Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Registry Cleaner

13 Sep 2010   #31
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post

I pretty much agree with Vertex and his approach is on the money. The point with which I partially disagree is this:

"I say you do need them but stay away if you don't know where the keys found lead to."

Except in very rare instances, registry cleaners are not needed for Win 7. Removing dead keys will not make one millisecond's difference in Win 7's operating speed. It does not hurt anything to remove dead keys; but there are no gains. Win 7 manages the registry much differently than did XP. Those who are applying XP knowledge to Win 7's registry will come to grief sooner or later.

Win 7 includes some keys, notably the unused extension keys, that make installation of new programs easier and file associations more accurate. It has other keys that may not be used now; but down the road will be needed. You can easily shoot yourself in the foot by blindly following a registry cleaner - and you will end up posting in the Crashes and Debugging section where the recommendation will be a clean install. It has happened and still happens. If you limit yourself to deleting keys that are associated with software you know you have uninstalled, you will be safe. If you never touch the registry, Win 7 will run just fine.

I know you die-hard registry cleaners advocates will not heed this and you will learn the hard way - like I did. I then did the research I should have done before hand and learned.
I still see that as a one-sided opinion on registry cleaners.

I did say that if you have 1 GB or RAM or below, you will notice performance loss overtime and that the other tweaking things will do little to fix.

Registry cleaners did help me across the things I saw crashing because I have made mistakes with registry cleaners before and that has taught me how to use them more briefly but for others that are inexperienced, its not advisable, however useful occasionally with the help of someone more experienced.

It can also help you remove invalid startup entries that are still causing delays in the startup or remove entries left over by malware that are still causing a few things to go bad.

However, like what I always say, use a backup.

I keep reading things like Windows 7 manages the Registry in a different way than Windows XP, but in what way is that really??? I have not read of any official statement from Microsoft themselves saying that the registry of Windows 7 is designed in a different way than that of XP or other predecessors. If there is, can someone direct me there????

However, the Registry is the single most core component of Windows operating systems I want them to redesign so we don't have problems like this and that about the registry and also to make security better.
It may be one sided; but it is my opinion based on personal experience working with BSOD's and reading what noted Windows system experts, both MS experts and independent experts have to say. These folks are unanimous regarding Win 7 and registry cleaners.

If you think about it, MS does not release the source code of Win 7 to third parties. Therefore, the creators of registry cleaners are guessing at how Win 7 manages the registry and what keys are valid and what keys are invalid. Also keep in mind that Win7 manages the registry very differently than does XP or even Vista. Certainly, some of the invalid selections are intuitive such as keys relating to uninstalled software. On the other hand, some keys registry cleaners select as not being used are actually tied to other keys that are needed. Deleting these keys can corrupt the registry.

In short, registry cleaners are simply making a best guess. I don't trust my system to the best guesses of third party software. I do use registry cleaners on my XP system - with care and backups. Here are some links you might like to read:

Are registry cleaners necessary?

Back up the registry

Why I donít use registry cleaners


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Sep 2010   #32
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

[QUOTE=Maxxwire;955495]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
I keep reading things like Windows 7 manages the Registry in a different way than Windows XP, but in what way is that really??? I have not read of any official statement from Microsoft themselves saying that the registry of Windows 7 is designed in a different way than that of XP or other predecessors. If there is, can someone direct me there????
I've often wondered the same thing. One thing is for sure and that is that Win 7 does not remove entries when a program is uninstalled. When I uninstalled Norton Security which HP preinstalled on my computer it left over 1,400 registry keys behind. I don't know why it is advisable to leave these abandon registry keys in place or how WIN 7 somehow 'manages' them other than just to leave them there bloating the registry.

~Maxx~
.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post

I've often wondered the same thing. One thing is for sure and that is that Win 7 does not remove entries when a program is uninstalled. When I uninstalled Norton Security which HP preinstalled on my computer it left over 1,400 registry keys behind. I don't know why it is advisable to leave these abandon registry keys in place or how WIN 7 somehow 'manages' them other than just to leave them there bloating the registry.

~Maxx~
.

Revo is a good idea I think, as it only deletes Reg. keys the App being uninstalled leaves behind.

