Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Machine has slowed down considerably!!

30 Jan 2010   #1
taylormah

Vista
 
 
Machine has slowed down considerably!!

I have hp laptop with T7500 C2Duo and 3GB ram/32bit Win7 Ultimate. It used to be pretty fast machine but now almost everything has slowed down. Windows search takes almost 5-7 seconds to find programs or files and firefox takes 10 seconds+ for a start, chrome hangs often, program freeze frequently. I realized today while using a friend's laptop, having a P7350/4GB/64bit Vista, how fast programs should open on a machine like this. It was day-night difference in performance. Windows search was blazing fast and firefox started in under one second. Yes, we have 1gb difference of ram, but processor speeds are almost identical. I do have more programs installed and more data on hard drive, but that should not make a difference in program starup times. What can I do to make and keep my windows performing better and faster. Fresh install is one option, but what else can I do to maintain the briskness of OS???


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Jan 2010   #2
Coolness

Win 7 pro 64-bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by taylormah View Post
I have hp laptop with T7500 C2Duo and 3GB ram/32bit Win7 Ultimate. It used to be pretty fast machine but now almost everything has slowed down. Windows search takes almost 5-7 seconds to find programs or files and firefox takes 10 seconds+ for a start, chrome hangs often, program freeze frequently. I realized today while using a friend's laptop, having a P7350/4GB/64bit Vista, how fast programs should open on a machine like this. It was day-night difference in performance. Windows search was blazing fast and firefox started in under one second. Yes, we have 1gb difference of ram, but processor speeds are almost identical. I do have more programs installed and more data on hard drive, but that should not make a difference in program starup times. What can I do to make and keep my windows performing better and faster. Fresh install is one option, but what else can I do to maintain the briskness of OS???
If you have loads of stuff on your harddrive, cookies, viruses... All of theese slow down your computer. A clean install will make your pc a lot faster, but you should also check for missing drivers, since those cause slow down. Just go to device manager and check for yellow triangles
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2010   #3
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Common complaint. Lets make sure it is not something with more ramafications than just speed.

Run a full scan with your Anti Virus

Download and run this
Malwarebytes.org

Turn off your antivirus and see how it runs

Do a disc clean. Go to c drive

Do a scan C drive properties

Do a defrag

Then try in safe mode (tap f8 repeatedly during boot(
If this runs fast, then we will do a clean boot to determine cause if the problem
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

I would also do a memory diaganosis over night (6 hours)
Type that phase in search to get started.

Finally, you did not fill in system specs. How much memory do you have?
Is is all being recognized?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Jan 2010   #4
Victek

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by taylormah View Post
I have hp laptop with T7500 C2Duo and 3GB ram/32bit Win7 Ultimate. It used to be pretty fast machine but now almost everything has slowed down. Windows search takes almost 5-7 seconds to find programs or files and firefox takes 10 seconds+ for a start, chrome hangs often, program freeze frequently. I realized today while using a friend's laptop, having a P7350/4GB/64bit Vista, how fast programs should open on a machine like this. It was day-night difference in performance. Windows search was blazing fast and firefox started in under one second. Yes, we have 1gb difference of ram, but processor speeds are almost identical. I do have more programs installed and more data on hard drive, but that should not make a difference in program starup times. What can I do to make and keep my windows performing better and faster. Fresh install is one option, but what else can I do to maintain the briskness of OS???
.
Low disk space is one possible cause. If you need to free up space you can delete unneeded system restore points and shadow copies (the amount of space used can be adjusted in System Protection). I would also suggest using Perfectdisk or Puran defrag which both have a boot-time option for defragging system files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2010   #5
D3ftOn3Z

Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
 
 

Remove unwanted softwares from your PC.

Analyze your disk daily and defrag it if needed.

Delete restore points.At least have one last known good restore point.

Configure your start-up programs.

Disable hibernate.

You might want to move your data files to a separate HDD/partition.

Run CCleaner to clear your temp files and fix registry errors.

