Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Quieting Windows 7 down....

16 Mar 2010   #21
JimLewandowski

 
 

The blurb in Services about the WMI service say disabling it will cause many Windows functions/systems to not work. I just looked at this reliability index thing for the first time today. Fancy graph for Event Viewer.

Not disagreeing with your expertise, but not many Windows Services say that...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Mar 2010   #22
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JimLewandowski View Post
The blurb in Services about the WMI service say disabling it will cause many Windows functions/systems to not work. I just looked at this reliability index thing for the first time today. Fancy graph for Event Viewer.

Not disagreeing with your expertise, but not many Windows Services say that...
Hey... I've been wrong before .

I always turned WMI off in XP, used to make a big difference in performance, as did shutting down the Performance Counters... It wasn't trivial, you could see the difference. I always found it a bit silly that performance monitoring should have such a big impact on performance... very ironic. But who knows, maybe in Win7 it's different. I'm only a couple of weeks into this OS and I'm still learning...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2010   #23
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JimLewandowski View Post
The blurb in Services about the WMI service say disabling it will cause many Windows functions/systems to not work. I just looked at this reliability index thing for the first time today. Fancy graph for Event Viewer.

Not disagreeing with your expertise, but not many Windows Services say that...
Hey... I've been wrong before .

I always turned WMI off in XP, used to make a big difference in performance, as did shutting down the Performance Counters... It wasn't trivial, you could see the difference. I always found it a bit silly that performance monitoring should have such a big impact on performance... very ironic. But who knows, maybe in Win7 it's different. I'm only a couple of weeks into this OS and I'm still learning...
How's it going with WMI disabled? I'm curious since I read the list of associated services with it(those that needed it). Just a few were security center, ip helper and ics. Of those three, I have two of them disabled already. The security center must be a misprint since I haven't found a security center but then again it may be the security status from the action center. Anywho, I'm curious as to how it's going for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Mar 2010   #24
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
How's it going with WMI disabled? I'm curious since I read the list of associated services with it(those that needed it). Just a few were security center, ip helper and ics. Of those three, I have two of them disabled already. The security center must be a misprint since I haven't found a security center but then again it may be the security status from the action center. Anywho, I'm curious as to how it's going for you.
Thank you for asking Greg...

The "WMIEnable" flag hasn't crashed the system and everything seems to work as before except when I try a performance index (which I really care a rats backside about) it delivers an error message. Everything else seems to work so I'm betting it's not had much effect on the overal system.

That said it is not writing "LastAlive" timestamps every second like it used to. Disk Monitor and Resource Monitor show only activity that I would call "justifiable"... things like up dating the $MFT and $Log sections of NTFS and occasional R/W activity to my NTUSER account, about once every 10 minutes or so.

But... that cursed LED is still flashing once a second, regular as clockwork... Disk Monitor shows no activity, I don't hear any drive stepping... but it's still flashing...

Now the thing is I've done so much to this poor system trying to figure this out that I'm not sure of anything anymore. I was sort of hoping I might convince someone to try this experimentally on a more or less "out of the box" system and see what happened. I understand the lack of volunteers but ultimately confirmation can only come from duplicating my experiment...

In the mean time, until I get a resolution, I've put XP back in the other two machines, so life can get back to normal around here. I'm also going to take the afternoon tomorrow and do a clean install on this machine and see what happens without all my other trial and error mixed in...

Right now, I'm totally open to suggestions...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2010   #25
ultraplanet

Windows 7
 
 

If you guys are talking about the "WMI Performance Adapter" service?? Mine is set to Manual and is not started.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2010   #26
JimLewandowski

 
 

No. The Windows Management Instrumentation. Up higher (alphabetically) in services...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2010   #27
ultraplanet

Windows 7
 
 

Got it ... will look more carefully next time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2010   #28
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JimLewandowski View Post
No. The Windows Management Instrumentation. Up higher (alphabetically) in services...
In any event, I'm starting to think that's not it. With the registry flag set and the service disabled, I still get the same behavior... The disk writes are less frequent (couple of times a minute) but that cursed LED is still flashing once a second.

Anybody got any other ideas?

I'm like you Jim... I got very used to a system that would mostly shut itself down when inactive... Monitor off, drives spun down, etc... even when not in standby. This system seems to get busier when I'm not using it...

Actually I wish Microsoft would come clean about this and tell us what's going on... If this is somehow absolutely necessary for Win 7 to work that's one thing... but I will say it's getting very close to being a deal breaker; especially if it's going to shorten my hardware's lifetime.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2010   #29
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

I noticed this kind of activity increased on my desktop when I set a a home network. Whether the laptop is on and logged in or off seems to make no difference in the desktop's activity. I have not done any experimentation with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2010   #30
IggyAZ

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
 
 

The only thing that I have done is turn off all network sharing of directories and printer.
I do not have a network setup at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Quieting Windows 7 down....




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App