Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 64 bit software support (or lack of)

16 Jun 2009   #1
rkellogg9

Windows 7
 
 
64 bit software support (or lack of)

I'm curious who has had enough problems with the lack of 64 bit software support that they are considering going with the 32 bit version when Windows 7 is released in the Fall.

Personally, the lack of a Cisco VPN client, some poor software support, and a few driver issues, is really making me reconsider going with 64. Then again, I have not tried out the XP virtualization.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Jun 2009   #2
srq2625

Win7 Ultimate, x64
 
 

Not me. I've got all the driver support I need to productively use x64. The only shortfall I see, for me, is the last of Flash for 64-bit. For that I just use 32-bit Firefox.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2009   #3
swarfega

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Generally the lack of 64-bit software isnt a concern as most 32-bit applications run quite happily. But as you mentioned the kill-joy is lack of 64-bit flash.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jun 2009   #4
akash3656

Windows 7 32-bit; no 64 coz its a P4 478
 
 

Well, i checked with Microsoft.com , it says my ancient (maybe not so ancient) printer support Windows Vista & 7 32-bit (SURPRISINGLY) + with 64-bit support(Microsoft.com)... Also have a Brother MFC-215C (RMA) that Windows Vista & 7 32-bit flawlessly + 64-bit support (from Microsoft.com). In that way I'm ready for 64-bit... when i get my new computer.... It also seems like my dad's Wireless adapter (USB) supports 64-bit too (I havent check 64-bit but i think it should work)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2009   #5
digitalrurouni

Windows 7 x64 Pro
 
 

Well for VPN look no further than NCP's offering. It really is a brilliant piece of software for vpn but it is a bit pricey. It works though.

I am not sure though if Canon SLR's have x64 drivers though. I know they did not for XP x64. The situation may have changed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2009   #6
srq2625

Win7 Ultimate, x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by digitalrurouni View Post
Well for VPN look no further than NCP's offering. It really is a brilliant piece of software for vpn but it is a bit pricey. It works though.

I am not sure though if Canon SLR's have x64 drivers though. I know they did not for XP x64. The situation may have changed.
The last time I looked, a couple of days ago, they did not for one application, their EOS Utility which allows one to control/update the camera from the computer through a USB connection.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2009   #7
patrickt

Windows7 beta 7000
 
 

I have both 64bit and 32bit IE8 icons on my taskbar and use 32bit when I want Flash, which is rare.

When I moved to 64bit Windows7 I had two problems. One was a very old dictionary and the other was codecs from Pentax for viewing raw files. I replaced the dictionary and am waiting for Pentax to write 64bit codecs.

Of course, I have only two programs that run as 64bit. The others are 32bit programs that run just fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2009   #8
Scotteq

Windows 7 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rkellogg9 View Post
I'm curious who has had enough problems with the lack of 64 bit software support that they are considering going with the 32 bit version when Windows 7 is released in the Fall.

Personally, the lack of a Cisco VPN client, some poor software support, and a few driver issues, is really making me reconsider going with 64. Then again, I have not tried out the XP virtualization.


Have you checked with Cisco as to their timeline for releasing a 64 bit compatible client? To be honest, I'm rather surprised it's not available yet since it doesn't have to be 64 bit native - Just compatible.


Also, your post is pretty vague as to software support and driver issues: Do you have specific examples we might try to research? Granted, drivers have to be 64 bit. But anything released in the last few years that has a Windows logo on the box *must* have 64 bit drivers. This is a requirement from Microsoft before permission to use the logo is granted. Regarding Software: As mentioned above, it doesn't have to be 64 bit native. The only requirement is that it runs on Vista.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2009   #9
rkellogg9

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Scotteq View Post
Have you checked with Cisco as to their timeline for releasing a 64 bit compatible client? To be honest, I'm rather surprised it's not available yet since it doesn't have to be 64 bit native - Just compatible.


Also, your post is pretty vague as to software support and driver issues: Do you have specific examples we might try to research? Granted, drivers have to be 64 bit. But anything released in the last few years that has a Windows logo on the box *must* have 64 bit drivers. This is a requirement from Microsoft before permission to use the logo is granted. Regarding Software: As mentioned above, it doesn't have to be 64 bit native. The only requirement is that it runs on Vista.
With respect to drivers I am referring to Eprint by Pharos systems. The others I can deal with, but the printing issue is a pain.

As for the VPN client, Cisco may actually now offer such a version, but the university I work at does not offer the client.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 64 bit software support (or lack of)




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
going forward, new software won't support Windows 7?
I was talking to a rep from Best Buy (I know...), and I explained that I'm looking for a PC that comes pre-installed with Windows 7 for my girlfriend's sister. She really has no interest in moving to Windows 8 currently, unless she has no say in the matter. Dell's website currently still lets you...
General Discussion
Which remote support software to purchase for a 50+ user base
Hi Everyone, I am currently trying to decide on the best remote support software to purchase for a 50+ workstation business. I have experimented with Real VNC and TeamViewer, and whilst they are quite comparable I noticed that TeamViewer has a feature called "Seamless Windows" (if anybody knows...
Software
Hardware/Software Support Class Help
For one one of my Hardware/Software assignments I have to create a problem on a fellow students PC. The problem has to be software-based. The PC's have a fresh install of XP and Win7 on separate hdd's. There are no other programs installed- just what is on the installation discs. ...
Chillout Room
Realtek HD audio problem with the software support
Hello. I own motherboard ASUS P6T SE and Windows 7 64bit operating system. In the mentioned system is Realtek HD control panel (Realtek HD onboard sound device) in which I encountered a problem. In fact, I can not provide any inputs/outputs, as I could before on the other motherboard (Gigabyte)...
Sound & Audio
Software RAID 5 Support Window 7 X64 Pro
Does Windows 7 x64 Pro support RAID 5 in disk management? It shows up as an option but it always grayed out. I have (4) 500GB drives and would really like to use RAID 5 on the 3 that aren't boot drives without all of the BS of using my MoBo controllers and finding the right drivers.
Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 Game Explorer lack of Icon Customization Lack
I am a very disatisfied new Windows 7 user. My problem specifically is related to the new Game Explorer for Windows 7. Windows 7 Game Explorer does not allow for Icon Customization. Not at all. I find this to be a horrendous problem. When trying to drag my game icons from the folders where the...
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:38.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App