Realtek, Windows 7 64RTM Crackle/static/popping

Page 32 of 63 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 64
    Windows 7
       #311


    Bootis said:
    The only common link for all of us has been that Windows 7 is the OS used.


    It certainly seems that way (specific to Windows 7). I've been on the Mp3 bandwagon since the late 90's with dozens of computers and every Microsoft operating system under the sun and I've never run into such a major audio issue as this.

    I tested using the DPC Latency checker and I do see huge spikes after a few hours use that coincide with the audio problems. If I disable the network adapter (NIC), latency immediately drops to green levels and sound is good. However, if I then re-enable the network adapter, DPC latency immediately spikes perpetually into the red and I hear the crackles and stutters. I've tried 5 different NICS and clearly some are worse than others, but they all eventually show DPC latency spikes and therefore affect the audio.

    The net result is I can't listen to music, unless I reboot first, and then after a few hours the latency spikes return and the audio starts going awry.

    I'm using the latest drivers. What else could the commonality be that causes this other than the operating system? I've never had this problem in any other OS. Is it a problem in Windows 7? Or should I be looking at my Motherboard?

    I've installed all the latest drivers. tried using 3 different external sound cards including USB AND PCI based units, installed Codec packs, disabled speaker effects (enhancements), reset the BIOS to the factory default settings, flashed the BIOS, turned off Aero to use a basic theme, uninstalled and disabled any energy saving software, disabled unnecessary devices in the BIOS, tried countless registry tweaks, and so on. This problem is bullet-proof, it seems.
      My Computer

  2.    #312

    the only way ive found that works is what was suggested many pages back and getting those super old drivers i find it kinda sad that neither Microsoft or realtek has had the time to fix what is obviously a very serious issue that many people are having.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 18
    Windows 7 64 Bit
       #313

    At first (read my earlier post) I thought I had fixed this issue by uninstalling the RealTek NIC. Worked until I rebooted then it the noise came back as before.

    I then started to look at Program Applications as a possible cause and sure enough it was a program application

    Are you over-clocking?

    My Fix was to disable an Application, i.e. "Easy Tune" as supplied by my MB Manufacturer Gigabyte.

    Try launching Windows Task Manager (Control Alt Delete) to see what Applications/Processes etc. are currently running and ID those that might be using lots of your Memory Resources.

    Use the Latency Checker to verify Red Spiking associated with any of those listed.

    If you read the Entire thread here several of us got relief using this process. Its a pain in the butt to do but you will need to slowly and methodically ID each to see which is the offending culprit.

    Good Luck!

    DarrylGittins said:
    Bootis said:
    The only common link for all of us has been that Windows 7 is the OS used.


    It certainly seems that way (specific to Windows 7). I've been on the Mp3 bandwagon since the late 90's with dozens of computers and every Microsoft operating system under the sun and I've never run into such a major audio issue as this.

    I tested using the DPC Latency checker and I do see huge spikes after a few hours use that coincide with the audio problems. If I disable the network adapter (NIC), latency immediately drops to green levels and sound is good. However, if I then re-enable the network adapter, DPC latency immediately spikes perpetually into the red and I hear the crackles and stutters. I've tried 5 different NICS and clearly some are worse than others, but they all eventually show DPC latency spikes and therefore affect the audio.

    The net result is I can't listen to music, unless I reboot first, and then after a few hours the latency spikes return and the audio starts going awry.

    I'm using the latest drivers. What else could the commonality be that causes this other than the operating system? I've never had this problem in any other OS. Is it a problem in Windows 7? Or should I be looking at my Motherboard?

    I've installed all the latest drivers. tried using 3 different external sound cards including USB AND PCI based units, installed Codec packs, disabled speaker effects (enhancements), reset the BIOS to the factory default settings, flashed the BIOS, turned off Aero to use a basic theme, uninstalled and disabled any energy saving software, disabled unnecessary devices in the BIOS, tried countless registry tweaks, and so on. This problem is bullet-proof, it seems.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 12
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
       #314

    The problem and solution.


    The problem is caused by bad drivers from realtek; interestingly not the audio driver though. It is caused by the Ethernet NIC drivers. Please run Windows 7 update and acquire the new "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" drivers. If this does not solve your problems make sure the "High Definition Audio Controller" and "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" are not on the same IRQ number. The problem is caused by the Ethernet NIC using too many resources from the IRQ and when this is the same number as the audio card sound gets choppy. You may also want to try to uninstall the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" driver and re-install them. Switching IRQ's is a pain in the butt in Windows 7 and I have not found a fool-proof way of doing it. I was lucky to have two Ethernet NIC's on my motherboard and one happened to have a different IRQ.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 64
    Windows 7
       #315

    I've got the same problem. The problem is not specific to the drivers or sound card - /I've installed all the latest drivers for all devices in the system and tried using 3 different sound cards including USB AND PCI based units, and hear the same problem.

    The problem is related to huge DPC Latency spikes ( Search Google for the DPC Latency checker) that occur after a few hours use, that coincide with the audio problems. If I disable the network adapter (NIC), latency immediately drops to green levels and sound is good. However, if I then re-enable the network adapter, DPC latency immediately spikes perpetually into the red and I hear the crackles and stutters. I've tried 5 different NICS and clearly some are worse than others, but they all eventually show DPC latency spikes and therefore affect the audio.

