Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: .ISO Shrinker/ Compressor

06 Jun 2010   #11
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

dannyboy2005, file compression can only compress so much... If you have files that are compression friendly (like text files, or HTML files), you can compress them significantly. In case of .ISO containing another set if .ISO files, well... You can't really compress a not so compression friendly data... My best solution will be split the files using other utilities and burn the sliced files to different DVD disks... I personally keep my super important data in several DVDs + several Flashdisk + a folder in my SAN...

zzz2496

Ps. for 10+ GB optical storage, go with BD-R disks, it contains 25GB disk space in 1 layer, 2 layers can provide 50GB disk space, but then you'd need a BD burner...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Jun 2010   #12
osholt

Windows 7 Profesional x86, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dannyboy2005 View Post
Do they do 10GB DVD+/- anywhere?
No it's not possible.

You can have single layer DVDs at 4.7GB or if you have a dual layer DVD drive (which is quite likely) you can use more expensive Dual layer 8.5GB DVDs.

Oli
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2010   #13
NilsE

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by osholt View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NilsE View Post
I think my situation may be similar to the original request.

I have an OEM Win 7 iso, that I am trying to make a backup of, which is slightly too big to burn to a DVD. Not sure why that is the case since it is created from the original DVD so it must have been compressed somehow when originally created..
Just try burning the ISO to a DVD even though it's a little too big, it may just be some ISO containment files which make it a little big and of course they won't be burned.
Oli
Thanks. Actually trying to burn it is how I found out it was too big. I then tried it with 3 different packages but none of them could do it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jun 2010   #14
dannyboy2005

Windows 7 Pro X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by osholt View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dannyboy2005 View Post
Do they do 10GB DVD+/- anywhere?
No it's not possible.

You can have single layer DVDs at 4.7GB or if you have a dual layer DVD drive (which is quite likely) you can use more expensive Dual layer 8.5GB DVDs.

Oli
They do 8.5GB Dual Layer On The Bay

I did a google search of 'Dual Layer' and my DVD R/W is a dual drive (I typed in the model number)

As i understand it, is dual drive the ability to record + & - RW's?

I can simply burn each 8GB .ISO file to a disc and make it bootable, then problem solved?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2010   #15
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

If I understand correctly, you wish to create the DVD that the .iso is an image of. You want the DVD to be bootable. You don't want to archive an 8+ GB .iso onto a single-layer DVD (still as an .iso, not as the disk that the .iso is an image of.)

As far as I know, it can't be done, any more than you could burn it onto a 700MB CD.

I'm not clear on why you have such a large .iso. At least in the US, the 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 each fit on a single-layer DVD. The only stuff I've seen that's larger are hacked compilations, that give both versions in a single package.

You don't list your optical drive in your system specs. Why don't you share that with us?

Unless your DVD burner is old, it'll probably support DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+R DL (dual layer), DVD-R DL, DVD+RW (rewritable), DVD-RW, and maybe DVD-RAM. How old is old? I have Plextor PX-708A on the shelf that doesn't support DL, but it was made in 2003.

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, tolerable DVD burners can be purchased online for around $20. With your A8N-SLI mainboard, you have 4 SATA ports, so you aren't limited to parallel ATA (IDE) drives.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2010   #16
dannyboy2005

Windows 7 Pro X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
If I understand correctly, you wish to create the DVD that the .iso is an image of. You want the DVD to be bootable. You don't want to archive an 8+ GB .iso onto a single-layer DVD (still as an .iso, not as the disk that the .iso is an image of.)

As far as I know, it can't be done, any more than you could burn it onto a 700MB CD.

I'm not clear on why you have such a large .iso. At least in the US, the 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 each fit on a single-layer DVD. The only stuff I've seen that's larger are hacked compilations, that give both versions in a single package.

You don't list your optical drive in your system specs. Why don't you share that with us?

Unless your DVD burner is old, it'll probably support DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+R DL (dual layer), DVD-R DL, DVD+RW (rewritable), DVD-RW, and maybe DVD-RAM. How old is old? I have Plextor PX-708A on the shelf that doesn't support DL, but it was made in 2003.

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, tolerable DVD burners can be purchased online for around $20. With your A8N-SLI mainboard, you have 4 SATA ports, so you aren't limited to parallel ATA (IDE) drives.
I'm sorry to sound rude, but i have NOT downloaded Windows 7. I currently run Win7 ultimate (As says in my spec), so why on earth you assume this i shell never know, whats more, i have 6x 8.5GB files to burn.

