Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is my PSU really this hot?

22 Mar 2010   #1
hg3300

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 
Is my PSU really this hot?

I downloaded SpeedFan to change the speeds of my internal fans, obviously. In particular, this one fan that tends to make a lot of noise when above 50% of its peak speed.

So I'm looking at the temperatures, and I see something over 110 degrees Celsius.
Here is a list of the temps:
GPU: 40C
Temp1: 27C
Temp2: 30C
Temp3: 114C
Core: 31C

Now I did research (through other similar software) and I found out that Temp1=MB, Temp2=CPU, and Temp3=PSU.

My question to you is, how can my PSU be so hot and still run perfectly? The PC is brand new, no dust.

Could there be an error in the software or the temperature monitor thingy is just in a bad place or something? If it's the software, it's more than one b/c they all agree with each other.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Mar 2010   #2
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hg3300 View Post
I downloaded SpeedFan to change the speeds of my internal fans, obviously. In particular, this one fan that tends to make a lot of noise when above 50% of its peak speed.

So I'm looking at the temperatures, and I see something over 110 degrees Celsius.
Here is a list of the temps:
GPU: 40C
Temp1: 27C
Temp2: 30C
Temp3: 114C
Core: 31C

Now I did research (through other similar software) and I found out that Temp1=MB, Temp2=CPU, and Temp3=PSU.

My question to you is, how can my PSU be so hot and still run perfectly? The PC is brand new, no dust.

Could there be an error in the software or the temperature monitor thingy is just in a bad place or something? If it's the software, it's more than one b/c they all agree with each other.
Ummmm... are you sure there's even a sensor in the Power Supply? Most don't have them. That reads like an open sensor channel to me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #3
Everlong

 

CommonTater is right, and it's probably just a sensor that isn't utilised, but there's still a circuit there.

I've found speedfan to be one of the less accurate programs for reading temps too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Mar 2010   #4
hg3300

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

so what do you think that temp is? it's not a constant temp. it can vary from 99-117
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #5
smarteyeball

 
 

Since it's speedfan, it could be almost anything

I'd check your BIOS to see what temps are monitored there.

Also, put your hand behind the exhaust fan on the PSU and feel how hot the air coming out is. If there is little to no pressure, or is ridiculously hot, double check the PSU fan is actually spinning.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #6
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hg3300 View Post
I downloaded SpeedFan
Speedfan is notorious for getting the readings wrong... It will control your fans, but in most cases (no pun intended) there's no reason to do that...

Try double checking the readings with HWMonitor from CPUID...

CPUID
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #7
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Speedfan is notorious for getting the readings wrong... .
Not so much that it gets them wrong, more that Speedfan reads and reports all the sensors that the sensor chip supports whether there is a sensor attached or not; one reason Speedfan needs to be configured after install.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
It will control your fans, but in most cases (no pun intended) there's no reason to do that...
This part I can agree with. It made sense at a time when that sort of thing couldn't be controlled any other way than with a fan controller, but most of today's hardware has the ability built in in one way or another (CPU fans in bios, video cards in their respective drivers/control panels).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #8
hg3300

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hg3300 View Post
I downloaded SpeedFan
Try double checking the readings with HWMonitor from CPUID...

CPUID
nope. same temp.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #9
hg3300

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Since it's speedfan, it could be almost anything

I'd check your BIOS to see what temps are monitored there.

Also, put your hand behind the exhaust fan on the PSU and feel how hot the air coming out is. If there is little to no pressure, or is ridiculously hot, double check the PSU fan is actually spinning.
Yes, the PSU fan is spinning but there doesn't seem to be much pressure (maybe this could be due to the exhaust fan in the back). My PSU's fan is internal and blows out through the bottom. The model is RS-500-PCAR-A3. The temperature doesn't feel like 100 Celsius. It feels more like 100 Fahrenheit or something.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #10
smarteyeball

 
 

The fact that the fan is spinning and you can feel some pressure is the main thing (rules out the fan being an issue)

100F sounds more likely.

As for whatever that sensor reading is, there is nothing to indicate that PSU has any temp monitoring whatsoever.

Whatever it's supposed to be, I highly doubt it's accurate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is my PSU really this hot?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App