Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Movie Inventory Software

08 Jan 2011   #21
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

One thing that I have found is that this program does a task that I had hoped for...there is a link in the data window for each movie, which when clicked opens that movie in it's default player, making collectorz the main hub for all video functions. I'm sure that this can only work for movies that have been encoded to a hard drive, so I'm wondering about how to get both methods of movie data collection to work together? Can one add barcoded scans to a database containing movies already scanned by the software located on the hard drive, without one overwriting or interfering with the other? After a movie is entered by barcode scan, can it afterward be linked to a movie file on the hard drive.

I guess that I won't know until I get a scanner, but these two methods seem to be separated from each other.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Jan 2011   #22
TonyTiger2004

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
One thing that I have found is that this program does a task that I had hoped for...there is a link in the data window for each movie, which when clicked opens that movie in it's default player, making collectorz the main hub for all video functions. I'm sure that this can only work for movies that have been encoded to a hard drive, so I'm wondering about how to get both methods of movie data collection to work together? Can one add barcoded scans to a database containing movies already scanned by the software located on the hard drive, without one overwriting or interfering with the other? After a movie is entered by barcode scan, can it afterward be linked to a movie file on the hard drive.

I guess that I won't know until I get a scanner, but these two methods seem to be separated from each other.
To be honest i never messed around with encoded movies on the hard drive and adding scanned movies. So im not sure but i think it would add them together probably give you an option once scanned.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #23
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Hopefully, but I have had a problem with a second manual scan causing double entries in the record, and I have not yet found how to eliminate the problem before or afterward. Therefore, I'm expecting the same of the barcode scans. It may be simple, but simple can be confusing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jan 2011   #24
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

It was a shot in the dark, but I went ahead and ordered this scanner:

Hand Held USB CCD Point of Sale PoS Barcode Scanner NEW - eBay (item 120474098769 end time Jan-19-11 17:02:38 PST)

The vender said that it would work fine...for whatever that's worth.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #25
TonyTiger2004

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
It was a shot in the dark, but I went ahead and ordered this scanner:

Hand Held USB CCD Point of Sale PoS Barcode Scanner NEW - eBay (item 120474098769 end time Jan-19-11 17:02:38 PST)

The vender said that it would work fine...for whatever that's worth.
Once you verify it does or does not work, post it up i would be interested in knowing if it does. as the scanner collectorz sales with it they want lots of money for.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #26
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

One thing that I don't think that a scanner will fix is that some multiple feature DVDs combine movies into one file. Even with a barcode scanned in, it wouldn't ID each movie, after them being split apart. If they were not split, I don't know how the software would display them?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #27
TonyTiger2004

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
One thing that I don't think that a scanner will fix is that some multiple feature DVDs combine movies into one file. Even with a barcode scanned in, it wouldn't ID each movie, after them being split apart. If they were not split, I don't know how the software would display them?

like those movies you get that come with 3 or 4 movies to one case? Im not sure how that would work. Probably something you would have to enter manually, or it would probably show it as it is. 1 case with 3 or 4 movies together. Like if u where to scan a season of something would show it as a season *box set*

EDIT: You know how when you add a movie you search for the appropriate cover for it? I would imagine it would have a cover for the multiple movies in one case. Or you could make one urself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #28
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

No, I wasn't thinking about a multiple disk set, but where multiple features are on one disk. Not only on one disk, but instead of that disk containing separate files, all of the videos are in one file. For example, I have one DVD called "Classic Suspense", which contains 9 episodes, not of one program, but 9 different ones. That is the worst case that I have come across, but there are a number of disks with fewer features, which are in one file also. I suspect that I will just have to split the videos and enter them one at a time manually, but I'm hoping that Collectorz is setup better than that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #29
TonyTiger2004

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
No, I wasn't thinking about a multiple disk set, but where multiple features are on one disk. Not only on one disk, but instead of that disk containing separate files, all of the videos are in one file. For example, I have one DVD called "Classic Suspense", which contains 9 episodes, not of one program, but 9 different ones. That is the worst case that I have come across, but there are a number of disks with fewer features, which are in one file also. I suspect that I will just have to split the videos and enter them one at a time manually, but I'm hoping that Collectorz is setup better than that.
So that would be considered a Box set, like a tv show that contains x amount of episodes. If thats the case it will be displayed as that box set containing x number of episodes. But i would think collectorz would be setup correctly for that. Only time will tell.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2011   #30
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Since the movies are on an external hard drive, that I intend to move back and forth between computers, I thought that it would be good if I installed collectorz on that drive, instead of the OS drive. However, I'm sure that there are a lot of registry keys that would have to exist on both computers for the program to function properly.

I guess that I could install the program on the other computer, and just move the database from this computer to it, but I'm not certain where that database is, nor if there is any other file necessary, that would not be created by the installation? I just don't want to have to build and maintain two different installations, doubling the work.

EDIT: I just posted this question on the Collectorz Forum, but it is a ghost town (11 people online, of which only 4...counting myself, are logged in). So I hope that someone here has an idea that I can use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Movie Inventory Software




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Software inventory
Is there a free program that will let me inventorise all the software that I have installed so I know what to install after a format?
Software
Home Inventory Software
I need to create an inventory of what I have, for my renters insurance. I Googled and got a lot of returns, and I imagine that there are quite a lot of them that are good, but I really want the best available, so long as it isn't too expensive. Since creating an inventory isn't something that...
Software
Software/Hardware Inventory with Agent
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a hardware/software inventory tool that comes with an agent. I manage a windows network of about 150 machines and would like to be able to install the agent on each machine and then get an overview of all the machines on the network...
Network & Sharing
Best Software for DVD Movie Conversion??
gang I'm still in the noob category for authoring/editing/converting/streaming/storing multimedia but climbing the hill. I use and reco DVD Flick for converting some of the common video filetypes to format for burning to DVD, but this question goes the opposite way. What software, and to what...
Media Center
Movie Software for DVD Players
This may or may not be the right place to ask, but here goes. I can download movies which come in various formats (mpg, dvd, avi etc). I have the capability to convert these movies to DVD format and burn to a DVD disk. My problem is that I have four DVD Players and all are Region 1. ...
Software
advice on movie making software
What are the best programs for creating videos using multiple video clips (excluding windows movie maker) either freeware or paid for software . Advise much appreciated:)
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:59.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App