Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Registry..

27 Jun 2010   #1
JayC2

Windows xp SP3
 
 
Registry..

I noticed that the registry is an easy place to get infected by viruses so I have been maintaining my system with Glary Utilities (just recently and was able to get rid of an invalid item) I really like the vast amount of actions/options though it is a little too early to tell how good it really is and if it is really effective in ridding of it permanently. I have also heard of CCleaner as a good program so I wanted to know which most people prefer...if anybody uses either product.
thanks!

hope this is a good place to post it newbie here


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Jun 2010   #2
Subsonic

Windows7 x64 7600 16385
 
 

I've used CCleaner for a good while and never had a problem with it (including the registry cleaner).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #3
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

@ Subsonic Nice Avatar.

@Jay
I have been an active computer user since Windows 98 and I have this to say.

Vista and Windows 7 are different from the rest. Stay away from the registry (cleaners or otherwise) Ccleaner is great when you have a problem. For your antiviurs Microsoft Secruity Essentials is considered the best by many here. Its made just for Windows.

If you follow this guide and ignore the portion about registry cleaners, you will be very happy.
I am making my choice based on my own years of experience and the abundant knowldege that I have acquired, here on Windows7.
Suggestions for Proper Maintenance
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Jun 2010   #4
MK2

 
 

I use CCleaner as well.
Never any problems, very good program!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #5
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

I have both, and they both work fine on my machine. BUT, I have 3 types of system images, and Erunt makes daily registry backups. I have 5 or 6 programs that have reg cleaner ability, and none have yet borked my machine. BUT I won't recommend them to anyone. Your machine will react differently, and is everyone as backed up as I am? CCleaner seems to be the least likely to bork your system. But least likely isn't won't. Look into system image backups before looking into registry cleaners. registry cleaners should be low on the to do list. Backups, Security, etc. come first. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #6
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
BUT I won't recommend them to anyone. Your machine will react differently, and is everyone as backed up as I am?
I have nothing to add other than what you say about machines reacting different is so true. What works well for you or me might be a crapshoot for others and I have at times been the one rolling the dice only to have em come up snake eyes. Excellent reply A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #7
JayC2

Windows xp SP3
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
@ Subsonic Nice Avatar.

@Jay
I have been an active computer user since Windows 98 and I have this to say.

Vista and Windows 7 are different from the rest. Stay away from the registry (cleaners or otherwise) Ccleaner is great when you have a problem. For your antiviurs Microsoft Secruity Essentials is considered the best by many here. Its made just for Windows.

If you follow this guide and ignore the portion about registry cleaners, you will be very happy.
I am making my choice based on my own years of experience and the abundant knowldege that I have acquired, here on Windows7.
Suggestions for Proper Maintenance
Oh, trust me, anything dealing with the registry makes me nervous. But I used windows safety scanner and every time, it said I had this specific invalid registry (which I couldn't get rid of even after cleaning it multiple times). I got nervous, thus went searching for a cleaner that works and Glary got rid of it. I definitely don't want to take chances or play around fixing the registry. I will check out that link.

Thank you (everyone) for the input.

This is such a great place. I've gone through an unescapable virus every year and want to do everything to prevent it and be a little more knowledgeable.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I have both, and they both work fine on my machine. BUT, I have 3 types of system images, and Erunt makes daily registry backups. I have 5 or 6 programs that have reg cleaner ability, and none have yet borked my machine. BUT I won't recommend them to anyone. Your machine will react differently, and is everyone as backed up as I am? CCleaner seems to be the least likely to bork your system. But least likely isn't won't. Look into system image backups before looking into registry cleaners. registry cleaners should be low on the to do list. Backups, Security, etc. come first. A Guy
You're right and I was going to use CCleaner but I had issues using it in my other computer (though I think it was because of the virus) and I only used it for a day or so, I downloaded it after I realized my computer was infected - I liked that it backed up the reg every time as a precaution. So I searched for a new program and I chose Glary based on the reviews/comments. System image backups? I'm not too familiar with that ...do you mean system restore?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #8
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JayC2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
@ Subsonic Nice Avatar.

@Jay
I have been an active computer user since Windows 98 and I have this to say.

Vista and Windows 7 are different from the rest. Stay away from the registry (cleaners or otherwise) Ccleaner is great when you have a problem. For your antiviurs Microsoft Secruity Essentials is considered the best by many here. Its made just for Windows.

