Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: So, I got an notice from my ISP for downloading torrent

02 Nov 2009   #21
Deathmanlp

Windows 8 64 bit
 
 

Try this https://torrentprivacy.com/. But you have to pay for it or just dont use torrents download from rapidshare megaupload etc.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Nov 2009   #22
Adrian

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
This is stupidity. I'd switch to another ISP if they interfere in my computing.
In my opinion, the ISP has no right to say what we can/cannot do on OUR computers. Sure it may be their service, but without us they have no cash source to keep the company going, they should respect our privacy and not tell us what we can and cannot do.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
My advice, lobby for free distribution channels, don't pirate stuff. If you don't like the restrictions, then don't support the system.
I don't encourage pirating, but if someone wants to pirate, then let them. They get caught, its there own fault.
Nova, it may not be an issue of piracy but one of bandwidth. There has been riguorous debate amongst cable companies in regard to usage. This was an issue in Maryland where a company was going to change its subscription fees due to hi band width usage by some of its subscribers. Torrents are notoriously slow when there are only 1 -2 seeds and it could take days to get a file. Companies were considering charging us by a tier system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #23
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Teerex:

If the log shows nothing other than amount and time, how does that identify the content and/or possible legal violations?

It may be true that "it is not the business of an ISP to know exactly what you were doing while connected", but that is not my question.

My first question is CAN ISPs retain more details than the time of the connection and the amount downloaded?

The second question is do some ISPs do so?

If you don't believe they can, I would ask why you believe that? There may well be a technical reason they can't. I am just asking.

If you believe they can, but don't, I would ask why you believe that? Do you have inside information?

You say "they do not do it." How do you know that?

If an ISP knows only the time of the connection and the amount of the download, how could anyone ever be prosecuted for any download?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Nov 2009   #24
sup3rsprt

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
If an ISP knows only the time of the connection and the amount of the download, how could anyone ever be prosecuted for any download?
Consider the numerous people who have been sued (and lost) without any proof whatsoever (besides IP address) that they were voluntarily involved in sharing copyrighted material.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #25
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
This is stupidity. I'd switch to another ISP if they interfere in my computing.
In my opinion, the ISP has no right to say what we can/cannot do on OUR computers. Sure it may be their service, but without us they have no cash source to keep the company going, they should respect our privacy and not tell us what we can and cannot do.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
My advice, lobby for free distribution channels, don't pirate stuff. If you don't like the restrictions, then don't support the system.
I don't encourage pirating, but if someone wants to pirate, then let them. They get caught, its there own fault.
Nova, it may not be an issue of piracy but one of bandwidth. There has been riguorous debate amongst cable companies in regard to usage. This was an issue in Maryland where a company was going to change its subscription fees due to hi band width usage by some of its subscribers. Torrents are notoriously slow when there are only 1 -2 seeds and it could take days to get a file. Companies were considering charging us by a tier system.
I respect that opinion, though around here in the US there are not many Internet Service Providers that would even dare to put a cap on our monthly bandwidth, we pay monthly for unlimited.

If a company wants to 'restrict' us, and take that kind of action.. they may as well just put a cap on the bandwidth.

Now if you'll excuse me, theres some mountain dew that needs drinking.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #26
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Supersport:

I have tried to follow the legal cases as best I can.

I know many people have had issues because they made files available to others--sharing or uploading, as with a torrent. Some of these people have made a voluntary settlement of X dollars to get out of the jam, in which case there is no trial.

Others have simply been intimidated by notices from ISPs.

Do you know of any court cases with a jury verdict against a DOWNLOADER for DOWNLOADING only (not sharing, not torrents, not uploading) and can you point me to it? I may have missed it.

I fail to understand how anyone would even bring a case or a jury would ever convict UNLESS the content of the download was known. If the content is known, then presumably that information came from logs--thus my questions above.

Any links or solid info appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #27
sup3rsprt

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
I know many people have had issues because they made files available to others--sharing or uploading, as with a torrent.
That's true. Usually it's the sharing part that gets people in trouble. Just downloading something from the web for example is probably not nearly as likely to get someone in trouble (not that I'd recommend it).

I suppose there's always the possibility of entrapment, whereby some organization makes their own copyrighted material available for download on the internet and then punishes people for downloading it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #28
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Yes, entrapment is a possibility, but I have not heard of it being used against downloaders.

Even then, if the log contains only time and amount info, the entrapment scheme would fail. The plaintiff would have to seize the hard drive, show the files, and prove there was no other possible source for them. That hasn't happened. Without that, who is to say the defendant didn't download gibberish or content that is in the public domain?

There was a case recently in the midwest where there was a conviction. I think it involved someone having a couple of dozen files on their PC and sharing them through a torrent. The trial never established that the couple of dozen files were not legitimately obtained--she was convicted because she shared and because she had lied about several issues--such as changing her hard drive AFTER being told she was under investigation. They had a Best Buy receipt indicating a new hard drive installation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #29
sup3rsprt

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
The plaintiff would have to seize the hard drive, show the files, and prove there was no other possible source for them. That hasn't happened.
It has not needed to happen. Most people will settle before going to court, because of the likelyhood that court costs would be far greater than the amount they're getting sued for. That and the fact that they will most definitely lose the case anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #30
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

You are right--most people settle.

The inference to be drawn from the tendency to settle is that logs would reveal guilt or the accused are afraid they might.

Logs could not reveal guilt if they contained only time and amount.

I have to assume logs contain additional info, or people ASSUME they do.

I know nothing about torrents and there may be some non-log method of tracking that stuff.

I am awaiting a case for downloading only that results in a jury trial in which logs are brought into court and relied on, one way or another.

I am also waiting for definitive statements from any ISP as to their log policy, in detail.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 So, I got an notice from my ISP for downloading torrent




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Getting BSOD usually while downloading from torrent
I have been getting BSOD very frequently. It was not very frequent at start. I searched for the solution and found many information related to problem with Daemon Tools SPTD driver. I have stopped using Daemon Tools since then. I even uninstalled Utorrent and switched to Tixati as someone suggested...
BSOD Help and Support
getting constent BSOD from downloading via torrent
Please I really need help with this I can't get anything done keeps saying in blue screen Driver IRQL not less or equal 0x000000d1 also attaching the sf diagnostic file problem is happening on my laptop which is Home Premium 64bit laptop is HP Pavilion G4-2005AU AMD Trinity (B4Q35PA)
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD When Downloading a Torrent. Please Help
I have a new PC (Toshiba Portage R700) and am using Win 7 Pro x64. When downloading a torrent using Utorrent I get BSOD (usually 1-5 min. after starting downloading). I've attached the zipped file required. Below is the problem report: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BlueScreen ...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD while downloading torrent (BitTorrent)
Hi there, I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on a 2 year old ASUS K40IJ/K50IJ series. I get a BSOD when downloading torrents using BitTorrent. The OS is OEM version and has never been reinstalled. Attached is my BSOD files and Perfmon file in a .zip format as requested.
BSOD Help and Support
Help with downloading torrent files through FDM
Hello friends, the only reason for asking this questions on this forum is because the FDM forum couldn't help me with this. So back to basics 7forum. Here is my problem: I'm using FDM Build 931(free download manager) to download any files/applications etc from internet. It also downloads torrent...
Software
Issues with torrent downloading
Hi, I've got some issues with whenever I download torrents (legal downloads of course). Whenever I so much as open any torrent client, all of my other internet stops working. All of the internet in my entire house too, not just my computer. This only seems to happen in my Se7en installation, but...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App