Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Not able to use bitlocker, why?

29 Apr 2010   #11
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blakenowazdi View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blakenowazdi View Post

lol, thanks for the back-up advice but it says I need over 200GB to do it and I don't have that type of space lying around. The most I have is a 70GB external drive and it already has my valuable files stored on it. O well....
How big is your used space on C - 200GB sounds very, very large. If it is less than 100GB, I will make another suggestion.
used space is something like 191Gb free of a 250GB disk. I cant tell for sure because Bitlocker is currently encrypting my drive.
That means you have 59GB used space on C. The image should not take more than 35GBs - at least with Macrium. But since you are already running Bitlocker, I guess it is too late for an image. Next time you want to image, have a look at my imaging tutorials.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Apr 2010   #12
blakenowazdi

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blakenowazdi View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
How big is your used space on C - 200GB sounds very, very large. If it is less than 100GB, I will make another suggestion.
used space is something like 191Gb free of a 250GB disk. I cant tell for sure because Bitlocker is currently encrypting my drive.
That means you have 59GB used space on C. The image should not take more than 35GBs - at least with Macrium. But since you are already running Bitlocker, I guess it is too late for an image. Next time you want to image, have a look at my imaging tutorials.
thank you
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #13
blakenowazdi

Windows 7
 
 

UPDATE:

BTlocker has completed encrypting my C drive and everything seems to be working as it should. I am also not experiencing any issues when shutting down my machine!


Thank you to everybody that helped.


After BTlocker finished its work I decided to go ahead and use Macrium to create a disk image of C. It worked very well. Thank you again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Apr 2010   #14
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blakenowazdi View Post
UPDATE:

BTlocker has completed encrypting my C drive and everything seems to be working as it should. I am also not experiencing any issues when shutting down my machine!


Thank you to everybody that helped.


After BTlocker finished its work I decided to go ahead and use Macrium to create a disk image of C. It worked very well. Thank you again.
Just a little question. How big is your Macrium image - was my guess of 35GBs in the ballpark?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #15
blakenowazdi

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blakenowazdi View Post
UPDATE:

BTlocker has completed encrypting my C drive and everything seems to be working as it should. I am also not experiencing any issues when shutting down my machine!


Thank you to everybody that helped.


After BTlocker finished its work I decided to go ahead and use Macrium to create a disk image of C. It worked very well. Thank you again.
Just a little question. How big is your Macrium image - was my guess of 35GBs in the ballpark?
C drive actual size was 42GB +100MB system reserve---disk image is 25.6Gb

the file is a 970C268A916AFE6D-00-00.mrimg (does that sound right)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #16
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

That sounds right. I was going with the assumption that your C has 59MBs of data. The compression ratio is such that you end up with appr. 55% of the original size. And the filename looks very familiar.
PS: have a look at your other thread. I left some reading material.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Not able to use bitlocker, why?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BitLocker Drive Encryption - BitLocker To Go - Turn On or Off
How to Turn Windows 7 BitLocker To Go On or Off for Removable Drives BitLocker To Go is used to encrypt and password protect any removable external hard drives and USB flash drives. The drives must be formatted using either the exFAT, FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS file system and must be at least...
Tutorials
BIOS flash error, BITLOCKER on? No bitlocker installed, Win 7 Pro
I tried using HP BIOS Flashing utility on my HP Z400 Workstation, and it says it can't continue because I have Bitlocker enabled, but I don't have bitlocker on Win 7 Professional 32bit. I don't see it on the control panel or in context menus. I do see it set to manual in "Services" but the service...
General Discussion
BitLocker - Please help
I'm in the process of fixing crap that Acronis TrueImage broke while uninstalling. Apparently their developers forgot to make their application revert changes after the uninstall finishes. Anyway, I'm having a weird issue. Took 2-3 hours last night to get Backup & Restore working being that...
System Security
Bitlocker: BitLocker could not be enabled
I am trying to enable BitLocker on a Windows 7 Ultimate x32 system with TPM. I follow the Wizard and when asked to encrypt the drive I select 'Run BitLocker system check' and 'Continue' (see attached sreenshot). The USB is inserted and contains the recovery key (.txt and .tpm). During reboot I...
System Security
BitLocker
I am trying to encrypt a 250 gb internal had drive with bitlocker... it made it until 57% and will not finish. When I restart my pc and click resume it starts then returns to yellow (pause). I am now also having big problems with my machine now freezing. Some how bitlocker and windows live are part...
BSOD Help and Support
Help with Bitlocker
I was switching to 64 Bit from 32 Bit and had a western Digital 1-TB hardrive, as a back up and was Bitlocker Encryption to . Saved all my files to this drive and turn of Bitlocker. When I set up Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and added my back up drive it ask me to unlock well I would only the file...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App