Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: x86 vs. x64

09 Jan 2010   #1
koondawg06

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
x86 vs. x64

I've had Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bit on my laptop for about 3 weeks now. It seems to be running fine (way better than vista ever did), but I was told it would run a lot better on lower end PC's with x86 instead. Is it worth my time to do a clean install and go down to the 32-bit version? I tried just selecting "Upgrade" on the setup CD so I could keep all my files and programs.. but when it checked for compatibility it gave me the following message attached. I really don't have a whole lot installed yet just the necessities so it wouldn't be a HUGE deal to do a clean install.. I was just wondering if you all thought I would notice it running a significant amount better on x86? Thanks.


**Edit: Here are my system specs...
Dell Inspiron 1501
AMD Sempron Processor 3600+ 2.00GhZ
2.00 GB of RAM
120 GB HD

Any other specs you need just ask..


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Jan 2010   #2
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

I cant see how it would be better unless you were running under the minimum requirment of ram,but even then if it seems ok...

Can you fill out your system specs?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2010   #3
FuturDreamz

Windows 8 Pro (32-bit)
 
 

as far as I've seen the only advantage to 64-bit is that it is able to access more than 4gb of RAM.
that being said, obsolete drivers and application compatibility is better on 32-bit
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jan 2010   #4
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by koondawg06 View Post

**Edit: Here are my system specs...
Dell Inspiron 1501
AMD Sempron Processor 3600+ 2.00GhZ
2.00 GB of RAM
120 GB HD

Any other specs you need just ask..
Its advised to use at 4GB of ram with the 64bit edition,but i have 3GB and it works fine so id say your will work fine aswell,i mean unless you have problems with it id leave it alone.
I cant see anyway a 32bit would make it run any better,plus now if you want to go for more ram it wont be a problem.

As for drivers and applications,some of the older applications mightnt work with 64bit becasue it wasnt used much back then,but if you have a program or hardware that works with win7,the drivers arent usally a problem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2010   #5
koondawg06

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

The only problem I see at all is my fan seems to be running a lot.. but that may happen on any OS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2010   #6
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by koondawg06 View Post
tried just selecting "Upgrade" on the setup CD so I could keep all my files and programs.. but when it checked for compatibility it gave me the following message attached.
You can't "upgrade" from a 64-bit OS to a 32-bit OS, you'll have to do a clean install. Now if it were the other way around, going from 32 to 64, then yeah, you could do the upgrade.

As for 32 vs 64, that comes down to hardware/driver/software as some are not 64-bit capable/compatible so it depends on what you have or want to use.

Good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2010   #7
koondawg06

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I kinda figured it was bass ackwards but I didn't know if windows would know the difference

Every program and driver has worked thus far for me... well except ready boost (See other thread)

So what would I notice differently from x64 to x86 I guess is my question?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2010   #8
Nemix

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by koondawg06 View Post
The only problem I see at all is my fan seems to be running a lot.. but that may happen on any OS?
64-Bit runs the CPU a bit hotter from my tests.

In my case I has 64-Bit for 3 months since Windows 7 released and just downgraded to 32-Bit and I feel I'm not missing out on anything. In fact I feel 32-Bit is faster on my system with 4GB ram but that's because I do not use any 64-Bit native applications such as Video Editing and Photo Editing where most users have said benefits most in a 64-Bit environment with 4GB ram or more and running native 64-Bit.

To all his own I guess but definitely 32-Bit with less than 3GB ram.

BTW, you'll have to backup all your files, reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows, all your drivers and all your programs.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2010   #9
IggyAZ

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by koondawg06 View Post
I've had Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bit on my laptop for about 3 weeks now. It seems to be running fine (way better than vista ever did), but I was told it would run a lot better on lower end PC's with x86 instead. Is it worth my time to do a clean install and go down to the 32-bit version? I tried just selecting "Upgrade" on the setup CD so I could keep all my files and programs.. but when it checked for compatibility it gave me the following message attached. I really don't have a whole lot installed yet just the necessities so it wouldn't be a HUGE deal to do a clean install.. I was just wondering if you all thought I would notice it running a significant amount better on x86? Thanks.


**Edit: Here are my system specs...
Dell Inspiron 1501
AMD Sempron Processor 3600+ 2.00GhZ
2.00 GB of RAM
120 GB HD

Any other specs you need just ask..
My suggestion is to install the X86 version. At the moment you get no advantages with the 64bit version
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2010   #10
koondawg06

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nemix77 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by koondawg06 View Post
The only problem I see at all is my fan seems to be running a lot.. but that may happen on any OS?
64-Bit runs the CPU a bit hotter from my tests.

In my case I has 64-Bit for 3 months since Windows 7 released and just downgraded to 32-Bit and I feel I'm not missing out on anything. In fact I feel 32-Bit is faster on my system with 4GB ram but that's because I do not use any 64-Bit native applications such as Video Editing and Photo Editing where most users have said benefits most in a 64-Bit environment with 4GB ram or more and running native 64-Bit.

To all his own I guess but definitely 32-Bit with less than 3GB ram.

BTW, you'll have to backup all your files, reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows, all your drivers and all your programs.

Well if it cools my system then I'm all for switching to 32-bit. I've already got most of my files backed up to a flash so I'm good there. Should I format my hard drive using the built in windows one during setup?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 x86 vs. x64




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App