Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows do not play any Media Files (you can hear sounds though..)

19 Aug 2010   #1
MariosX

Windows 7 x64
 
 
Windows do not play any Media Files (you can hear sounds though..)

Hello!
Windows do not play any media files and more but I can hear the sound effects windows play (Critical Alarm, Windows Start-up, Windows Shut-down, ding, beep etc..) and also I can hear any sound/music, etc from Firefox browser.
I can also hear any music/sounds etc from games
the only problem I have is the media files.

Windows Media Player won't play any media file I throw at it the same problem happens with Media Player Classic Home Cinema (codecs are optional)
this has happened after I followed these guides:
Remove Favorites, Libraries, and Homegroup from Navigation Pane
Computer - Add or Remove from Navigation Pane

I clearly wanted and I still want to hide some items from navigation pane.
If you use it much some items are not needed and are bothersome if you have them.

So I hid Libraries and done everything as it says to remove Homegroup.

So what I have to in order for Media Players play media properly once again?

Except of Restoring everything as it was.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Aug 2010   #2
Lemur

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

1. Go to device manager, find the audio device, and make sure it's enabled.

2. Update your on-board audio device.

3. Click on Start and type SOUND. Click the tab PLAYBACK. Right click to show Disabled and Disconnected devices. Make sure your speaker is Enabled. Right click on speaker and run Test. Should hear up and down notes. Double click on your speaker to bring up Speaker Properties. Go to tab Levels and make sure nothing is muted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #3
MariosX

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I have done everything but the problem persists.

Also if the speakers were mute wouldn't I also be unable to hear any sounds from firefox/games/windows also?

EDIT: I believe it has something to do with the Homegroup because I had configured it to share any media file with the network so I could access the media from my TV and also from Xbox 360 I remember Windows DID something to the Media attributes of the files.

Unfortunately I cannot "Join a Homegroup" right now of unknown probles.

I recovered everything as it were from the Navigation Pane
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Aug 2010   #4
Lemur

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Okay, it may be the codecs. If that's the case, install the K-Lite Codec Pack

K-Lite Codec Pack 64-bit

Adjust your volume settings in Windows Media Player

Make sure the sound icon is not pressed in on Windows Media Player. This will mute it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #5
MariosX

Windows 7 x64
 
 

It's not the codecs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #6
Lemur

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Okay, what if you uninstall and reinstall WMP?

How To Reinstall Windows Media Player In Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #7
MariosX

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Same results but I found something interesting:
In Control Panel => Sound
When I right click on Speakers to Test them I hear sounds.

But when I go to test them in Realtek HD Audio Manager none of the tests work.

Also when I choose "Realtek Digital Output" as Default Playback Device
and then click Properties => Supported Formats
I do not hear anything from the "Encoded Formats" which are:
DTS Audio, Dolby Digital, Microsoft WMA Pro Audio.

But in Sample Rates:
I can hear sound from 44.1, 48.0, 96.0 Khz (192 is not supported from my Speakers: Z-5500 5.1)

I un-installed and re-installed 4 times the newest Realtek Drivers.

I believe there is software conflict.
The latest software I installed was Samsung KIES (latest version) for my Samsung Galaxy S but I don't believe it has anything to do with it cause the previous version worked flawless.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #8
YTBOY83

Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate Edition SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MariosX View Post
Same results but I found something interesting:
In Control Panel => Sound
When I right click on Speakers to Test them I hear sounds.

But when I go to test them in Realtek HD Audio Manager none of the tests work.

Also when I choose "Realtek Digital Output" as Default Playback Device
and then click Properties => Supported Formats
I do not hear anything from the "Encoded Formats" which are:
DTS Audio, Dolby Digital, Microsoft WMA Pro Audio.

But in Sample Rates:
I can hear sound from 44.1, 48.0, 96.0 Khz (192 is not supported from my Speakers: Z-5500 5.1)

I un-installed and re-installed 4 times the newest Realtek Drivers.

I believe there is software conflict.
The latest software I installed was Samsung KIES (latest version) for my Samsung Galaxy S but I don't believe it has anything to do with it cause the previous version worked flawless.
Are all your media files associated properly?????? Have you tried another media player???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #9
MariosX

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rmw020 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MariosX View Post
Same results but I found something interesting:
In Control Panel => Sound
When I right click on Speakers to Test them I hear sounds.

