV log and showed activity at 2:28AM and subsequently throughout the early morning hours. The item being blocked was Googleupdate which is pretty weird because the googleupdate service is DISABLED in Services.msc. In any event, I uninstalled Google Gears. NEXT, I didn't feel comfortable that GG was the heart of the problem, so I did some more Googling on the subject of pc's waking up unexpectedly...and I found THIS: PC Wakes itself up from Hibernate everyday - microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter | Google Groups

I opened up Mediacenter, went to the options page and found that the guide was being updated at midnight. And guess what? THAT'S the program that I recently set up to provide Internet TV! I think my problem is solved.

Anyway, that's my contribution for the day...
Check the task scheduler. The computer is suppose to wake to perform scheduled tasks.

Gee I was typing as you were answering.
OK, i just opened the task scheduler...

Under Task Status, Last 30 days, there are NO tasks listed!

Under Active Tasks there are quite a few listed, which puzzles me, seeing as how the Task Status shows zero having run in the past week.

Some tasks listed in Active Tasks:

RacTask next run: today 7:08AM (current time is 6:42am)
GoogleUpdateTaskMachine UA today 7:33AM
Consolidator today 9AM
(and a few others)


Seems to me Task Scheduler isn't running; otherwise there would be some completed tasks. Yet when I go to services.msc, it shows it's set to "automatic" startup.

ideas?
Did you make changes to the scheduled tasks? There are suppose to be several tasks scheduled by default: system restore, backup and restore, system image, defrag. I am sure you had some last week. Why it does not show,I do not know. But you may be right,it is not running, I will look into that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #8
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Do this for me Dave, check to see if automatic restore points are being made in System Restore. IF not TS is definately not working v not showing tasks completed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #9
dave1812

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post

Check the task scheduler. The computer is suppose to wake to perform scheduled tasks.

Gee I was typing as you were answering.
OK, i just opened the task scheduler...

Under Task Status, Last 30 days, there are NO tasks listed!

Under Active Tasks there are quite a few listed, which puzzles me, seeing as how the Task Status shows zero having run in the past week.

Some tasks listed in Active Tasks:

RacTask next run: today 7:08AM (current time is 6:42am)
GoogleUpdateTaskMachine UA today 7:33AM
Consolidator today 9AM
(and a few others)


Seems to me Task Scheduler isn't running; otherwise there would be some completed tasks. Yet when I go to services.msc, it shows it's set to "automatic" startup.

ideas?
Did you make changes to the scheduled tasks? There are suppose to be several tasks scheduled by default: system restore, backup and restore, system image, defrag. I am sure you had some last week. Why it does not show,I do not know. But you may be right,it is not running, I will look into that.
I'm totally mystified by why there are none listed, but when I go to Task Scheduler Library>Microsoft>Windows>"various items", there are dates and times for "last run". For example, under Media Center, "update record path" last ran on 12/21. Also, "mcupdate" did NOT run at midnight as suspected, according to the data showing in the library details--it shows it ran at 6:12AM. Since I've never really viewed this much detail for the scheduler, I'm very confused about the seemingly contrary info listed between the library details and the Task Status information.

oh, and just to add, in the library screen, "mcupdate" was indeed set to "wake the computer to run this task". (and I just manually edited the "next run" to disable that option)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #10
Ashma

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Dave I started a thread just like this because my notebook did the same thing. I woke up and it was on and super hot (had a cloth over my notebook). I too also just started setting up and using Media Center for the first time. I do notice sometimes (just a few minutes ago at 7:25AM) that the MediaCenter download Icon will appear in my System Tray for about a minute and if I left or right click nothing happens and it won't give me any info as to what it's doing.

I too also checked and saw no scheduled tasks that night (or within the last 7 days) when my notebook just turned itself on. BTW' I also just started using Everything; such a great little tool. If the problem is MediaCenter then I will try to make changes but I have way too many programs installed now to go on a hunt. 109 programs now and all is running fast and fine but I don't want my PC to wake up and run all night again..........


Ash

Sony Vaio AR790U/B Win7 Pro 64-bit Clean Install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 PC just recently began coming out of sleep...




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Computer has recently started to crash on sleep every time
Hi My custom build has recently started to misbehave, from a previously working condition! Basically every time it sleeps, it crashes and gives the recovery screen on restart, after which it performs as normal.
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD upon coming out of sleep.
This is the 2nd or 3rd time that I have had a BSOD when getting my system out of sleep mode. When it happens there is no warning. Everything is starting up and loading so the system is bogged down; not very responsive. Other than that, there is nothing that would indicate the immanence of a BSOD....
BSOD Help and Support
PC Crashes while in sleep - Started recently
Recently, I have been leaving my PC on a windowed game that isn't really CPU/GPU intensive at all. First four days of leaving it on this game my PC was fine, it came through the night, however the past 3 nights my PC has crashed different times throughout the nights and all data I had on the game...
BSOD Help and Support
BSoD when coming out of sleep
I keep getting BSoD when my computer comes out of sleep. This started after I did some over clocking. It's a x64 win7 OS on a top of the line system. Thanks in advance!
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD when coming out of sleep!
I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional and EVERY time I put the computer to sleep it crashes with coming back. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm not completely computer illiterate, but I don't know much about finding error codes and what not. This is pretty annoying but at...
BSOD Help and Support
It began, ended, and began again.
---> School. It began, ended, and began again. ---> Here, In Bulgaria, school starts 15th September. ---> Yes. 15th September is tomorrow. ---> I live in Bulgaria. ---> Tomorrow I start school. ---> I will be 7th grade. ---> I have to study hard. ---> I won't have much time for my PC. --->...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:57.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App