Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: CleanMem, the only memory optimizer that really works !

06 Jul 2010   #11
Taliseian

Win 7 SP1
 
 

Doh!

That's what I get for posting before coffee..... =)

Thanks Thorsen


T


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Jul 2010   #12
Microhard

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Almost all memory optimizers are bad, don't use it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #13
hackerman1

W7-Enterprise + WS-2008 (Converted to Workstation)
 
 

Microhard:

have you, read my first post ?

"...all those RAM-optimizers are just BS.
they delete the Prefetch-cache from memory which although gives you more memory, doesn´t improve the performance at all.

on the contrary, since they delete the "Prefetch-cache", you actually lose performance....

the only program that really does something useful is CleanMem"

so why not use CleanMem ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jul 2010   #14
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
Microhard:

have you, read my first post ?

"...all those RAM-optimizers are just BS.
they delete the Prefetch-cache from memory which although gives you more memory, doesn´t improve the performance at all.

on the contrary, since they delete the "Prefetch-cache", you actually lose performance....

the only program that really does something useful is CleanMem"

so why not use CleanMem ?
Hack you covered all bases with your first post but I'm afraid people see this as the old CacheMan app that wasn't worth doodly. I've found it(CleanMem) to be an excellent mem tool. About this:
Quote:
the only program that really does something useful is CleanMem
Windows itself will do the same thing from time to time. With CleanMem you can schedule task it to do it more frequently or as some do, manually whenever you want.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #15
fseal

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Windows itself will do the same thing from time to time. With CleanMem you can schedule task it to do it more frequently or as some do, manually whenever you want.
Well that's just it. Windows DOES do this, and it specifically does it if your running out of ram.

So... I really don't see much benefit from forcing it at regular intervals. It could actaually get in the way of realtime applications like gaming. By forcing a memory flush it could halt the game during the flush. This could in turn hurt the game later when it tries to realloc memory which it could have gotten back from it's working set but now has to be gotten from the main heap and brought into the working set.

Really... no.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #16
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

+1 .... I installed this just to try it out, and it works like a charm! Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #17
Thorsen

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
Microhard:

have you, read my first post ?

"...all those RAM-optimizers are just BS.
they delete the Prefetch-cache from memory which although gives you more memory, doesn´t improve the performance at all.

on the contrary, since they delete the "Prefetch-cache", you actually lose performance....

the only program that really does something useful is CleanMem"

so why not use CleanMem ?
Hack you covered all bases with your first post but I'm afraid people see this as the old CacheMan app that wasn't worth doodly. I've found it(CleanMem) to be an excellent mem tool. About this:
Quote:
the only program that really does something useful is CleanMem
Windows itself will do the same thing from time to time. With CleanMem you can schedule task it to do it more frequently or as some do, manually whenever you want.
I am sorry for not clarifying in my post, I am neither for or against this program as I have not used it, I was only trying to clear up the info about the swapfile (I hope I was correct )

I am on the fence on this one. I understand that Win7 does the same thing (as you state), just that it only does it when it is needed. (Edit: or periodically)

Example of good use:
So, lets say you just used Photoshop or some huge video editing program, you would want this RAM back and windows wont de-allocate it until its needed. Then this program would be good to prompt the system to clear all the unused RAM.

Example of bad use:
If on the other hand, you are using small programs over and over again, then clearing out the unused memory could actually slow you down as it will all need to be reloaded into RAM.

^^^^ Im pretty sure these examples are correct, let me know if I am misunderstanding anything about this subject.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #18
Zoloft

Win7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Thanks for the info, and the healthy debate. Installed rebooted and scheduled. If this lil puppy can keep firefox in cheque, as it shows in the video demo, it's all I could ever ask for.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #19
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
+1 .... I installed this just to try it out, and it works like a charm! Thanks
One thing to keep in mind with this on Win 7. I had used it on XP for some time and the results were dramtic to say the least. I began using it with Win 7 and the results were not as dramatic. On a hunch, I decided to right click the CleanMem.exe > Properties > Compatibilty Tab and check mark at the bottom "Run this program as an administrator". This return it to the results I was getting in XP
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #20
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Windows itself will do the same thing from time to time. With CleanMem you can schedule task it to do it more frequently or as some do, manually whenever you want.
Well that's just it. Windows DOES do this, and it specifically does it if your running out of ram.

So... I really don't see much benefit from forcing it at regular intervals. It could actaually get in the way of realtime applications like gaming. By forcing a memory flush it could halt the game during the flush. This could in turn hurt the game later when it tries to realloc memory which it could have gotten back from it's working set but now has to be gotten from the main heap and brought into the working set.

Really... no.
That's why I do it manually when I want to. Usually once a day is enough for me. About gaming, run it prior to your Game.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 CleanMem, the only memory optimizer that really works !




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Optimizer Pro folder
I have a folder called Optimizer Pro but when I looked in All Programs I did not find an Optimizer Pro program; neither when I looked in Control Panel > Programs and Features, nor in Revo Uninstaller. I renamed the folder 222Optimizer333Pro and restarted the machine. It restarted as always without...
Software
What is a good, free "system optimizer" that noticeably works?
Hi I used to have Advanced System Care, but their latest free version removed some features. I am wondering if there are any similar programs for free that can optimize my system in a way that is actually noticeable (fast boot time, snappier response, etc.) I am running Windows 7 64 bit on a...
Software
Lookin for a good memory recoverer and optimizer
Can anybody recommend a good memory recovery program? I realize that memory recovery can be a good thing, especially after using a program or programs with memory leaks. However, Ive always noticed that mem recover progs seem to leave the system either laggy or unstable, and almost never seem to...
Performance & Maintenance
New memory works great in memtest/linux, crashes windows 7
Hello, I have Windows 7 Professional 64bit. I got a new stick of 4GB DDR3 1333 memory. Whether I use it by itself or with another stick, the computer blue screens with random errors instantly when trying to boot Windows 7. A 2GB stick of the same speed from the same manufacturer works great in...
BSOD Help and Support
Best Windows Optimizer?
What is the best Windows Optimizer, like defragger and registry cleaner into one program.
Software
Memory Optimizer
Guys i've got serious problem with the memory (it's only 512 MB) and i know i should go and buy some more but meanwhile can i use some tool (momory optimizer) to prevent my PC form freezing or at least to make it little more smoothly? My firefox is lunching 120 000 K with two tabs and one flash...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:39.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App