Solid state drives. Worth it?


  1. Posts : 70
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64
       #1

    Solid state drives. Worth it?


    I'm thinking of using a ssd for my windows 7 build early next year. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on them. Ocz do some good value drives but I've heard their write speeds are painfully slow
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 3,141
    Vista Ult 64 bit Seven Ult RTM x64
       #2

    I'm thinking I'll give them a year or so to come down in price and work out any bugs they might have. I'd want at least a 64 GB one for the OS. I don't mind testing software, but I'm not to keen on testing hardware I have to pay good $$ for. Now if someone wanted to give/loan me one, I'm ready. LOL.

    Gary
      My Computer

  3.    #3

    I also need to test one of these out. They are a lot of money, but all good parts are. I am not happy with my current hard drive keeping me to a 6.0 WEI with my new i7 965EE!
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3,141
    Vista Ult 64 bit Seven Ult RTM x64
       #4

    Hello Diamond,

    Welcome to the forums.

    I'd like to have one or two of the SSD's, but I'm thinking I'll get more out of a faster graphics card and Seven x64 with 4 more gigs of Ram when it comes out.

    Gary
      My Computer

  5.    #5

    Hi Gary, thanks for the welcome.

    Yeah, I just want one of the nice SSD for my OS and main programs. Data can stay on this drive. Without counting my disk transfer score, I would have a WEI of 6.9 I do believe (for some reason that is all my CPU gets even though it is the fastest on the planet right now).
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 14
    Windows 7 x64, Build 7000
       #6

    OCZ has a great deal on these things with a factory rebate. I've been running Win 7 off of a 64GB for a couple of weeks now.

    It is not the miracle I was told it would be (always beware the it's too good to be true stories). However, MS Office 2007 flies off the drive. It opens fast. I do notice apps loading much quicker. And if you're ever looking for some cheap thrills, defrag one. It's almost humorously fast.

    I would say at $100 (about what I paid) it is worth it. This compares to a 80GB Seagate I just bought for about $40.

    At $650 or so, brand X, no.

    See my related post: 6801 Ready for Prime Time?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #7

    Johnnylane said:
    OCZ has a great deal on these things with a factory rebate. I've been running Win 7 off of a 64GB for a couple of weeks now.

    It is not the miracle I was told it would be (always beware the it's too good to be true stories). However, MS Office 2007 flies off the drive. It opens fast. I do notice apps loading much quicker. And if you're ever looking for some cheap thrills, defrag one. It's almost humorously fast.

    I would say at $100 (about what I paid) it is worth it. This compares to a 80GB Seagate I just bought for about $40.

    At $650 or so, brand X, no.

    See my related post: 6801 Ready for Prime Time?
    thanks for bring this to my attention...lol
    as i have a laptop and a external HD i can really benifit from this....
    and just as a rule of thumb limit your defrags...
    this can reduce the lifespan of your SSD
    also automatic defrag should be disabled (my opinion )
    just my thought but thk for bring this to my attention
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 12,364
    8 Pro x64
       #8

    DiamondNRG said:
    for some reason that is all my CPU gets even though it is the fastest on the planet right now).
    Proud of your new chip are you? Can't see why.... :)
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #9

    DiamondNRG said:
    Hi Gary, thanks for the welcome.

    Yeah, I just want one of the nice SSD for my OS and main programs. Data can stay on this drive. Without counting my disk transfer score, I would have a WEI of 6.9 I do believe (for some reason that is all my CPU gets even though it is the fastest on the planet right now).
    i believe the CPU is next slower component on your machine
    weird i guess it has to do on how the archictecture of i7....

    but if you want to run the "fastest" machine
    buy two or three SSD's
    and hook them up in RAID....
    THAT WOULD BE INCREDIBLE...
    Last edited by darkassain; 11 Dec 2008 at 22:54. Reason: opps saw your wei... changed it sorry...
      My Computer

  10.    #10

    smarteyeball said:
    Proud of your new chip are you? Can't see why.... :)
    Meh... maybe? :)

    darkassain said:
    i believe the ram is next slower component on your machine

    but if you want to run the "fastest" machine
    buy two or three SSD's
    and hook them up in RAID....
    THAT WOULD BE INCREDIBLE...
    Nah, my CPU is a 6.9 ... ram is a full maxed 7.9, graphics is maxed at 7.9 as well, gaming only got a 7.2 but considering I never game... thats ok.

    But yeah, I'll deal with getting SSD as soon as its not so expensive, that way I can grab a second 28" LCD and another HD 4870 to throw them into crossfire ... and maybe trade my 6GB of ram in for 12 or something crazy like that, haha.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41.
Find Us