Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Any registry utility for W7 x64?

13 Aug 2009   #11
hdfrango

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 build 7600
 
 

In the list I provided, 2 have some kind of safe to delete entries vs those requiring attention:

  • CleanMyPc Registry Cleaner x64 edition
  • Bytessence registry cleaner
You'll probably like Bytessence registry cleaner, the freeware, definitely worth a look

Another one that gives such safe vs unsafe and some more advanced features is Regvac Registry Cleaner : Computer Software from Super Win Software .

There is also the freeware Free Windows Registry Repair : Registry Cleaner Software Downloads at RegSofts.com


I still have to confirm whether those 2 above see 64bit keys or not, I am not sure.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Aug 2009   #12
HerrKaLeun

W7 Pro 64
 
 

I hope you have a second PC to go online to look for help after you used any of the registry cleaners

If I was you I would first research all the verifiable tests that show that a registry cleaner actually speeds up your system (that should be easy, since there are none).

And then compare that to all the reports about how registry cleaners messed up systems (millions)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2009   #13
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by churin View Post
Thank you very much everyone.
The RegScanner appears to be the one I was looking for. I used to use Reg Organizer but since this is for 32bit only so that I can no longer use it.

I once used registry cleaning utility(RegCure) but it often caused problem if I did not carefully select which to delete from the list generated by the utility. The process of reviewing each listed entries was very time-consuming.
I wonder if there is a registry utility which lists in two categorized group, one which is relatively safe to delete and another which needs close review. CCleaner seems very popular but how is the list presented in this regard.
I only use CCleaner where registy cleaning is concerned...since they updated it last its support for Windows 7 is now excellent
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Aug 2009   #14
hdfrango

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
I hope you have a second PC to go online to look for help after you used any of the registry cleaners

If I was you I would first research all the verifiable tests that show that a registry cleaner actually speeds up your system (that should be easy, since there are none).

And then compare that to all the reports about how registry cleaners messed up systems (millions)
I'm sorry if I sound rude, but you're almost telling me I recommend people software I don't test... (and that also extends to others recommending registry cleaners in this thread, not just me)

Registry cleaners have improved a lot in the past few years, and there is nothing wrong behind the idea of wanting to keep the registry clean, it's just that many software developpers did it wrong.

The registry is basically a database, and a dabatase (in general) can always benefit from being kept clean.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2009   #15
tw33k

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

i use reg mechanic and have done for years. never had a problem with it. it does exactly what i need it to
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #16
HerrKaLeun

W7 Pro 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hdfrango View Post
I'm sorry if I sound rude, but you're almost telling me I recommend people software I don't test... (and that also extends to others recommending registry cleaners in this thread, not just me)

Registry cleaners have improved a lot in the past few years, and there is nothing wrong behind the idea of wanting to keep the registry clean, it's just that many software developpers did it wrong.

The registry is basically a database, and a dabatase (in general) can always benefit from being kept clean.
but does it really bring a benefit? Really, is there some test that verifiably shows the benefit? And of course it comes with some risk. Is it worth that?

I'm not saying people who use it are wrong or stupid. I know from experience that it doesn't show benefits and causes problems. Possible I never used that one good tool. but with a 99% chance to get the wrong tool and still not benefit with the 1% of tools that don't mess up the system, I really don't see the benefit. Especially with a new OS such a deeply OS-related tool likley causes problems. If not now, some time later you start one of your applications and need to reinstall it because some of those cleaners deleted some things.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2009   #17
churin

W7 Ult x64 and W8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
I only use CCleaner where registy cleaning is concerned...since they updated it last its support for Windows 7 is now excellent
I checked website of the CCleaner but there was no mention of Windows 7. Could you post URL of the website on which the support for Windows 7 is stated?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2009   #18
Subsonic

Windows7 x64 7600 16385
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
I only use CCleaner where registy cleaning is concerned...since they updated it last its support for Windows 7 is now excellent
+1 Agreed. Never had a problem with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2009   #19
Subsonic

Windows7 x64 7600 16385
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by churin View Post
I checked website of the CCleaner but there was no mention of Windows 7. Could you post URL of the website on which the support for Windows 7 is stated?
Under the "What New" on the main page:

[28th July 2009]
CCleaner v2.22
- Redesign of Cleaner results panel.
- Added support for Opera 10 Beta.
- Added support for Safari 4.0.
- Added search to Uninstall tool.
- Added search to Cookies screen.
- Improved User assist cleaning in Windows 7.
- Fixed bug in OpenOffice cleaning.
- Fixed IE8 SuggestedSites.dat cleaning support.
- Fixed UI bugs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2009   #20
churin

W7 Ult x64 and W8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
[28th July 2009]
CCleaner v2.22
- Redesign of Cleaner results panel.
- Added support for Opera 10 Beta.
- Added support for Safari 4.0.
- Added search to Uninstall tool.
- Added search to Cookies screen.
- Improved User assist cleaning in Windows 7.
- Fixed bug in OpenOffice cleaning.
- Fixed IE8 SuggestedSites.dat cleaning support.
- Fixed UI bugs.
Thanks for the clarification.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Any registry utility for W7 x64?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can you copy a WinXP Pro registry entry into Win 7 registry
Hello, Background: 1. I have a program I use always, I have the install disks and can install it on Win 7 Pro x64. It is a 32 bit program. However, this program had a critical patch issued as a download way back when and this patch cannot be installed on the 7 system, because the installer is...
General Discussion
Cannot delete certain Registry Key; Cannot change Owner of Registry Ke
In order to get rid of the *.zip folder view in WinExplorer on a64bit WIn7 system I tried to delete (according to some tutorials) the Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{E88DCCE0-B7B3-11d1-A9F0-00AA0060FA31} Unfortuantely this is NOT possible immediately....
General Discussion
Registry: can't control Desktop Background Slideshow in registry?
Just a rough test: 1. No slideshow on desktop; 2. Backup the registry file; 3. Turn on the slideshow (Desktop - Personalize - Desktop Background - Select All - Save Changes); 4. Run the backup registry file; The desktop starts with the original picture (the desktop wallpaper picture...
Customization
Registry problem after windows update and registry optimization tool
Hello sevenforum, I've already spend some time on this forum today but I can't find the solution to a particular registry problem I'm having. While windows was uploading some updates yesterday, I cleaned my registry using Iolo's system mechanic tool and that's where the problems started. (I...
Backup and Restore
Driver Sweeper can't delete all registry files in registry editor
http://i2.aijaa.com/b/00227/9175142.png So this is the situation: I've unistalled Amd Driver from Device Manager, Unistalled Catalyst software and ran Driver Sweeper. There is only 3 registeries that the Driver Sweeper CAN'T delete and these are under SYSTEM\ folder. I've tried to change user...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App