Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Laptop runs slow after a while

27 May 2010   #1
georgio17

windows 7
 
 
Laptop runs slow after a while

I have a Dell Studio laptop with corei3 processor 3 GB ram ATI Radeon 4570.Recently I have a problem that whenever I play games it works smooth for about 20 minutes that it works really slow it has been only 3 months that I have purchased the laptop and this problem was not happening about a month ago.If i restart the game after 5 minutes it works smoothly for about 10 minutes. Could you please help me please as i cannot play my games
I have uploaded the system resource monitor image and the readings of speed fan temperature images




Attached Thumbnails
Laptop runs slow after a while-capture.png  
Attached Images
Laptop runs slow after a while-capture-3.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 May 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by georgio17 View Post
I have a Dell Studio laptop with corei3 processor 3 GB ram ATI Radeon 4570.Recently I have a problem that whenever I play games it works smooth for about 20 minutes that it works really slow it has been only 3 months that I have purchased the laptop and this problem was not happening about a month ago.If i restart the game after 5 minutes it works smoothly for about 10 minutes. Could you please help me please as i cannot play my games
I have uploaded the system resource monitor image and the readings of speed fan temperature images
Probably a networking issue can we get some info on your network? are you using homegroup?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2010   #3
205tim

7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Due to the heat created when gaming, the system needs to cool it's self. As you are on a laptop, it may be that it will throttle processor speed before using active cooling (fans), as this is a power saving device on laptops. To check this (and change it);
Go into; power options > change plan settings (For whatever power plan you are using when experiencing this) > advanced power settings. Once here go to; processor power managment > System Cooling Policy, Change it to active, if not already.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 May 2010   #4
HMonk

Dual boot XP Pro SP3x86 and Win7 Pro x64
 
 

I am not sure heat is the problem if the temps you provided (which are cool) are taken immediately before you shut down. If not convinced, do a quick search and you will find that most agree that lappy temps in the 60s, 70s, even 80s under a load are normal. Last I knew, Intel allowed for temps of 100 for mobile CPUs with an average temp of about 70. I am not familiar with the app that displays your temps but I use the free HWMonitor which shows CPU, GPU, mobo, cores, and HDD temps as well as other stuff. Could it be GPU heat? I have my doubts.

In my experience, excess heat causes the system to shut down, not slow down - but that's my experience. Have you shut down and immediately booted - before any significant cooling could take place?

Heat issues aside, I wonder about RAM.

Monk
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2010   #5
georgio17

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by georgio17 View Post
I have a Dell Studio laptop with corei3 processor 3 GB ram ATI Radeon 4570.Recently I have a problem that whenever I play games it works smooth for about 20 minutes that it works really slow it has been only 3 months that I have purchased the laptop and this problem was not happening about a month ago.If i restart the game after 5 minutes it works smoothly for about 10 minutes. Could you please help me please as i cannot play my games
I have uploaded the system resource monitor image and the readings of speed fan temperature images
Probably a networking issue can we get some info on your network? are you using homegroup?
Can u show me how to get some information as i do not understand
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2010   #6
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Why not using a Prog like "Throttle Stop"...Launch it just before you play a game...i'm searching for the prog link.

here:http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...rottleStop.zip (included the instruction manual .html).Thanks to unclewebb.

Here a screenshot:


Attached Images
Laptop runs slow after a while-throttlestop.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2010   #7
georgio17

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HMonk View Post
I am not sure heat is the problem if the temps you provided (which are cool) are taken immediately before you shut down. If not convinced, do a quick search and you will find that most agree that lappy temps in the 60s, 70s, even 80s under a load are normal. Last I knew, Intel allowed for temps of 100 for mobile CPUs with an average temp of about 70. I am not familiar with the app that displays your temps but I use the free HWMonitor which shows CPU, GPU, mobo, cores, and HDD temps as well as other stuff. Could it be GPU heat? I have my doubts.

In my experience, excess heat causes the system to shut down, not slow down - but that's my experience. Have you shut down and immediately booted - before any significant cooling could take place?

Heat issues aside, I wonder about RAM.

