Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Registry Cleaner

02 Oct 2010   #61
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709
 
 

I completely agree with Capt Jack. That being said. Microsoft doesn't offer a registry cleaner and recommends not to use them. There are some people that have the knowledge to use Windows built ins to do these kinds of things but most of us don't. IMHO using 3rd party programs to do registry cleaning/tuning will get you and your computer in a world of dodo sooner or later. Its happened to many of us and that is the reason we keep giving warnings.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Oct 2010   #62
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

MS does have an online registry cleaner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2010   #63
Edward 066

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit / Ubuntu 11.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Capt.Jack Sparrow View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Edward 066 View Post
On windows XP I had 5 registry cleaners and never had any problems using them but I always ruined the OS when manually deleted registry keys, now on WIN 7 I have 3 cleaners , Winaso, Windows 7 manager and Auslogics bootspeed and no problems yet
Well make sure you have a backup and restore point before you do it. I have mentioned in this thread as well as other threads. You System performace won't imporve by use these junks. Please stay away from it. Just clean the temp files, History etc. is more that enough. Most of the experts from Microsoft who build the OS says the same. Then it's up to you.

Hope this helps,
Captain
Thank you Captain for the info! I did a reformat and installed windows 7 again this morning, so now I'll try not to use reg cleaners and be on the safe side
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Oct 2010   #64
Capt.Jack Sparrow

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Edward 066 View Post

Thank you Captain for the info! I did a reformat and installed windows 7 again this morning, so now I'll try not to use reg cleaners and be on the safe side
Glad you took the rite decision !

Good luck,
Captain
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2010   #65
Maxxwire

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
IMHO using 3rd party programs to do registry cleaning/tuning will get you and your computer in a world of dodo sooner or later. Its happened to many of us and that is the reason we keep giving warnings.
I've been using a number of different Registry Cleaners both on my Vista and Win 7 computers without any negative side effects as is the case with many other users.

For example after I removed the pre-installed Norton software I could not see the wisdom in letting 700+ leftover registry keys and values in Vista and 1,400+ leftover registry keys and values in Win 7 remain in the Registry for years after the unused software had been uninstalled any more than I could keeping hundreds of Norton's leftover files on the HDD in perpetuity.

~Maxx~
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2010   #66
Capt.Jack Sparrow

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

If you use their uninstaller (Not the add or remove Programs one the one you can download from their website) or programs such as Revo uninstaller it would remove those left over keys. Most of the Registry cleaner claim they found 1000+ problems are just scarewares it's a risk we take to use them. When many experts who Guru's in this area recommend not to use them i would listen to them. And I know this debate can go on and on since just like "which best Antivirus software" or best software they will be personal opinions. Some users used for a long time and never had any problems. Some of them had issues. Well atleast create a restore point make a backup of your System before attempting so in case something goes wrong you can always restore it back.

Prevention is better an cure
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2010   #67
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post

I've been using a number of different Registry Cleaners both on my Vista and Win 7 computers without any negative side effects as is the case with many other users.

For example after I removed the pre-installed Norton software I could not see the wisdom in letting 700+ leftover registry keys and values in Vista and 1,400+ leftover registry keys and values in Win 7 remain in the Registry for years after the unused software had been uninstalled any more than I could keeping hundreds of Norton's leftover files on the HDD in perpetuity.

~Maxx~
.
I too have done the same as you on both Vista & Win 7 re Norton removal WITHOUT the aid of a registry cleaner.

The generic advice [below] we often give is because many are not experienced in this area as you apparently are.



Quote:

Modifying registry keys incorrectly can cause Windows instability, or make Windows unbootable.

No registry cleaner is completely safe and the potential is ever present to cause more problems than they claim to fix.


THEREFORE


If you do not have knowledge of the registry, then you would probably be better off leaving it alone, and definitely not placing blind trust in a program to do the job for you.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2010   #68
Maxxwire

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Capt.Jack Sparrow View Post
If you use their uninstaller (Not the add or remove Programs one the one you can download from their website) or programs such as Revo uninstaller it would remove those left over keys.
Prevention is better an cure
Personally I wouldn't trust Norton to remove all registry keys, values and files because even after using Revo I came across Norton folders in several obscure places on my computers. I agree that prevention is the best cure and I have 3 backup drives with Win 7 System Images of different varieties and at least 1/2 dozen Macrium Reflect Images to use in case I need to completely restore either of the computers in less than 5 minutes.

~Maxx~
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2010   #69
Maxxwire

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JMH View Post
I too have done the same as you on both Vista & Win 7 re Norton removal WITHOUT the aid of a registry cleaner.
It was quite a feat for you to spend hours manually removing the over 1,400 registry keys and values that Norton leaves in the Win 7 Registry very carefully one by one and that is a true testament to how important you must deem the removal of these remnants from the Registry. As for myself I just let the Revo Uninstaller Pro x64 do the same job of cleaning the Registry of the Norton leftovers in a few seconds although I share the same strong conviction that these unneeded items must not be left in the Win 7 Registry.

~Maxx~
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2010   #70
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JMH View Post
I too have done the same as you on both Vista & Win 7 re Norton removal WITHOUT the aid of a registry cleaner.
It was quite a feat for you to spend hours manually removing the over 1,400 registry keys and values that Norton leaves in the Win 7 Registry very carefully one by one and that is a true testament to how important you must deem the removal of these remnants from the Registry. As for myself I just let the Revo Uninstaller Pro x64 do the same job of cleaning the Registry of the Norton leftovers in a few seconds although I share the same strong conviction that these unneeded items must not be left in the Win 7 Registry.

~Maxx~
.
You are safe in doing that. As long as one knows the keys he or she is deleting belong to an uninstalled program, it is safe to remove them. I do that with Revo and Cleaner. If you are not sure about a key, leave it. It will not hurt anything even if it is truly and obsolete key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Registry Cleaner




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Registry Pro Cleaner
Got it cannot get rid of it. Wants to be paid. Any help appreciated. Ran Super Anti Spyware,Malewarebytes,CC Cleaner and it is still here. Actually on my wifes side . Any help appreciated.
Software
Should I use a Registry Cleaner?
Running Windows 7 32-bit operating system on Gateway GT5622 desktop computer. Event Viewer reports errors 7026, 7003, and 7001. The description for these errors is misconfigured system files. Should I use a system cleaner to correct these errors? :confused:
Performance & Maintenance
Any help with CC registry cleaner?
Have Win-7 Ultimate. When I run CCleaner I get this readout: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/wsp617/registrycleaner_zps111645a4.jpg When told to clean all the registry it says it has cleaned it. But when C Cleaner is run again the exact readout is repeated. Obviously not cleaning it...
Performance & Maintenance
Registry cleaner
I add and remove programs frequently and think I would like to use a registry cleaner to clean out the pieces. Are any safe to use? Thanks.
Performance & Maintenance
Registry Cleaner
Hopefully I am in the right Forum, if not let me know and I will try elsewhere.
Performance & Maintenance
I used a Registry Cleaner
I'm running Win 7 64 bit. I researched and then purchased Ace Utilities, which Cnet gave 5 stars to. I used it, and also used it's Registry Cleaner. I don't notice that the cleaner did any harm. What do you think of Ace Utilities' Registry Cleaner, or Registry Cleaners in general for Win 7?...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App