Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: CPU high usage

09 Sep 2009   #11
InvaderGIR

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t41 View Post
Thanks Johngalt - that was it - just wanted to confirm - as i found here for the benefit of others to see and understand it

What are wmpnscfg.exe and wmpnetwk.exe and Why Are They Running? :: the How-To Geek
I have this problem, but I want to still run media sharing to my 360.

Are there any known actual fixes for this problem?

I could run media sharing with my 360 fine on my Vista install, but now on Windows 7 I just get CPU maxing out all the time.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Sep 2009   #12
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by InvaderGIR View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t41 View Post
Thanks Johngalt - that was it - just wanted to confirm - as i found here for the benefit of others to see and understand it

What are wmpnscfg.exe and wmpnetwk.exe and Why Are They Running? :: the How-To Geek
I have this problem, but I want to still run media sharing to my 360.

Are there any known actual fixes for this problem?

I could run media sharing with my 360 fine on my Vista install, but now on Windows 7 I just get CPU maxing out all the time.
Have you installed any codecs? I heard around here on the fourm that the service in question gets stuck on certain files and thrown into a loop. Which sounds like a problem with a codec.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2009   #13
InvaderGIR

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Nope, I was having the problem before I installed anything. I had it before and figured it could have been an install issue, so reinstalled W7, run Windows Update etc. only, didn't install anything else, ran WMP12, then after telling it where to find my media it started throwing a fit.

Could it be due to video files that WMP12 needs codecs for, so it gets stuck? I don't normally use WMP for watching videos, I use another player, but have to import it into there to be able to use it on the 360 should I wish to do that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Sep 2009   #14
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by InvaderGIR View Post
Nope, I was having the problem before I installed anything. I had it before and figured it could have been an install issue, so reinstalled W7, run Windows Update etc. only, didn't install anything else, ran WMP12, then after telling it where to find my media it started throwing a fit.

Could it be due to video files that WMP12 needs codecs for, so it gets stuck? I don't normally use WMP for watching videos, I use another player, but have to import it into there to be able to use it on the 360 should I wish to do that.
Might just be the initial startup phase, lots of indexing to do and other activities. If you have a lot of media and told it to index it then yeah thats going to hammer away on your CPU until its done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2009   #15
InvaderGIR

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Might just be the initial startup phase, lots of indexing to do and other activities. If you have a lot of media and told it to index it then yeah thats going to hammer away on your CPU until its done.
That's a pain...I have ~730GB videos, ~130GB music and ~16GB pictures.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #16
gjb1124

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Did WMP ever stop hammering your CPU?
I ended up stopping the service but now think of using Media Center and will have to start the WMP service again.
Was curious if the was a fix?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2009   #17
scottmcgee

Windows 7 Prfessional 64 bit
 
 

I installed (clean install) my Win7 a week or so after it first came out (via advanced purchace). Ran fine until a week or two ago, then I started having problems with it maxing out the CPU. I could "fix" it temporarily by rebooting, but sometimes it would take an hour to shut down, and sometime I just had to use the reset button!

Some investigation lead me to disable the wmpnetwk service and, so far, it has seemed fine. I hope it will stay fine.

Meanwhile, I need to ask if an update effecting wmpnetwk came out recently? Like I say, the system was fine until recently. I am fine without wmpnetwk.exe running as I don't do any media sharing, and don't even use wmp, but I would like to know why things changed.

Any thoughts?

Scott
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2009   #18
jeremyleroy96

Windows 7 64 Bit
 
 

If it's anything like my problem it will come back randomly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2009   #19
michael123

Windows 7 x64
 
 

My CPU sometimes runs at 100%, but I'm pretty sure it's just throttling. Some modern processors slow down their clock speed or shut off some cores when not in much use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 CPU high usage




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Have high CPU usage and Memory usage
Hi. I was using my laptop a few days ago. I left to go out and came back about an hour later. I notice my CPU usage was running @ 100% & the memory @ 80%.My laptop just stopped. I went into safe mode and that is where I am currently . I have deleted almost everything I don't use(didn't...
Performance & Maintenance
High RAM usage
I have been getting this weird problem lately with Windows 7, and I apologize if this has been posted and solved before, but I couldn't find anything. So, I don't remember when this started, but my RAM usage is upwards to 78% with 4 GB of RAM. And I am currently running a lot of programs, true, but...
Performance & Maintenance
Very high CPU usage, causing very high laptop CPU temps (90c idle)
This problem began yesterday. I noticed my CPU was at 90C constantly with very high CPU usage (>50%). I had no major programs running. I rebooted several times and the program persisted. 1. I went into safe mode and everything was normal. So this rules out hardware issues. 2. I reformatted and...
Performance & Maintenance
High CPU usage, low fps, high latency.
Since Jan-Feb of this year I have encountered the following issue while trying to play games on my laptop. Abnormally High CPU Usage Extremely low FPS - After 5-20 Mins of play. Extremely High latency to servers - from 300 - 900 after 5 - 20 mins of play. The thing is all of these started 1...
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 random CPU usage and high physical memory usage!!!
Ok, I am literally KILLING myself over this! I installed Windows 7 64Bit over XP around a month ago and it was so good that I recommended it to my brother who was previously on XP too. We got him a copy of the 32bit version as he has only 2gb of memory, and he installed it on his machine....
Performance & Maintenance
High cpu usage
seems like this has been asked allot before... anywho from what lve seen my system has randomly gone into 50% usage but l cant see it from the task manager, and by the time l start the resource monitor it returns to normal again, its kinda annoying because l leave the resource monitor open for a...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:18.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App