Monk

I have tried running HWMonitor without playing games and the following is shown as below, i do not think it is showing the GPU temperature and thats reminds me that my ATI catalyst control center is not opening
and also i have installed Riva tuner and tweaking options do not appear of the grapic card as shown below


Attached Images
Laptop runs slow after a while-capture-4.png Laptop runs slow after a while-capture-5.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2010   #8
HMonk

Dual boot XP Pro SP3x86 and Win7 Pro x64
 
 

First off, at least by my standards/expectations, your lappy is cool. Hopefully others will pipe in with their experiences about lappy temps.

Secondly, according to RivaTuner lappy gfx is not supported: "Note: RivaTuner doesn't declare official support for mobile graphics processors and multi-GPU SLI and Crossfire configurations. Proper functionality on such systems is not guaranteed, use RivaTuner at your own risk."

While I am familiar with RivaTuner, I do not have a working knowledge of it so there is not much I can offer other than to suggest you see what users say about such use; maybe someone here can guide you on that.

Finally,
ATi's CCC often fails after driver upgrades; why, who knows but it is a recognized issue. The general approach is to uninstall/reinstall with or without driver uninstall/reinstall. You may have to experiment around.

What I would suggest is to first, uninstall your gfx driver. Why? Many issues are created when you upgrade a driver by overwriting the existing drivers. ATi points out that legacy drivers should always be uninstalled before an upgrade; legacy or not, I always uninstall ANY gfx drivers before an upgrade.

Next uninstall CCC. First go to Revo Uninstaller and read about and DL the free version. (Once installed, you can forget about Windows uninstaller). Launch Revo and uninstall CCC. The first uninstall screen that pops up gives you four uninstall levels. I always choose the most advanced and have never had a problem. Then Revo launches the app's built-in uninstaller; when that is finished, Revo takes over. However, many apps direct you to reboot after they are finished uninstalling and you will get a dialog asking if you want to do so: DO NOT REBOOT. If you reboot at this time, you kill Revo before it starts to do its thing. Simply close the reboot dialog and click next on Revo's screen; now Revo starts. First it scans the reg for leftovers; when you are presented the list of leftovers, click the <SELECT ALL> button and <DELETE>; a dialog asks you if you are sure: <YES>. then click next and Revo searches the root directory for any remaining app subdirectories (e.g., some apps even though deleted will leave a config file/subdirectory). Once competed, same thing: select and delete all. I have been using Revo since early 2008 and have never had an issue as a consequence of deleting everything it finds (the worry is deleting shared files). At times, when Revo is finished, it may tell you it could not delete various subdirectories - which will be done on a reboot. Now you reboot. As you reboot, if Windows gives you a found new hardware screen, close it. You are now running a generic gfx driver.

Next, ALWAYS follow your lappy's mfr (Dell in your case) to see if gfx drivers have been updated - rather than going to ATi. Why? Lappy mfrs are prone to tweak everything they put in their machines. If Dell directs you to ATi for a driver: great. Whatever the case, DL and install the latest driver. Reboot.

Now go to Dell and see if they have a version of CCC; my guess would be no. If not go to ATi and DL the latest version of CCC and install it. Reboot.

Results: does CCC now launch; how's the speed?

Monk



My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2010   #9
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HMonk View Post
First off, at least by my standards/expectations, your lappy is cool. Hopefully others will pipe in with their experiences about lappy temps.

Secondly, according to RivaTuner lappy gfx is not supported: "Note: RivaTuner doesn't declare official support for mobile graphics processors and multi-GPU SLI and Crossfire configurations. Proper functionality on such systems is not guaranteed, use RivaTuner at your own risk."

While I am familiar with RivaTuner, I do not have a working knowledge of it so there is not much I can offer other than to suggest you see what users say about such use; maybe someone here can guide you on that.

Finally,
ATi's CCC often fails after driver upgrades; why, who knows but it is a recognized issue. The general approach is to uninstall/reinstall with or without driver uninstall/reinstall. You may have to experiment around.

What I would suggest is to first, uninstall your gfx driver. Why? Many issues are created when you upgrade a driver by overwriting the existing drivers. ATi points out that legacy drivers should always be uninstalled before an upgrade; legacy or not, I always uninstall ANY gfx drivers before an upgrade.