If you follow this guide and ignore the portion about registry cleaners, you will be very happy.
I am making my choice based on my own years of experience and the abundant knowldege that I have acquired, here on Windows7.
Suggestions for Proper Maintenance
Oh, trust me, anything dealing with the registry makes me nervous. But I used windows safety scanner and every time, it said I had this specific invalid registry (which I couldn't get rid of even after cleaning it multiple times). I got nervous, thus went searching for a cleaner that works and Glary got rid of it. I definitely don't want to take chances or play around fixing the registry. I will check out that link.

Thank you (everyone) for the input.

This is such a great place. I've gone through an unescapable virus every year and want to do everything to prevent it and be a little more knowledgeable.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I have both, and they both work fine on my machine. BUT, I have 3 types of system images, and Erunt makes daily registry backups. I have 5 or 6 programs that have reg cleaner ability, and none have yet borked my machine. BUT I won't recommend them to anyone. Your machine will react differently, and is everyone as backed up as I am? CCleaner seems to be the least likely to bork your system. But least likely isn't won't. Look into system image backups before looking into registry cleaners. registry cleaners should be low on the to do list. Backups, Security, etc. come first. A Guy
You're right and I was going to use CCleaner but I had issues using it in my other computer (though I think it was because of the virus) - I liked that it backed up the reg every time as a precaution. So I searched for a new program and I chose Glary based on the reviews/comments.
You have come to the right place for both information and for sharing it with others.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #9
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JayC2 View Post
System image backups? I'm not too familiar with that ...do you mean system restore?
Have a read, this is a native Windows 7 function:

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

Many users also use Acronis True Image, Macrium Reflect, Norton Ghost, or One of the Paragon backup programs.

I have Acronis and Paragon Drive Backup myself. A second hard drive, whether internal or external is the best place to store a backup locally. Some also use online backup storage. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #10
Subsonic

Windows7 x64 7600 16385
 
 

[QUOTE=JayC2;811452]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
@ Subsonic Nice Avatar.


You're right and I was going to use CCleaner but I had issues using it in my other computer (though I think it was because of the virus) and I only used it for a day or so, I downloaded it after I realized my computer was infected - I liked that it backed up the reg every time as a precaution. So I searched for a new program and I chose Glary based on the reviews/comments. System image backups? I'm not too familiar with that ...do you mean system restore?
Lots of good info here for you JayC2! rich46 gives good, cautious advice about not touching the registry. That being said, it makes me crazy to find lots of "orphaned" entries in my registry after trying all sorts of programs. I've tried several of the registry cleaning programs and indeed, some did mess up my system. CCleaner NEVER has. I also use Revo Uninstaller, which if you think about it, also does registry cleaning, just directed at the program it is uninstalling. Yet Revo doesn't seem to generate the controversy over the registry cleaning.

"A Guy" offers a great tip when he mentioned ERUNT! It has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. I have it set up to take a daily backup of my registry via the task scheduler. It has worked for me when "System Restore" wouldn't. Good luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Registry..




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can you copy a WinXP Pro registry entry into Win 7 registry
Hello, Background: 1. I have a program I use always, I have the install disks and can install it on Win 7 Pro x64. It is a 32 bit program. However, this program had a critical patch issued as a download way back when and this patch cannot be installed on the 7 system, because the installer is...
General Discussion
Cannot delete certain Registry Key; Cannot change Owner of Registry Ke
In order to get rid of the *.zip folder view in WinExplorer on a64bit WIn7 system I tried to delete (according to some tutorials) the Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{E88DCCE0-B7B3-11d1-A9F0-00AA0060FA31} Unfortuantely this is NOT possible immediately....
General Discussion
Registry: can't control Desktop Background Slideshow in registry?
Just a rough test: 1. No slideshow on desktop; 2. Backup the registry file; 3. Turn on the slideshow (Desktop - Personalize - Desktop Background - Select All - Save Changes); 4. Run the backup registry file; The desktop starts with the original picture (the desktop wallpaper picture...
Customization
Registry problem after windows update and registry optimization tool
Hello sevenforum, I've already spend some time on this forum today but I can't find the solution to a particular registry problem I'm having. While windows was uploading some updates yesterday, I cleaned my registry using Iolo's system mechanic tool and that's where the problems started. (I...
Backup and Restore
Driver Sweeper can't delete all registry files in registry editor
http://i2.aijaa.com/b/00227/9175142.png So this is the situation: I've unistalled Amd Driver from Device Manager, Unistalled Catalyst software and ran Driver Sweeper. There is only 3 registeries that the Driver Sweeper CAN'T delete and these are under SYSTEM\ folder. I've tried to change user...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App