Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Realtek, Windows 7 64RTM Crackle/static/popping

07 Jan 2010   #181
nonews

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Thanks to the contributors on this forum I was able to get the cracking to go away on my Win7x64 system with the Realtek HD audio. This also cured another symptom that I had with playing video in Itunes in which the audio would get further and further behind the video.

After trying several drivers this one change worked for me:

Control Panel --> All Control Panel Items --> Power Options
Select "Change Plan Settings" on the power plan you are using will take you to

Control Panel --> All Control Panel Items --> Power Options --> Edit Plan Settings
Select "Change advanced power settings" which will bring up a Power Options settings box

Expand "Processor power Management"
Expand "Minimum Processor state"
Set to "100%"
Apply That is all.

That worked for me. I later used the DPC Latency Checker tool (mentioned a couple of pages back) to verify that, on my system at least, any setting below 70% caused high DPC latency and a return of cracking and delays.

This issue came close to making me ditch Win7 and go back to XP. This thread lead me to the solution.

Thanks

Using realtek R2.34 drivers C2D E8400 on G31 gigabyte MB




Attached Thumbnails
Realtek, Windows 7 64RTM Crackle/static/popping-minproc5.jpg   Realtek, Windows 7 64RTM Crackle/static/popping-minproc100.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Jan 2010   #182
DBruce49

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
 
 
BIOS change worked

I had the static/scratching sound whenever IE opened a new window and the sound didn't work at all or produced non-stop scratching. What solved the problem was setting the internal sound card to ENABLE from AUTO. Thanks for the suggestion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2010   #183
octane097

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nonews View Post
Expand "Processor power Management"
Expand "Minimum Processor state"
Set to "100%"
Apply That is all.
I'm really glad to hear this worked for you. For me, this is not the case. The only way to make the popping disappear is to exit uTorrent and restart it. My DPC Latency will stay in the green, and I won't have popping, for a few hours. It will come back, and I'll have to do the same thing again. ****ty workaround but it will have to suffice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jan 2010   #184
nonews

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by octane097 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nonews View Post
Expand "Processor power Management"
Expand "Minimum Processor state"
Set to "100%"
Apply That is all.
I'm really glad to hear this worked for you. For me, this is not the case. The only way to make the popping disappear is to exit uTorrent and restart it. My DPC Latency will stay in the green, and I won't have popping, for a few hours. It will come back, and I'll have to do the same thing again. ****ty workaround but it will have to suffice.
Yes is a just a work around as is my solution. Even is I eliminate Processor Power Management as a source of problems, some other condition that I haven't encountered yet may still cause DPC latency issues.

As a follow-up I discovered I can also LOWER the Maximum Processor State to equal the Min Processor state and still get no DPC latency issues. On my setup, at least, Windows 7 Processor Power Management is triggering or causing the latency issues that I assume is causing the audio problems. (Does everyone with the cracking audio problem have DPC latency issues?)

I don't recall having this problem on the Beta or RC. So what changed? Are more things causing latency problems or is the audio system (Windows or Realtek parts) now just more susceptible to the latency problems?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2010   #185
belikexp

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nonews View Post
After trying several drivers this one change worked for me:

Control Panel --> All Control Panel Items --> Power Options
Select "Change Plan Settings" on the power plan you are using will take you to

Control Panel --> All Control Panel Items --> Power Options --> Edit Plan Settings
Select "Change advanced power settings" which will bring up a Power Options settings box

Expand "Processor power Management"
Expand "Minimum Processor state"
Set to "100%"
Apply That is all.
Interesting. All I see on my system is System Cooling Policy. I'm curious how to see the two seetinngs you have "Processor power Management" and "Minimum Processor state".
(I have no issues just curious)


Attached Images
Realtek, Windows 7 64RTM Crackle/static/popping-poweroptions.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2010   #186
nonews

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by belikexp View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nonews View Post
After trying several drivers this one change worked for me:

Control Panel --> All Control Panel Items --> Power Options
Select "Change Plan Settings" on the power plan you are using will take you to

Control Panel --> All Control Panel Items --> Power Options --> Edit Plan Settings
Select "Change advanced power settings" which will bring up a Power Options settings box

Expand "Processor power Management"
Expand "Minimum Processor state"
Set to "100%"
Apply That is all.
Interesting. All I see on my system is System Cooling Policy. I'm curious how to see the two seetinngs you have "Processor power Management" and "Minimum Processor state".
(I have no issues just curious)
Did you turn off Cool'n'Quiet in the BIOS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2010   #187
nonews

Windows 7 x64
 
 
Other data points

My old Venice Core Athlon64 system running Win7x64 RC has no DPC latency issues with Windows 7 Processor Power Management changing the CPU clock and voltage.