Next uninstall CCC. First go to Revo Uninstaller and read about and DL the free version. (Once installed, you can forget about Windows uninstaller). Launch Revo and uninstall CCC. The first uninstall screen that pops up gives you four uninstall levels. I always choose the most advanced and have never had a problem. Then Revo launches the app's built-in uninstaller; when that is finished, Revo takes over. However, many apps direct you to reboot after they are finished uninstalling and you will get a dialog asking if you want to do so: DO NOT REBOOT. If you reboot at this time, you kill Revo before it starts to do its thing. Simply close the reboot dialog and click next on Revo's screen; now Revo starts. First it scans the reg for leftovers; when you are presented the list of leftovers, click the <SELECT ALL> button and <DELETE>; a dialog asks you if you are sure: <YES>. then click next and Revo searches the root directory for any remaining app subdirectories (e.g., some apps even though deleted will leave a config file/subdirectory). Once competed, same thing: select and delete all. I have been using Revo since early 2008 and have never had an issue as a consequence of deleting everything it finds (the worry is deleting shared files). At times, when Revo is finished, it may tell you it could not delete various subdirectories - which will be done on a reboot. Now you reboot. As you reboot, if Windows gives you a found new hardware screen, close it. You are now running a generic gfx driver.

Next, ALWAYS follow your lappy's mfr (Dell in your case) to see if gfx drivers have been updated - rather than going to ATi. Why? Lappy mfrs are prone to tweak everything they put in their machines. If Dell directs you to ATi for a driver: great. Whatever the case, DL and install the latest driver. Reboot.

Now go to Dell and see if they have a version of CCC; my guess would be no. If not go to ATi and DL the latest version of CCC and install it. Reboot.

Results: does CCC now launch; how's the speed?

Monk


In that case (red lines) backup the shared folder and replace the files if they do miss..

I have updated 2 days ago my Ati Card and in the shared folder (Common Files) "PX Storage" folder went empty...Lucky when right clicked on the folder i could restore it to a previous state, and all the missing files came up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2010   #10
fseal

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Those initial CPU temps you show with speed fan are extremely high for an i3... I believe that 60C is MAX safe operating temp for the cpu. My i5 playing a couple of 3d games only gets to about 28C or so.

I second the thought that you may be clock throttled due to poor cooling, try the others suggestions in getting your fans up to speed, they should be howling at those temps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Laptop runs slow after a while




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
PC runs slow for one website
Got a strange one here. I am trying to load a website, The SAA - Society For All Artists, I use almost daily, on my PC, but for the last 4 days, it's taking over 2 mins to load and when ir does open, it opens with just text. Neither can I open links from the menu. I do not have any problems with...
Performance & Maintenance
hp laptop runs slow after w7 ultimate install
installed win7 ultimate....it runs real slow!!! went to device manager does not show any problems...the unit is a HP dv5115nr laptop...went to hp and the on os they have is vista or xp ...they did not have anything else. when I click on a .jpg it takes a long time for it to come up. I am sure it is...
Performance & Maintenance
Win XP Mode runs slow
Hi Guys, I have a sony vaio laptop with the following config: OS: Win 7 Pro Ram: 6 GB HDD: 650 GB Processor: i7-2640M @ 2.8 GHZ I have installed Windows XP using Microsoft Virtual PC. I run three programs in XP Mode and a couple of programs in Windows 7. I have allotted 1.5 GB ram to...
Virtualization
Windows boots very slow and runs slow after booting
Hello 7forums. I have a problem with my Windows 7 Professional (32bit). I'll try to explain everything in detail. Yesterday I was using uTorrent to download some files (24 gigabytes +). It was downloading at a speed of ~7-8 Mb/s. During the download I noticed that the PC was running pretty...
Performance & Maintenance
Internet really slow on one laptop, runs fine on another
Hello everyone, I just got a new broadband line installed at home today. The thing is, at home we have two laptops (one is a Samsung 5 Series Ultra with Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and the other one is a MacBook) and an iPad. Both the MacBook and the iPad don't have any issues when connecting...
Network & Sharing
Computer runs really slow in normal mode, but runs fine in safe mode
I recently re-formatted my Sony VAIO since it was starting to run super slow. Now that I re-installed Windows 7 on it through recovery disks, it worked fined for about a day but then the problem came back. The computer is slow at bootup and runs super slow while freezing so many times. I am running...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App