Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Editing UAC in registry corrupted my sound device

26 Sep 2017   #1
PhKozman

Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 64-bit
 
 
Editing UAC in registry corrupted my sound device

I am desperate for help here T_T
A few days ago I was editing registry keys related to UAC
basically I edited this key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLUA setting its value to 0
This basically makes everything execute with administrative privileges (reboot required).
It worked fair enough and I was done trying it out so I just changed back the changes I did to the keys in that registry directory.
After a few reboots I noticed that the sound wasn't working and the sound icon had a red X on it and said: "No Audio Output Device is installed." when you hover on it.
I checked the drivers, updated, did everything possible I found online, but it never fixed itself...
Until I stumbled on a post which I think is the closest thing to what I am experiencing:
Fixing a customer problem: s WebLog
Also, I tried live booting into a linux os to check if it is a hardware problem but it works just fine with that.
Please help, I know there is something wrong, not to mention that I also experience trouble with some programs which now say something like:
"The program does not have permission to access the profile. Please adjust your file system permissions and try again."
its off topic but I thought I'd mention it


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Sep 2017   #2
pbcopter

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Hi and welcome.

Have you tried performing a system restore to a restore point before you edited the registry?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2017   #3
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

I know it's too late now but it is highly recommended to ALWAYS back up your registry before making any changes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Sep 2017   #4
PhKozman

Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pbcopter View Post
Hi and welcome.

Have you tried performing a system restore to a restore point before you edited the registry?

yes i have, but unfortunately no restore points that dated before the incident were present, i had no backup of the registry as well
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2017   #5
PhKozman

Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
I know it's too late now but it is highly recommended to ALWAYS back up your registry before making any changes.
thanks, you can say I learned that the hard way
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2017   #6
mrjimphelps

Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (VMWare host) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (VMWare guest)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PhKozman View Post
I am desperate for help here T_T
A few days ago I was editing registry keys related to UAC
basically I edited this key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLUA setting its value to 0
This basically makes everything execute with administrative privileges (reboot required).
It worked fair enough and I was done trying it out so I just changed back the changes I did to the keys in that registry directory.
After a few reboots I noticed that the sound wasn't working and the sound icon had a red X on it and said: "No Audio Output Device is installed." when you hover on it.
I checked the drivers, updated, did everything possible I found online, but it never fixed itself...
Until I stumbled on a post which I think is the closest thing to what I am experiencing:
Fixing a customer problem: s WebLog
Also, I tried live booting into a linux os to check if it is a hardware problem but it works just fine with that.
Please help, I know there is something wrong, not to mention that I also experience trouble with some programs which now say something like:
"The program does not have permission to access the profile. Please adjust your file system permissions and try again."
its off topic but I thought I'd mention it
First of all, the fact that everything works fine in Linux tells me that there is no hardware problem; therefore the problem is in Windows.

Second, since it is some sort of permissions issue, I'll take a guess here and say that when you edited the registry to always run with administrative privileges, something got reset in your audio program to require administrative privileges. However, when you reversed your registry edit, the reversal didn't work its way to the audio program. You could test this by logging out, then logging into Windows as an administrator, to see if things improve when you are logged in as an administrator, i.e., with full permissions.

You could try reinstalling your audio program. Perhaps that will fix it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2017   #7
PhKozman

Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
First of all, the fact that everything works fine in Linux tells me that there is no hardware problem; therefore the problem is in Windows.

Second, since it is some sort of permissions issue, I'll take a guess here and say that when you edited the registry to always run with administrative privileges, something got reset in your audio program to require administrative privileges. However, when you reversed your registry edit, the reversal didn't work its way to the audio program. You could test this by logging out, then logging into Windows as an administrator, to see if things improve when you are logged in as an administrator, i.e., with full permissions.

You could try reinstalling your audio program. Perhaps that will fix it.

The fact that it says that the program doesn't have permissions tells me
For some ill reason I couldn't get the audio to work even after I disabled the EnableLUA key which should again make everything execute as administrator. Now I don't know what to do anymore
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2017   #8
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

I have just read through this thread again and really can only conclude that a complate re install of Windows is the only sure fire way of resolving this issue!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2017   #9
PhKozman

Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
I have just read through this thread again and really can only conclude that a complate re install of Windows is the only sure fire way of resolving this issue!!
i have no copy of windows 7, i cant download one because of OEM
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2017   #10
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

I see you have two separate threads on the same subject. This aways causes some confusion! Have you tred what was suggested in post #4 of your other thread?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Editing UAC in registry corrupted my sound device




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Editing registry
Hello everyone! I need to edit my registry to make it read only but do not know how. Could someone kindly help me out. I am using Win 7 Prof. (32 bit). Will appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you.
General Discussion
Editing the Registry
I would always advise new users to leave the registry alone if they are not sure of what they are doing. When they gain a little more experience then before editing anything in the registy,I would recommend they create a backup. I notice in a number of tutorials the question of creating a backup is...
General Discussion
Registry Editing
I have a Windows 7, 64 bit computer. A certain windows modification says " create a Dword etc. in Regedit. I know there are two editors in Win 7, the regular Regedit-64 bit editor and the subset-WOW 6432Node editor. Can I create the dword in regedit-64 bit editor or must I switch to the WOW...
Performance & Maintenance
Registry Editing for Dummies
A few weeks ago I experienced a problem that is still not resolved, with videos on my WMP12 being impossible to view, even though audio is fine. I am still trying to figure this out. Not sure what triggered this. Decided to deactivate WMP12 in Windows 7 for the time being, so it is not...
General Discussion
Batch editing of Registry
I want to edit my registry to remove EVERY reference to a program which I have uninstalled, but which still has dozens (or more) of references still embedded in the registry. Is there a registry editor in which I can enter one single word, and the editor will search out every mention of that...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App