But when I go to test them in Realtek HD Audio Manager none of the tests work.

Also when I choose "Realtek Digital Output" as Default Playback Device
and then click Properties => Supported Formats
I do not hear anything from the "Encoded Formats" which are:
DTS Audio, Dolby Digital, Microsoft WMA Pro Audio.

But in Sample Rates:
I can hear sound from 44.1, 48.0, 96.0 Khz (192 is not supported from my Speakers: Z-5500 5.1)

I un-installed and re-installed 4 times the newest Realtek Drivers.

I believe there is software conflict.
The latest software I installed was Samsung KIES (latest version) for my Samsung Galaxy S but I don't believe it has anything to do with it cause the previous version worked flawless.
Are all your media files associated properly?????? Have you tried another media player???
I have tried VLC Player.

Anyway since I couldn't find any solutions I used system restore which fixed everything.

Thing is I'm gonna do again any modifications I made until I find what caused this problem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2010   #10
YTBOY83

Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate Edition SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MariosX View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rmw020 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MariosX View Post
Same results but I found something interesting:
In Control Panel => Sound
When I right click on Speakers to Test them I hear sounds.

But when I go to test them in Realtek HD Audio Manager none of the tests work.

Also when I choose "Realtek Digital Output" as Default Playback Device
and then click Properties => Supported Formats
I do not hear anything from the "Encoded Formats" which are:
DTS Audio, Dolby Digital, Microsoft WMA Pro Audio.

But in Sample Rates:
I can hear sound from 44.1, 48.0, 96.0 Khz (192 is not supported from my Speakers: Z-5500 5.1)

I un-installed and re-installed 4 times the newest Realtek Drivers.

I believe there is software conflict.
The latest software I installed was Samsung KIES (latest version) for my Samsung Galaxy S but I don't believe it has anything to do with it cause the previous version worked flawless.
Are all your media files associated properly?????? Have you tried another media player???
I have tried VLC Player.

Anyway since I couldn't find any solutions I used system restore which fixed everything.

Thing is I'm gonna do again any modifications I made until I find what caused this problem

Glad that you got it sorted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows do not play any Media Files (you can hear sounds though..)




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
No Windows Sounds, but regular sounds play fine
Ok so I have a simple, but annoying problem. I have no Windows Sound Events like the login sound, the logout sound, and when the battery is low. Every other sound like playing music and running YouTube videos work fine. Even when I turn on my laptop I hear the whole computer startup sound, but I...
Sound & Audio
How do I play .ZVR files in Windows Media Player ?
Hi I got windows 7 ultimate. when I try to play a .zvr file in windows media play, I get: "The selected file has an extension (.ZVR) that is not recognized by Windows Media Player, but the Player may still be able to play it..." etc. etc. How can I make it play it correctly ? I don't want...
Media Center
Files will not play in Windows Media Player
I have holiday movie clips taken on my Panasonic camcorder. I have copies on both desktop pc and laptop. The files used to play ok on both pc's but will not now play on my desktop anymore. I have tried copying the ones that play ok on the laptop back to the pc but the problem still exists. I...
Music, Pictures & Video
Windows alerts and sound files in my Media Player! Not fun to hear
Windows wont let me delete these sound files that are choking my playlists..i tried a system restore, deleting them (not a TrustedInstaller or whatever), and turning off WMP and WMS and turning it back on...they come back as an Unknown Album.. Im not great at the computer thing but basically i had...
General Discussion
how can i play mkv files on tv through windows media player ?
Hi i am using samsung LCD tv and it supports DLNA. I can play all the video files on my LCD tv through windows media player except .mkv format. It does play on pc and laptop but not on LCD tv. The TV does not even show .mkv files. Do i have to install something additional to play mkv files on my tv...
Media Center
Audio files don't play but other sounds do...
I'm running windows 7 ultimate on an acer aspire 3050. System sounds play fine, sound from my internet browser plays fine, but any audio file I try to play doesn't work, any video I play has no audio. I've tried playing different files with different players (Windows media player, media player...
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App