Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Something is making ~15GB of .TMP files every few hours

29 Apr 2010   #11
avery

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
That can also mean the temp file is not in use. Can you locate the particular temp file on your hdd (you can use windows search)?

Try locating a temp file which does not let you delete it. That file should be in use and should show up through process explorer.
They all are deletable. :/

By the way, every time I delete these files, 100s more are created within seconds.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Apr 2010   #12
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Try a couple of things:

1) Do a full scan for malware with malwarebytes antimalware. Clean whatever it wants to clean.

2) Go to MSCONFIG and disable all startup items except your antivirus. Reboot, then observe if the problem persists. If it doesnt, you'll need to re-enable the startups one by one to isolate the culprit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2010   #13
avery

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Try a couple of things:

1) Do a full scan for malware with malwarebytes antimalware. Clean whatever it wants to clean.

2) Go to MSCONFIG and disable all startup items except your antivirus. Reboot, then observe if the problem persists. If it doesnt, you'll need to re-enable the startups one by one to isolate the culprit.
I believe that the culprit is Microsoft Security Essentials.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 May 2010   #14
vpwin7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Also you should perhaps sort by time created, and acknowledge what is processing during that time. If your computer is idle and these files are still popping out the first thing I would assume is you either have a very very very faulty program, or something possibly worse. Although can't say I ever heard of a virus that just creates tmp files... If it continues while idle I would just start killing off processes until it stops, also take note if new processes appear as you kill some.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2010   #15
fseal

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Use the built int windows resource monitor. Go to the task manager (right click the task bar), on the performance tab click Resource Monitor. No go to the hard drive tab. It will show all programs that are writing to the harddrive.

If the files are being created rapidly, the culprit should go to the top of the list if you sort on file io. I believe you can see what fil is being written to as well so you can try scnning the list.

Unfortuately if the files are being wrriten VERY quickly and only occasionaly it may be hard to catch it in the act. But if it's frequent enough, you should be able to see it happening n that screen.

(ProcessExplorer is a great tool but I believe that the built in tools should be learned and exhausted before moving to using something you have to install if possible. The built in tools are always there on any computer (windows 7 computer) you run into. Knowing how to use them will save a lot of time in various random situations like this.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2010   #16
avery

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
Use the built int windows resource monitor. Go to the task manager (right click the task bar), on the performance tab click Resource Monitor. No go to the hard drive tab. It will show all programs that are writing to the harddrive.

If the files are being created rapidly, the culprit should go to the top of the list if you sort on file io. I believe you can see what fil is being written to as well so you can try scnning the list.

Unfortuately if the files are being wrriten VERY quickly and only occasionaly it may be hard to catch it in the act. But if it's frequent enough, you should be able to see it happening n that screen.

(ProcessExplorer is a great tool but I believe that the built in tools should be learned and exhausted before moving to using something you have to install if possible. The built in tools are always there on any computer (windows 7 computer) you run into. Knowing how to use them will save a lot of time in various random situations like this.)
The highest writer is "System", which is writing 300,000 bytes/sec
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2010   #17
cangaceiro

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

think I found the process responsible for this, I believe it is the C:\Program Files (x86)\TV IR\TV IR.exe

i hate it!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #18
avery

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Unfortunately, I do not have that program installed. :/ Can't find out what's causing this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #19
Fumz

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by avery View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Try a couple of things:

1) Do a full scan for malware with malwarebytes antimalware. Clean whatever it wants to clean.

2) Go to MSCONFIG and disable all startup items except your antivirus. Reboot, then observe if the problem persists. If it doesnt, you'll need to re-enable the startups one by one to isolate the culprit.
I believe that the culprit is Microsoft Security Essentials.
Have you disabled that service to see if it's the cause?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2010   #20
cangaceiro

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by avery View Post
Unfortunately, I do not have that program installed. :/ Can't find out what's causing this.
sorry, but my problem was identical to his description... good luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Something is making ~15GB of .TMP files every few hours




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Onedrive now 15GB
That's probably a good thing, but I am not convinced that I want to store my "stuff" someplace out of my control. Pro's / Con's appreciated. IF you use it why, if not why. :geek:
General Discussion
thousands of files every couple of hours .5gig found
HELLO AND THANKS FOR YOUR TIME Could someoeone tell me where thesefiles are necessary and how to stop them. Even after Sytem Ninja finds the ccleaner finds more
General Discussion
Making files appear above folders
Hi guys. Have a lame question. I want to make files appear above folders in Windows Explorer. I sort my files in this particular folder by Date, and when new files were added, they were all in the beginning of the folder. However, today suddenly the folders started appearing on top, and the...
General Discussion
Making files undeletable
Hi everyone. :) I have Windows 7 HP with 2 user accounts. 1 admin and other under the "users" group. I have a folder on the HD that I don't want the any "user" to access except admin. What I have done is set the folder attributes to hidden and system protected (attrib +s +h). Now the folder is...
General Discussion
Making installation files
Not sure where this Q should go, but since I have received so much help in the past from this website, I thought I'd ask. Before I got rid of an old comfuser I had, I copied the folders of some of the games onto a flash drive (the comfuser did not have any restore/backup disc). I copied these...
General Discussion
Help making ISO student D/L files
Hello everyone, i seem to be havin a little trouble creating an ISO with student D/L win7 pro 64 bit i followed the instructions from the link https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/30470-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l.html downloaded the OCSDIMG file and put it into my windows system32 folder ...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:52.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App