    The net result is I can't listen to music, unless I reboot first, and then after a few hours the latency spikes return and the audio starts going awry.


    I installed Codec packs, disabled speaker effects (enhancements), reset the BIOS to the factory default settings, flashed the BIOS, turned off Aero to use a basic theme, uninstalled and disabled any energy saving software, disabled unnecessary devices in the BIOS, tried countless registry tweaks, and so on. This problem is bullet-proof, it seems.

    What else could the commonality be that causes this other than the operating system? I've never had this problem in any other OS. Is it a problem in Windows 7? It seems that way. I've been on the Mp3 bandwagon since the late 90's with dozens of computers and every Microsoft operating system under the sun and I've never run into such a major audio issue as this.


    System specs:
    Windows 7 Enterprise x64
    Intel Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
    Memory Configuration 8 GB DIMM DDR Synchronous
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 and GeForce 6200

    American Megatrends BIOS Date: 03/12/09 10:04:29 Ver: 08.00.14 A_M_I_ - 3000912 20090312
    DVD-RAM Model HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50
    (Realtek) High Definition Audio
    nVIDIA GT216 - High Definition Audio Controller
    P5QL PRO ASUSTeK Intel Socket 775

    Some related links to show that this is a huge problem affecting a lot of people:

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/82660ff4-f3ac-4051-b02a-ec03f26deab8
    http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/p/73182/417377.aspx#417377
    The Status of Technical Inquiry Mail "Haqve you tried swapping CPU or RAM?"
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- choppy sound in Windows 7 x64 RTM
    Choppy Windows in Windows 7?

    Realtek, Windows 7 64RTM Crackle/static/popping
    Latest Realtek HD Audio Driver Version
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 6
    Windows 7 64
       #316

    sajuukkhar said:
    the only way ive found that works is what was suggested many pages back and getting those super old drivers i find it kinda sad that neither Microsoft or realtek has had the time to fix what is obviously a very serious issue that many people are having.
    What was the driver you found worked? I'm about to try 1.81 but would prefer to try a newer one than that if it still worked.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 6
    Windows 7 64
       #317

    1.81 didn't work. In fact I was still getting noise while the device was disabled in bios.

    All my NIC ports are disabled as well as best I can see.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 18
    Windows 7 64 Bit
       #318

    Snap Crackle Pop


    "The problem is caused by bad drivers from realtek"

    Sorry Seth with all do respect your assesment is wrong.

    Please read this ENTIRE Thread and All Related Posts and the many complaints of those elsewhere on the NET as it relates to this problem.

    MANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Example: If you go to the Forums at Creative Labs (SounddBalster Audio cards) you will see the many Posts over there all blaming Creative Labs.

    If you do or had done so already, you will find this is not just limted to RealTek.

    Please read all of the posts (ALL of Them) here and elsewhere.

    Thanks!


    SethG911 said:
    The problem is caused by bad drivers from realtek; interestingly not the audio driver though. It is caused by the Ethernet NIC drivers. Please run Windows 7 update and acquire the new "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" drivers. If this does not solve your problems make sure the "High Definition Audio Controller" and "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" are not on the same IRQ number. The problem is caused by the Ethernet NIC using too many resources from the IRQ and when this is the same number as the audio card sound gets choppy. You may also want to try to uninstall the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" driver and re-install them. Switching IRQ's is a pain in the butt in Windows 7 and I have not found a fool-proof way of doing it. I was lucky to have two Ethernet NIC's on my motherboard and one happened to have a different IRQ.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 12
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
       #319

    A bit of clarification.


    In my previous post I blamed Realtek as the cause, when I should have said Windows 7 was the cause... and that the new drivers/switching of IRQs is the solution (for me at least). I believe the problem is caused by Windows 7's assignment and handling of IRQ's causing high DPC Latency, specifically in my case this IRQ conflict was happening with Realtek's NIC. While I agree with Bootis that this is a Windows 7 problem and not a Realtek specific issue, it so happens that switching to a NIC with the different IRQ than my audio card solved it for me; since the majority of on-board NICs are Realtek, I thought my advice about updating or reinstalling the NIC drivers might help some people out. I think the REAL cause is Microsoft not communicating with hardware developers properly. Sorry if I mislead anyone into thinking this was Realtek's fault, or an all-in-one solution.

    In response to Bootis: As I stated in my previous post it is not a sound card issue and I never blamed Realtek's Audio drivers, nor do I even use a Realtek sound card, which is why I don't understand you bringing up Creative. I think if you look back at my history in this thread since December, you'll see I have tried just about everything to fix this problem from complete formats to hardware swaps... also including researching this entire thread and many others. Sorry if my misplaced blame toward Realtek in my previous post made me seem ill-informed. :)

    My intent was not to misinform people, it was simply to share my findings on what I believe to be a Windows 7 IRQ issue. Again, if anyone knows how to switch IRQs manually in Windows 7 (settings in my bios do not affect it) I would really appreciate the advice. It would help if this problem occurs again with future hardware.
    Last edited by SethG911; 25 Feb 2010 at 00:24.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 64
    Windows 7
       #320


    You might want to read this thread. I don't think this is a driver problem.
    Music flickers/crackles in Windows Media Player when browsing the Internet
    I'd like to try mucking with IRQ settings but can't see a way to do this in Windows 7 - the check box is greyed out to alter settings.
      My Computer


 
Page 32 of 63 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46.
Find Us