Also, CCleaners isn't too bad. If you only check the keys, you know for a fact no longer exist.

The main reason I (and many others) say Registry Cleaners are bad, is that many 3rd party ones delete many keys they shouldn't.
Overall its mostly guess work on the Registry Cleaners Part.
And guess work isn't a good idea when it doesn't know whats safe to delete and what isnt.


But I honestly believe, even though some keys may get left behind, it doesnt really hurt the overall performance of the system.

My thoughts on it for what its worth
I agree with both of you on this approach. No, Windows 7 (nor any other Windows OS) does not remove keys left behind by uninstalled programs. I do use the Ccleaner to remove these entries - and only these entries. Does it make a difference in the performance of Win 7? I doubt that one could measure any difference even after a year.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Apparently, Microsoft does believe in registry cleaners. Their Windows Live OneCare safety scanner for Vista and Windows 7 includes a free registry cleaner. At the home page click on "About the Windows Vista and Windows 7 edition of the scanner." Another dialog box will pop up with the sub-title "What is the Windows registry? Why should I clean it?"

What's new - Windows Live OneCare safety scanner for Windows Vista and Windows 7#
The key is Microsoft. Microsoft designed Win 7. They should know how to clean the registry safely. I have no qualms about using OneCare.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #33
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Apparently, Microsoft does believe in registry cleaners. Their Windows Live OneCare safety scanner for Vista and Windows 7 includes a free registry cleaner. At the home page click on "About the Windows Vista and Windows 7 edition of the scanner." Another dialog box will pop up with the sub-title "What is the Windows registry? Why should I clean it?"

What's new - Windows Live OneCare safety scanner for Windows Vista and Windows 7#
The key is Microsoft. Microsoft designed Win 7. They should know how to clean the registry safely. I have no qualms about using OneCare.
Many people believe registry cleaners are "evil" and should be avoided at all costs. Since no one else brought up the fact that Microsoft has its own registry cleaner, I thought I'd put it out there. I wanted to let people know that if they really want to use a registry cleaner, and if they have any concerns about 3rd party cleaners, there is an alternative. I wasn't trying to be confrontational and if I came across that way I apologize.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Sep 2010   #34
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
I wasn't trying to be confrontational and if I came across that way I apologize.
No need to apologize. I seriously doubt anyone would object to debating your opinion or thoughts. Whether you agree or disagree.


Being flat out rude is another story, but that isn't the case

My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #35
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

As far as I know Microsoft does not release there source code to any 3rd party. Like CarlTR6 posted, there is a guess factor that I don't want to use on my computer...
marsmimar I have no problem with your post. Your opinion is welcomed by me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #36
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Apparently, Microsoft does believe in registry cleaners. Their Windows Live OneCare safety scanner for Vista and Windows 7 includes a free registry cleaner. At the home page click on "About the Windows Vista and Windows 7 edition of the scanner." Another dialog box will pop up with the sub-title "What is the Windows registry? Why should I clean it?"

What's new - Windows Live OneCare safety scanner for Windows Vista and Windows 7#
The key is Microsoft. Microsoft designed Win 7. They should know how to clean the registry safely. I have no qualms about using OneCare.
Many people believe registry cleaners are "evil" and should be avoided at all costs. Since no one else brought up the fact that Microsoft has its own registry cleaner, I thought I'd put it out there. I wanted to let people know that if they really want to use a registry cleaner, and if they have any concerns about 3rd party cleaners, there is an alternative. I wasn't trying to be confrontational and if I came across that way I apologize.
I did not take it as being confrontational. I took it as adding information that had not been discussed. It is a very good point and I was trying add my agreement with your very valid point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #37
Vertex

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9 Gnome 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post

Also keep in mind that Win7 manages the registry very differently than does XP or even Vista.
Yes, I do agree that developers of third party registry cleaners do a lot of guess work but what I am really curious right now is in what way really does Windows 7 manage the registry differently from Windows XP or Vista???? I have read that many many times in this forum on the threads about registry cleaners. But the questing is how???