On my C2D systems running Win7x64, only disabling C1E did not stop the DPC latency problems. Disabling EIST did prevent DPC issues no matter the windows 7 PPM setting. Disabling HPET lowered latency a small amount but by itself did not prevent latency issues.

I looked at a fresh install of the RC on the C2D system. The latency was just as high but there were fewer cracks in the audio using the audio driver included with the Win7 RC. They were there still. Again. not allowing windows PPM made the DPC latency reduce to the sub 100uS level where there were no problems.

The DPC latency does seem to be the main issue but some audio drivers are more forgiving than others.


Attached Images
Realtek, Windows 7 64RTM Crackle/static/popping-win7rcdpc.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2010   #188
belikexp

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Yes I did. I've had Cool'n'Quiet turned on in the past but I didn't notice any problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #189
SethG911

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Realtek just pushed some new drivers for their NICs to Windows 7 Update this morning. I suggest running windows update, they will be under the "optional" section, look for Realtek - Network - Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. Like I mentioned in my last post, it seems to be a conflict between NICs and other hardware that causes the high DPC latency. Download and install these drivers to see if it helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #190
octane097

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SethG911 View Post
Realtek just pushed some new drivers for their NICs to Windows 7 Update this morning. I suggest running windows update, they will be under the "optional" section, look for Realtek - Network - Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. Like I mentioned in my last post, it seems to be a conflict between NICs and other hardware that causes the high DPC latency. Download and install these drivers to see if it helps.
Don't see it. I updated mine manually a few days ago to 7.11.1127.2009 (11/27/2009). What version is this one?

I agree with you 100% it's definitely a conflict with the NIC. I did buy a standalone Rosewill NIC (which uses a Realtek chip) and had the same high DPC Latency problem!!

See this thread

I found that restarting utorrent is a quick temporary fix.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Realtek, Windows 7 64RTM Crackle/static/popping




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Realtek, Windows 7 64bit Crackle/static/popping
Hello i have a problem with sound, its cracking until i restart my pc its fine for 1-2 days but after crackling returns and i hear it more often as the days pass any help i attached also latecy mon and latency checker the first screenshot is after i restart my computer.
Sound & Audio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Championship Series Crackle/static/pop
Hi guys...new to this windows 7 forum When i play songs on my itunes using my Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality sound card... i keep hearing Crackle/static/popping sounds whenever i run pgrms on my comp basically what i faced is almost somewhat similar to this member's problem...
Sound & Audio
Realtek Audio Static with Acer m5100 Windows 7 Install
Hello all. I am posting here on behalf of my uncle, a man who is not tech savvy and in need of assistance. He has received from his older brother an Acer Aspire m5100 PC, which the brother himself got from a neighbor who was going to toss it out. The PC initially came with Windows 8...
Sound & Audio
Video is choppy and audio is static/popping
Hello, I have a Acer Aspire 5250-BZ479. It has a AMD Radeon HD 6250, 4 GB DDR3 Memory, and a AMD Dual Core Processor C-50. Recently, when I would try to watch a youtube video or a downloaded video, my sound starts to pop and crackle and the video playback becomes choppy. At the same time,...
Music, Pictures & Video
Audio Popping/Crackling/Static Windows 7 x64 on Asus f50 Series
Hello 7 forums, I'm having an issue with my audio that is driving me up a wall. I'm having that (apparently common) issue of crackling/popping/static-y audio on a Realtek chip. I've tried multiple drivers, from Realtek official to Generic to Vista ones. My latency graph has little to no spiking...
Sound & Audio
Windows 7 Realtek crackling/popping sounds.
I get crackling/popping sounds it my games. It's very annoying because it also affect my fps. I tried different driver version and different audio settings but no luck. I notice that it all started after I installed Battlefield Bad Company 2, after I installed my new video card (ATI Radeon HD 5770)...
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:03.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App