Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Empty partition ..?

13 May 2010   #1
w7101

Wds 7 32.bit Ultimate
 
 
Empty partition ..?

Hi all .
Just checked disk manag..and found my Recovery P is empty ..
I thought i made a back-up a month ago ...
Should i do a new system back-up again ...?
Thanks .




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 May 2010   #2
not so gray matter

W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
 
 

When you made the backup, where did you tell it to save?

The recovery partition that resides on most store bought and company bought pc's is for files that your computer manufacturer uses for recovery. I'm not completely certain but I believe it functions something like an internal recovery disc. It may read as empty but it is likely full.

If you're attempting to make backups, you'll need to save them to an external disc if you can. This is the best place to save them as they are safe in the event that your system is corrupted. The best backups to make are system images. These allow you to use your recovery discs (if you made them) to revert to the exact state of your hard drive when you made the system image.

System images have one draw back though, they'll usually the size of your hard disc at that moment unless you compress them (which causes recovery to take longer). This is why most people that use system images make a system image right after they've installed the basic elements and adjusted settings. This allows the user to revert to a clean disc which already has drivers, basic programs and settings installed and configured.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2010   #3
w7101

Wds 7 32.bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by notsograymatter View Post
When you made the backup, where did you tell it to save?

The recovery partition that resides on most store bought and company bought pc's is for files that your computer manufacturer uses for recovery. I'm not completely certain but I believe it functions something like an internal recovery disc. It may read as empty but it is likely full.

If you're attempting to make backups, you'll need to save them to an external disc if you can. This is the best place to save them as they are safe in the event that your system is corrupted. The best backups to make are system images. These allow you to use your recovery discs (if you made them) to revert to the exact state of your hard drive when you made the system image.

System images have one draw back though, they'll usually the size of your hard disc at that moment unless you compress them (which causes recovery to take longer). This is why most people that use system images make a system image right after they've installed the basic elements and adjusted settings. This allows the user to revert to a clean disc which already has drivers, basic programs and settings installed and configured.


So i should leave it alone ...
Follow your advice ..I just cloned the whole system to an external HDD ...
BTW ..when i try to do an image back up ...it does not give me the option to keep it within HDD ...but ask me to use cd/dvd disks ...don't know why ...?
Thanks NSGM .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 May 2010   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Your recovery partition is not empty. Unfortunately some manufacturers have this bad habit of making it a hidden partition which shows as empty. Try to assign a drive letter (in Disk Management). Then you can see it in Computer and investigate the content. But in any case, it should not be written on.

And an image to the same drive is pretty useless when the physical disk fails. Some imaging programs allow that (e.g. Macrium) and I always use that to create an additional recovery partition after a complete OS installation on my laptops. But you also have to have images on external media in case the disk fails. DVDs are not a good option though because of the size of the images. Even a relatively modest system will require at least 2 DVD-R's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2010   #5
w7101

Wds 7 32.bit Ultimate
 
 

Thank Whs .
The thing is ... I checked manufactor for upgrade from wds .."suck" vista home pre.
to wds 7 ..but they said that i my laptop can NOT be upgraded .? BOOOOOOS..
I bought wds7 with 3 licence keys anyway and did a clean install without any drivers from them ...It works great so far ....
so i doubted if there is anything in that recovery parition.
Anyway .. i 've already cloned the HDD to another internal HDD with enclosure .
if my system crashes i just replace it with a cloned one ... I'm OK right ..?
(BTW.incase if there is nothing in that R/partition ..can i delete it and how do i do it.?)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2010   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Sure, if the recovery partition is empty, you can delete it. Even if it is not empty, because you have the Win7 installation disks - unless you want to keep the option to reinstall Vista.
During the installation of Win7, the recovery partition should not have been touched and theoretically it should be intact.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2010   #7
w7101

Wds 7 32.bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Sure, if the recovery partition is empty, you can delete it. Even if it is not empty, because you have the Win7 installation disks - unless you want to keep the option to reinstall Vista.
During the installation of Win7, the recovery partition should not have been touched and theoretically it should be intact.


Oh....NOOOOOOO...NOOOOOOO
Never come back to vista .....M$ only fooled me once .....
"I got no choice when i bought my laptop with w.vista in it"
"Did alot of sesearch before i bought w7 and this is where i'm stay .."
Now i have to find out how to go about to delete that R/partition ..
Thanks for your help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2010   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
Now i have to find out how to go about to delete that R/partition
Go to Disk Management, right click on the partition - there you can delete it. Partition or Volume - Delete
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2010   #9
Bill

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

You also may want to check out a program like Paragon Partition Manager. Will help you out a lot with backing up and managing partitions.

Bill
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2010   #10
w7101

Wds 7 32.bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
Now i have to find out how to go about to delete that R/partition
Go to Disk Management, right click on the partition - there you can delete it. Partition or Volume - Delete
AS you can see ... there is NO drive letter "name" ..
I think that's why i don't have the option to delete it when i "right ckick" ..
How do i assign a drive letter for it ...?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Empty partition ..?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Is it safe to delete an almost empty partition?
I have two disk drives on my computer, Disk 0 and Disk 1 (see attached screenshot). Disk 0 has two partitions, System Reserved and E:. Disk 1 is given over to the C: drive. E: only has Recycle Bin and System Volume Information on it (see attached screenshot). I want to delete the E:...
General Discussion
Deleting an empty partition also deletes a partition with data.
I recently cloned my HDD to a new SSD and that seemed to go okay. The original HHD had 2 partitions named Miscellaneous 1 and Miscellaneous 2. I honestly do not know where those 2 partitions came from. I guess I could have created them some years ago, but I just do not remember. As you would...
Hardware & Devices
Partition Wizard shows 98% Empty partition as 100% Full
I am trying to reduce the partition of D drive on a laptop in order to increase the size of the C drive. In Win 7 Computer Management the D Drive is shown as 98% empty. I booted from the Partition Wizard CD I made and found that in PW06 the drive was shown as 100% full and was unable to reduce the...
General Discussion
What do i do with empty partition?
as you can see there are three partitions. I would like to use only one, and add the rest to the main partition that im using. what do i do? thanks
General Discussion
Can't install Ubuntu onto empty partition
Wubi : http://puu.sh/AMBf DISK MANAGEMENT: http://puu.sh/AMC7 What happens when I right click on the 30GB empty partition in Disk Management:
Installation & Setup
Empty HDD partition
Hi, I have this problem with partition. I attached screenshot which shows the problem. What should I do to remove it?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App