I have not read any statements from Microsoft about this. So can someone please direct me to a statement on this. The only statement from Microsoft is something like "the Registry is self-sufficient" which is on the Windows 7 Help section about reg cleaners but beyond that, I haven't found any leads.

One thing is for certain though, Windows 7 does not tidy its registry by itself and and they did say, you can install registry cleaners from publishers you trust so I guess its a personal preference and obligation.

I do want to make a stand on Microsoft's future operating systems to have real self-healing and self sufficient registries so we won't have these troubles with registry cleaners anymore. Who's with me on that???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #38
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

What's new - Windows Live OneCare safety scanner for Windows Vista and Windows 7

Looks like they are suggesting not to use their own cleaner on Win7.
Post #98
This from the person on the forum telling everyone how to use the software.

Message boards

I'm deleting my Ccleaner off my Win7. I don't even want to use it by accident.

Mike
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #39
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post

Also keep in mind that Win7 manages the registry very differently than does XP or even Vista.
Yes, I do agree that developers of third party registry cleaners do a lot of guess work but what I am really curious right now is in what way really does Windows 7 manage the registry differently from Windows XP or Vista???? I have read that many many times in this forum on the threads about registry cleaners. But the questing is how???

I have not read any statements from Microsoft about this. So can someone please direct me to a statement on this. The only statement from Microsoft is something like "the Registry is self-sufficient" which is on the Windows 7 Help section about reg cleaners but beyond that, I haven't found any leads.

One thing is for certain though, Windows 7 does not tidy its registry by itself and and they did say, you can install registry cleaners from publishers you trust so I guess its a personal preference and obligation.

I do want to make a stand on Microsoft's future operating systems to have real self-healing and self sufficient registries so we won't have these troubles with registry cleaners anymore. Who's with me on that???
From what I have read in several really good books (manuals) on Win 7, it has to do with the way the system uses the registry. To simply a bunch I don't really understand, Win 7 skips over excess, unused, and unneeded keys without bogging down such as XP does. I am just in the beginning stages of learning the Win 7 registry. Read those links I posted above and you will gain some insight. That was my starting point.

I do use Windows online cleaner every now and then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #40
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
What's new - Windows Live OneCare safety scanner for Windows Vista and Windows 7

Looks like they are suggesting not to use their own cleaner on Win7.
Post #98
This from the person on the forum telling everyone how to use the software.

Message boards

I'm deleting my Ccleaner off my Win7. I don't even want to use it by accident.

Mike
Ccleaner is perfectly safe for deleting junk from your drives. Its registry cleaner is very conservative. I use Ccleaner routinely; but I don't use the registry cleaner except to get rid of keys that I know are related to uninstalled programs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Registry Cleaner




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Registry Pro Cleaner
Got it cannot get rid of it. Wants to be paid. Any help appreciated. Ran Super Anti Spyware,Malewarebytes,CC Cleaner and it is still here. Actually on my wifes side . Any help appreciated.
Software
Should I use a Registry Cleaner?
Running Windows 7 32-bit operating system on Gateway GT5622 desktop computer. Event Viewer reports errors 7026, 7003, and 7001. The description for these errors is misconfigured system files. Should I use a system cleaner to correct these errors? :confused:
Performance & Maintenance
Any help with CC registry cleaner?
Have Win-7 Ultimate. When I run CCleaner I get this readout: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/wsp617/registrycleaner_zps111645a4.jpg When told to clean all the registry it says it has cleaned it. But when C Cleaner is run again the exact readout is repeated. Obviously not cleaning it...
Performance & Maintenance
Registry cleaner
I add and remove programs frequently and think I would like to use a registry cleaner to clean out the pieces. Are any safe to use? Thanks.
Performance & Maintenance
Registry Cleaner
Hopefully I am in the right Forum, if not let me know and I will try elsewhere.
Performance & Maintenance
I used a Registry Cleaner
I'm running Win 7 64 bit. I researched and then purchased Ace Utilities, which Cnet gave 5 stars to. I used it, and also used it's Registry Cleaner. I don't notice that the cleaner did any harm. What do you think of Ace Utilities' Registry Cleaner, or Registry Cleaners in general for Win 7?...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App