My DVD burner is: SONY DVD RW DW-Q28A ATA Device

I am no longer keeping my motherboard as from next Saturday, i have upgraded to a gaming computer, ASUS Rampage II

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2010   #17
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dannyboy2005 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
If I understand correctly, you wish to create the DVD that the .iso is an image of. You want the DVD to be bootable. You don't want to archive an 8+ GB .iso onto a single-layer DVD (still as an .iso, not as the disk that the .iso is an image of.)

As far as I know, it can't be done, any more than you could burn it onto a 700MB CD.

I'm not clear on why you have such a large .iso. At least in the US, the 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 each fit on a single-layer DVD. The only stuff I've seen that's larger are hacked compilations, that give both versions in a single package.

You don't list your optical drive in your system specs. Why don't you share that with us?

Unless your DVD burner is old, it'll probably support DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+R DL (dual layer), DVD-R DL, DVD+RW (rewritable), DVD-RW, and maybe DVD-RAM. How old is old? I have Plextor PX-708A on the shelf that doesn't support DL, but it was made in 2003.

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, tolerable DVD burners can be purchased online for around $20. With your A8N-SLI mainboard, you have 4 SATA ports, so you aren't limited to parallel ATA (IDE) drives.
I'm sorry to sound rude, but i have NOT downloaded Windows 7. I currently run Win7 ultimate (As says in my spec), so why on earth you assume this i shell never know, whats more, i have 6x 8.5GB files to burn.

My DVD burner is: SONY DVD RW DW-Q28A ATA Device

I am no longer keeping my motherboard as from next Saturday, i have upgraded to a gaming computer, ASUS Rampage II

Thanks
I'm not assuming anything. Reading back over the thread, it's not clear to me that you have a Win7 .iso that won't fit on a single-layer DVD. The discussion seems to have wandered off in irrelevant directions.

The DW-Q28A supports DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL, both at 4X burn speeds.

Sounds like you should acquire some dual layer media. Either type (+ or -) will serve you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2010   #18
dannyboy2005

Windows 7 Pro X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dannyboy2005 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
If I understand correctly, you wish to create the DVD that the .iso is an image of. You want the DVD to be bootable. You don't want to archive an 8+ GB .iso onto a single-layer DVD (still as an .iso, not as the disk that the .iso is an image of.)

As far as I know, it can't be done, any more than you could burn it onto a 700MB CD.

I'm not clear on why you have such a large .iso. At least in the US, the 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 each fit on a single-layer DVD. The only stuff I've seen that's larger are hacked compilations, that give both versions in a single package.

You don't list your optical drive in your system specs. Why don't you share that with us?

Unless your DVD burner is old, it'll probably support DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+R DL (dual layer), DVD-R DL, DVD+RW (rewritable), DVD-RW, and maybe DVD-RAM. How old is old? I have Plextor PX-708A on the shelf that doesn't support DL, but it was made in 2003.

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, tolerable DVD burners can be purchased online for around $20. With your A8N-SLI mainboard, you have 4 SATA ports, so you aren't limited to parallel ATA (IDE) drives.
I'm sorry to sound rude, but i have NOT downloaded Windows 7. I currently run Win7 ultimate (As says in my spec), so why on earth you assume this i shell never know, whats more, i have 6x 8.5GB files to burn.

My DVD burner is: SONY DVD RW DW-Q28A ATA Device

I am no longer keeping my motherboard as from next Saturday, i have upgraded to a gaming computer, ASUS Rampage II

Thanks
I'm not assuming anything. Reading back over the thread, it's not clear to me that you have a Win7 .iso that won't fit on a single-layer DVD. The discussion seems to have wandered off in irrelevant directions.

The DW-Q28A supports DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL, both at 4X burn speeds.

Sounds like you should acquire some dual layer media. Either type (+ or -) will serve you.
Thanks for your help. I'll have to buy some disks.

Many thanks
Dan

Thanks for your help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 .ISO Shrinker/ Compressor




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
High CPU usage after using compressor to clean my PSU fan on my laptop
Hi all .. I have some problem that after I have cleaned my PSU fan with a compressor my laptop becoming crazy and when i am just opening my browser with only one tab my processor usage grow to about 67-90% and when i am opening another tab it is 100% ( when it loading the website ) . i already...
Performance & Maintenance
Any good dynamic compressor for sound editing?
i need a software that can perform dynamic compression. say, to make CD music sound like a pop music FM station. i need it for sound (wave files) editing purpose. thank you
Music, Pictures & Video
file compressor
whats a good file compressor 64 bit preferably, ive got some big files that i dont use too often and wouldn't mind shrinking them down to save space. thanks
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:39.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App