Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: RAM Utilization

25 Feb 2010   #21
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TildeMerand View Post
Question relating to this thread:

With 3 Gb of RAM (My system)
Is it safe to disable my Pagefile?

I've been running it like that anyways, just curious though.

Thanks,

Matt~

Sorry Matt

3 gigs on 64 bit is barely enough leave the pagefile, you will be using it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Feb 2010   #22
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TildeMerand View Post
Question relating to this thread:

With 3 Gb of RAM (My system)
Is it safe to disable my Pagefile?

I've been running it like that anyways, just curious though.

Thanks,

Matt~
Depends what you do. Look into your Process Monitor how busy your RAM is and whether you get any hard page faults. As a general rule, I would leave the page file. It does not hurt and takes only 3GB of disk space (in your case).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #23
fatedquest

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by silentrite View Post
Ok, you got me. But ~$200 for Quality ram OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Flex EX Low Voltage Triple Channel OCZ Technology is not a bad deal.
You should really sell them then. Those overclockers will pay you well, after all it has a lifetime warranty. I think you'll make enough from it to get yourself 4GB of value ram + an Intel SSD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Feb 2010   #24
silentrite

Windows 7 RC x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fatedquest View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by silentrite View Post
Ok, you got me. But ~$200 for Quality ram OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Flex EX Low Voltage Triple Channel OCZ Technology is not a bad deal.
You should really sell them then. Those overclockers will pay you well, after all it has a lifetime warranty. I think you'll make enough from it to get yourself 4GB of value ram + an Intel SSD.

I would...but that is why I bought it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #25
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

You will cap out on using the OS and playing some games doing other minor stuff at 4G. You will rarely ever need more than 4G right now,, unless,, you are doing any of the following, more than 4G is not going to do a single thing for you or your system except waste money.

Video Editing
Photoshop or any image editing like CAD or 3DMax ,,, others
Audio Editing (Many Multiple Tracks at once)
Virtual Machines (Numerous)
Games Development

There might be a few other things.

Other than that, beyond 4G, you will not see one single bit of Speed or Response difference from the OS itself.

P.S. no matter how much RAM you have,, leave the page file alone. It is there for a reason and even Linux needs swap space. There is not one single reason to run without a page file, no matter how much ram you have.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #26
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
P.S. no matter how much RAM you have,, leave the page file alone. It is there for a reason and even Linux needs swap space. There is not one single reason to run without a page file, no matter how much ram you have.
There is a minimum setting required anyhow. If I remember right, it is 200MB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2010   #27
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

More RAM isn't always the best thing.
I/E: As far as overclocking goes, generally having all DIMM slots full will hurt a bit, or make it a bit more difficult to OC.

So instead of of running with 6 DIMMS, why not just Run with 3 if your goals are Overclocking,Benchmarking,Gaming?

It will be easier to achieve higher OCs, and 6GB should be more than enough for your needs.
It would be the optimal solution, IMO, for what you say you want to do with the machine.

You can still OC with all the DIMMS full, sure. But you'll hit a wall much sooner.

For me, I choose quantity over speed.
As for my personal needs, 4GB more RAM was more beneficial than the extra OC speeds I would gain with only 4GB for example.

This isnt always the case for everyone though, as we all use our machines for different purposes.
so wiegh your pros and cons.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2010   #28
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Yeah and Overclocking is such an art form that not everyone can achieve optimal stable results that actually produce any benefit. It's all in the choice of Hardware and overall PC knowledge and ability to understand and make proper corrections on the fly.

Again, it's an Art.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2010   #29
silentrite

Windows 7 RC x64
 
 

I definitely agree, it will be a bit more difficult to OC with all 6 DIMMS filled - and it is for sure an art form. My goal is to hit 4.0 ghz with my i7 920 (2.66ghz stock) I guess we'll see what happens! My last experience with OC'ing was an Athlon XP 1600+ (~1.8ghz) OC'd to 3200+ (3.2ghz) - that has been running stable for 4 years. It's been a couple of years, but after reading dozens of reviews / architecture layouts / OC'ing guides for the i7 I think I will be alright. Wish me luck!

BTW, I turned off the pagefile and ran Crysis for 2 hours last night and hit 6.68gb of RAM used. Still not 12gb but much closer.

thanks again to everyone for all the ideas and tips!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2010   #30
ForeverZero89

Win7 HP x64
 
 

have multiple web browsers, 6+ scanners, and a bunch of other programs running all at the same time. im sure you'll use it, lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 RAM Utilization




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
RunAway CPU Utilization!
WIndows 7 64-bit, ASUS i7 8 GB memory. Runaway CPU after 5 minutes of boot up. Task Manager useless- freezes before showing which process is responsible. SysInternals Process Manager freezes too. No indication of which process is responsible. Don't know if it is hardware, software, malware or what...
Performance & Maintenance
High CPU Utilization
Dear All, I am using HP ProBook 4520s laptop with Windows 7 Professional Edition with Service Pack 1 (Registered windows). I am using this laptop since more than a year and it was working absolutely fine. However now CPU utilization shoots to 100 % without any reason. Sometime Skype takes most...
Performance & Maintenance
100% cpu utilization in my laptop
Hi, i'm using windows 7 home premium in my laptop.it worked fine till last week. unknowingly i installed some adware(toolbar) in my pc. Later i removed the adware by scanning Spybot in safemode & even scanned with malwarebytes. Perfomed a boot time scan with avast free edition anti...
Performance & Maintenance
cpu utilization is 100% need help
Hello, I m using windows 7. whenever i click on the video files or folder containig those video files,this CPU utilization goes high.(100%). for this i need to restart explorer everytime whnever CPU utilization goes high.Because of this i m not able to play any video from system. I have attached...
Performance & Maintenance
help:need to lower CPU Utilization
CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services...
Hardware & Devices
High CPU utilization
I have a new system running W7 X64. It's an ASUS I7 with 8GB of memory, and I expected it to be blazing fast. It only has a handful of programs installed, but it is slower than my old P4 XP box. Initial problems - on about the third day I had it, it refused to boot. Tried safe mode and system...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App