Hope this helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2010   #6
harpua

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Retail)
 
 

This is weird. I have a machine with a T7500 C2Duo processor & 4 GB ram and up until a couple of days ago it was quite snappy, but now it is running like molasses also. I have tried various things, System restore to several days ago, SFC, malware scans, but so far nothing is helping to restore the speed. I'm still working on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2010   #7
taylormah

Vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by harpua View Post
This is weird. I have a machine with a T7500 C2Duo processor & 4 GB ram and up until a couple of days ago it was quite snappy, but now it is running like molasses also. I have tried various things, System restore to several days ago, SFC, malware scans, but so far nothing is helping to restore the speed. I'm still working on it.
Similar situation here. I update my drivers every month, I use MS Security Essentials and I tried using PC without it, and not much increase in speed. I defrag regularly, clean registry and hard disk with CCleaner regularly, I have only 7 programs starting with windows and they are audio and intel programs, my data/music/video files are on a separate partition already which are daily defraged, I have 40GB space free on the system partition. Everything I am doing should keep the pc in healthy and snappy state, but I am still trying to figure out what could be keeping it slow. Any other ideas guys??

@harpua, please let me know also if you find something which is slowing your pc down..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2010   #8
Victek

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by taylormah View Post
Similar situation here. I update my drivers every month, I use MS Security Essentials and I tried using PC without it, and not much increase in speed. I defrag regularly, clean registry and hard disk with CCleaner regularly, I have only 7 programs starting with windows and they are audio and intel programs, my data/music/video files are on a separate partition already which are daily defraged, I have 40GB space free on the system partition. Everything I am doing should keep the pc in healthy and snappy state, but I am still trying to figure out what could be keeping it slow. Any other ideas guys??
.
You could try a process explorer, such as Process Hacker to view all active processes and CPU usage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2010   #9
harpua

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Retail)
 
 

Well I think I finally figured out the cause of my particular problem with W7 slowing down all of a sudden. It appears to have been caused by an update to Comodo Firewall aka Comodo Internet Security. They just issued a new update (587) that appears to have fixed the problem, at least for me.

If you have Comodo Firewall installed, open the program, go to the misc tab, click update and let it update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2010   #10
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Internet Security Suites of all kinds, from all manufacturers will at some point cause problems.

I personally don't recommend them as there really is no need for them at all.

A good Anti Virus (MSE) and Anti-Malware (MalwareBytes and Spybot) scans every so often, and good surfing practices, are all that is really needed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Machine has slowed down considerably!!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Booting taking considerably longer after reinstalling Windows 7 on SSD
After doing a complete reinstall of Windows 7 on my Crucial M4 SSD, I'm noticing it takes considerably longer to boot into Windows than it used to on my previous install. I suspect there could be a lot of potential causes for this, but I'm not sure where to even start. Any suggestions?
General Discussion
slowed down boot up
OK, i was in Cali for about 4 days so i left my pic on to remote access it from my iPhone (bf3 early beta was about to come out so i wanted to download it before i got back) any ways, when i came back i turned it off for the first time since i left and back on. since them my PC has been taking a...
Performance & Maintenance
Sharing a printer from 32bit machine to 64bit machine without drivers.
G'day all! (first post here!! :P) Ok..so this is my situation: I have a server...and i have installed a printer to it - the Canon LBP 3200 - the server is a 32bit machine running win7 pro...anyways...this printer does not have ANY 64bit drivers (which my main machine runs win7 ulti x64) so...
Drivers
Win 7 Slowed WAY down
Guys, I am having a problem with my PC that maybe you can help me with. Yesterday all of a sudden everything slowed WAY down. It would take 2-3 minutes for the system to respond to anything. Resources were at 75-100%. A problem like this is hard to work on when it takes so long for anything...
Performance & Maintenance
WTF, My Windows 7 machine has slowed down significantly
I have had Windows 7 installed on my laptop since early September (I had early access to a final build copy through IEEE). Everything was fine to start, but about a month ago it has just slowed to a halt. Boot up time is longer and the initial startup after logging in is painfully slow. When I...
General Discussion
PC has slowed right down when down loading.
Win 7, Ultimate RC 7100, 64 bit, Outlook Express and Live Mail, XP mode not installed or disabled. In April of this year with help from this and other forums I built a new PC from scratch, I installed as much ram as the new MB would allow which is 8GB. The MB is an Asus M3A78-EM. Every...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:45.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App